Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm.
The way you have it right now poses two issues:
1. At rest, the headlight switch (87a) and the bcm (30) are shorted together, which is contary to how the car is designed.
If these two WHITE/ browns in the car are the same exact wire, the relay has no effect one way or the other......but if they're different wires that do different things, um, that could be bad.
2. So you've got 85 connected to the WHITE/ red from the remote start......where's the remote starter's white connected?
-----------------------
The WHITE/ red and the white wires coming from the remote start, are simply terminals 87 and 30 of the built-in parking light relay (the 87a terminal is not available externally)........so basically, you've got a relay already built in there, no need to buy another.
Imagine a pipe with a shutoff valve in the middle. The white and the WHITE/ red are the two ends of the pipe.......when the Audiovox unit wants the parking lights on, it opens the valve and lets the electricity through.
Just like you could turn the pipe around backwards and it would still work, you can get the white and the WHITE/ red backwards if you want.............but again, just like a pipe, the "valve" has no effect if one end of the "pipe" isn't hooked up to something.
-----------------------
Two ways to do parking lights on the Caravan:
1. The tech sheet lies. You can use positive parking lights, and nothing will explode.
Connect the Audiovox WHITE/ red to constant power.
Connect the Audiovox white, to the WHITE/ brown positive parking light wire in the driver's kick panel. There are several WHITE/ browns there, so you must test.
NOTE: When using positive parking lights, the background illumination for the dashboard lights doesn't come on with remote start....doesn't hurt anything, just didn't want you to be surprised.
2. Connect Audiovox WHITE/ red to chassis ground.
Connect Audiovox white to one side of a resistor. Connect the other side of the resistor to the WHITE/ brown at the parking light switch.
It sometimes happens that you'll end up getting headlights AND parking lights, instead of just headlights. If that's OK for you, leave it alone, or try a slightly different resistor.
--------------------------------
Also, I just figured out, you're probably using a diagram that wants you to relay-isolate the car's wire from the switch.............that's because the switch also gives out a small resistance even at rest.........that's why I just experiment with the resistor value, but you can do it the way they want too.
The diagram I think you have would go like this.....you've got it close, but not quite right.
(NOTE: The WHITE/ red and white wires from the Audiovox........it doesn't matter which one goes where. If you have the WHITE/ red and the white backwards, it's ok.)
Audiovox: WHITE/ red to ground.......so now the white wire puts out a ground when the unit wants the parking lights to flash. If you don't connect the WHITE/ red to something, the white does nothing.
85: white parking light output from Audiovox
86: constant
87: resistor, with other end of resistor connected to ground
----Take the WHITE/ brown coming from the headlight switch, and cut in half.
87a: "switch side" of the wire that you cut....the side that's coming from the car's parking light switch.
30: "car side" or "bcm side" or whatever you prefer to call it........the BROWN / white wire that leads into the car's body.
qtrmimike 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the input.  Understanding the logic of the system is what I needed to understand the wiring.  You are correct in what you said at the end of the post, I am using the diagram that wants you to relay-isolate the car's wire from the switch.

Based on what you said, the internals on the Audiovox is nothing more than a relay for this circuit with the white and WHITE/ red.  I finally get it  audiovox aps 620 in '01 caravan - Page 2 -- posted image.  Revelation is such a great thing.

I really like the ease of option 2 or even using the isolation relay by cutting the wire at the switch.   I will try that in the morning when I have good light again. 

My last question ( I hope ) concerning this :  I am concluding that the black will still continue to be connected to ground....i don't see that changing.

Thanks again for all your help!!! This has made for a very happy wife!!!  WOOHOO.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
You're welcome! I like trying to explain things, and I hope I didn't talk too much. I sure wish the installation manuals would give more information.
And yes, the black wire is always for ground. It just so happens that they put the ground wire in the same plug with the parking lights, but it is independent.
qtrmimike 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

You have done an excellent job explaining things.  Understanding the logic and function of the unit make it so much easier to know where the wires go and why.  Now that I understand the logic, I was able to get the parking lights to work with confidence and without issue.  Everything is working great !!!

Words cannot express my gratitude for your expertise!!!  Thank you so much!! 

Happy New Year

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic