icon

remote start 02 grand cherokee limited

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, not too bad for your first install!
Yes, the BLACK/ orange is what you need to have the climate control system come on during remote start. (That's a pretty common color on other Chrysler products, too.)
Also, the RED / black would at first appear to just power up the radio and other non-essential items, but on the Limited, the air conditioning compressor also won't come on without that wire being powered up.
So, in short:
--The BLACK/ orange needs to see accessory for the climate controls to work at all.
--If you intend to use the remote starter during the summer as well as the winter, the RED / black needs to see accessory as well.
--Again, I'm not familiar with Scytek, but the unit's "Ignition 2" output should offer some kind of adjustment, either in the programming menu or with a jumper. Their install manual might use different terminology, but you want to set it for "as accessory" or "off during crank."
xcalibr1 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info Chris. Yes I looked and ignition #2 can be set as accessory #2 so that is what I will do. Then she can use it in the summer if she wants. Before your info I was just gonna cut that wire back out and move it the other. But I like the idea of both accessory wires hooked up. You enlightened me on that one as I didnt realize it had 2 accessory outputs.
I didnt use the t-taps on anything. I actually used crimp connectors we use at work. They are good heavy crimp sleeves with heat shrink that has glue inside. I also use a good crimp tool and not a cheapy Wal-Mart type. Now I have to untape everything but I still like the fact that Im tying into another wire instead of cutting and then re-fitting into one I already did. I still cant believe that I didnt test for the accessory circuit or see that it wasnt working before I buttoned everything up. But how do you learn if you dont make mistakes? As long as the mistakes are like that and dont short circuit anything then I can live with it. At first when I tried everything for the first time and I locked the doors I wasnt seeing the theft light flash and I was worried. Found out after bit that the left rear door wasnt latched fully. Latched it and then it was fine. But with all the info you guys gave me it went well. I just never thought to ask about the heater circuit. I just assumed #1 and since my system didnt show an output #2 I didnt think about it. But now I know that thru a setting I do have accessory #2. I will leave an update on that task but it may be next week. I need a crimp sleeve and more wire ties that I dont have here at home. Thanks again.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Whenever you do get around to those connections - you want to use the orange and brown wires from the relay module.

The orange one is accessory only - brown needs programmed to do accessory 2 (it is listed as programming option 14).

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
xcalibr1 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

Okay I went and hooked up the other accessory and got that working now. Now I just need to find time when I have clean hands to run the antenna up and across the headliner. Now I ordered the same system for my 95 Limited but I wont have to worry about the bypass module on that one. Will be a little easier. At least now I understand the system. The wiring shouldnt be too much different. I'll find out. Thanks again everyone.

GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Not to thread jack, but I just installed an Autopage 662 RS in an '04 Grand Cherokee (using the XK531 programmed as JDL) and it doesn't seem to work properly. When the doors are locked, the horn honks once, and when the ignition is first turned on, the horn honks once and the hazards flash once. I know the bypass is supposed to disarm the factory alarm, but it doesn't seem to. When I arm the RS, the factory LED still flashes. I figured there could be something wrong with the bypass, so I connected a wire with a 460-ohm resistor to the green w/orange wire and tried to trick it, but even that doesn't seem to do anything. What am I missing?
"Drive it like you stole it"
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

GMC4x4Guy, what wire do you have connected from the Autopage to the GWR input on the XK531?

I'm going to guess that if you've connected to a disarm wire and not the status output/GWR output or whatever AutoPage calls it, the XK531's not seeing it long enough to disarm the car, and the GREEN/ orange wire isn't getting a strong enough ground to disarm.

GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I connected it to the GWR wire, not the factory disarm wire.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...easy solution #1 ruled out...I would try manually grounding the GWR near the XK531 and see if the horn still honks. Also, is the GWR programmable to come on right at ignition or a few seconds before? You would probably want it on as early as possible.

GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
It's not grounding early enough; that's the problem. Any ideas on a solution? There aren't any other outputs like this one.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

A couple more questions:

1. Do the lock and unlock work perfectly right now?  The lock button on your remote should honk as described, flash the hazards once, lock the doors, and fade off the domelight.  The unlock button should unlock driver's or all doors depending on how you have it programmed, flash the hazards twice, turn on the domelight and disarm the alarm. 

2. Does the transponder portion of the XK531 work properly?  The car should start and run immediately after the long annoying horn honk, with none of the factory keys anywhere near the ignition switch.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic