icon

to the pro’s, what system do you have?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
I currently have the Compustar Pro P2WSS-AS with the Idatalink ADSALCA and ADS-RNG-C1 for bypass. Just upgraded to this unit from what in my eyes is the junk Viper791XVL. The reason I call it junk is since it doesn't do the range it advertises. Also I would go through a new battery in a week.
So, whats everyone else rocking?
Cris
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt call myself a pro yet but i have a few hundred starters under my belt. i learn something new everyday. i use compustar and love them. i only use pro units but i dont think theres much of a diff. i know what you mean about the viper, i have a lumina with the same model and its junk, my cheapest one way out proforms the viper by far in the range. if you use the backlight on the remote and the vibrate it will eat batteries like crazy. a few problems ive found with the compustar is ppl putting it into passive arming or valet mode and on the 1wsh remotes the battery tabs break and short out the battery if the owner is hard on them (fix this with a wad of dynamat rubber on the back of the battery clip). as far as bypasses i use the one that suits me best for the job. i do alot of new fords so i use the hide-a-key trick and havent had a problem in the cold (careful where you get the key)
The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Scytek Galaxy 2000RS-2W-1 with a 555L in my Saturn - nothing connected except the RS.  The 2-way remote on Scyteks is simple, relatively affordable, and doesn't consume inordinate amounts of battery power - maybe 3 replacement batteries in the year I've had it.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

companies that i have used over the years

1)scytek

2)compustar
3)DEI
4)autopage
5)JBS Technologies (bulldog)
6)audiovox

heres my intake on the units.

Scytek, very cheap and durable unit for its price. it performs really well, good battery life and it does do the advertized range about 2500ft paging. the only issue with this is the unit is very chunky in size and the remotes have a very cheap feel and look to them. 

Compustar, the best unit i have ever used. has all features taht you can think of and with passive arm, RPS knock pad, nice ergonomic control that is very stylish and amazing on battery life. The rage is superb and i ONLY use the pro versions. installed the normal 2w900fm - as, but they are nothing compared to the Pro series. Also, compustart understands that people do drive manual cars and offer tranny specific models for those manual cars. A reservation mode must be entered to allow the car to start and it ensures the vehicle is not in gear. - smart thinking compustar !

DEI, very well known and trusted for their units and tech support (authorized dealers only). they have up to date wiring charts which is nice. they are known as the high end alarm systems. you might have heard of Viper, Clifford, Avital, Astrostart etc. they are all one company and each unit is just branded differantly. THey have nice remotes, lifetime on relay packs and brains which is nice. Too bad they dont offer a manual safe unit for any car. because of compustars manual safe start systems, DEI made the 689m. a NEUTRAL SAFETY SYSTEM, where the user must enter a reservation mode just like compustar systems, but it means you have to spend more money. the paging on the units are delayed up to 10 seconds on some units. the advertized range is kinda BOASTED for what those units can really do. the ease of use would be a 10/10.

Autopage, super micro remotes take up no room in your pockets at all. Buttons are sometimes a PIA to get to if you got big ass fingers. Screen quality is very good, high res and real time paging just like compustar. the unit is fairly small, they offer all features that other units would offer except the manual safe tranny, unless they have somthing new. btw i dont really use autopage anymore so not really updated with their products so bare with me. range on these are superb. tech support is very good.

JBS Technologies (bulldog), super cheap units, i guess its reliable, range sucks, but hey it does the job for under 150 for a paging system. and they offer manual safe units ! btw they went bankrupt for a while so their tech support sucks balls. the guy that is talkin to you wants you off the phone.

Audiovox - older audiovox units are very dependable and very easy to install and use. these units are comparable to scytek. Unless you have the new CODE ALARM OLED pager, that is just as good as the compustars base line, if not better ! well thats all i have to say and hope you learned something. one day im goin to do a full review on the units i have used and installed.

BTW, i use a compustar P2W900FM - AS

StealthEs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I do have to say that from the unit I've used and installed ( DEI, Black Widow, Audivox, Compustar ) the Compustars have been by far the best.
We recently started carry Compustar at work and are a Pro dealer. I really like the remote for the P2W900, but wanted the range of the 2WSS.
Overall that remote is a bit bigger then the Viper so its not so bad.
Cris
hydroz_23 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
wow! i cant believe you just compared a audiovox with a scyteck. no comparison. audiovox is not the best system but much much better than a scytek
tedmond wrote:

companies that i have used over the years

1)scytek

2)compustar
3)DEI
4)autopage
5)JBS Technologies (bulldog)
6)audiovox

heres my intake on the units.

Scytek, very cheap and durable unit for its price. it performs really well, good battery life and it does do the advertized range about 2500ft paging. the only issue with this is the unit is very chunky in size and the remotes have a very cheap feel and look to them.

Compustar, the best unit i have ever used. has all features taht you can think of and with passive arm, RPS knock pad, nice ergonomic control that is very stylish and amazing on battery life. The rage is superb and i ONLY use the pro versions. installed the normal 2w900fm - as, but they are nothing compared to the Pro series. Also, compustart understands that people do drive manual cars and offer tranny specific models for those manual cars. A reservation mode must be entered to allow the car to start and it ensures the vehicle is not in gear. - smart thinking compustar !

DEI, very well known and trusted for their units and tech support (authorized dealers only). they have up to date wiring charts which is nice. they are known as the high end alarm systems. you might have heard of Viper, Clifford, Avital, Astrostart etc. they are all one company and each unit is just branded differantly. THey have nice remotes, lifetime on relay packs and brains which is nice. Too bad they dont offer a manual safe unit for any car. because of compustars manual safe start systems, DEI made the 689m. a NEUTRAL SAFETY SYSTEM, where the user must enter a reservation mode just like compustar systems, but it means you have to spend more money. the paging on the units are delayed up to 10 seconds on some units. the advertized range is kinda BOASTED for what those units can really do. the ease of use would be a 10/10.

Autopage, super micro remotes take up no room in your pockets at all. Buttons are sometimes a PIA to get to if you got big ass fingers. Screen quality is very good, high res and real time paging just like compustar. the unit is fairly small, they offer all features that other units would offer except the manual safe tranny, unless they have somthing new. btw i dont really use autopage anymore so not really updated with their products so bare with me. range on these are superb. tech support is very good.

JBS Technologies (bulldog), super cheap units, i guess its reliable, range sucks, but hey it does the job for under 150 for a paging system. and they offer manual safe units ! btw they went bankrupt for a while so their tech support sucks balls. the guy that is talkin to you wants you off the phone.

Audiovox - older audiovox units are very dependable and very easy to install and use. these units are comparable to scytek. Unless you have the new CODE ALARM OLED pager, that is just as good as the compustars base line, if not better ! well thats all i have to say and hope you learned something. one day im goin to do a full review on the units i have used and installed.

BTW, i use a compustar P2W900FM - AS

StealthEs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
hydroz_23 wrote:
wow! i cant believe you just compared a audiovox with a scyteck. no comparison. audiovox is not the best system but much much better than a scytek
I don't think hes comparing just stating the different systems he has used.
Cris
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
gee, if you read, "older audiovox units are very dependable and very easy to install and use. these units are comparable to scytek" im sure i did mention OLDER
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Audiovox's manuals are not the easiest to understand- and they are a PITA to program. But their quality is good. I installed them exclusively for 4 years. I continue to install them occasion.
I have installed Clarion Ungo that is made for them by DEI (Valet) and there quality is good, I have replaced a few remotes, however. DEI's AutoCommand and ReadyRemote (DIY) models junk (what do you expect) but they do work.
I have installed 2 Scytek units (one in my wife's car) and I have no complaints.
I am predominately installing Ultrastarters and have had a few remote issues but the installs are slick and they have models for manual transmissions, and models with 1 mile range that DO GO a mile (tested myself).
As for my car, when I bought it 6 years ago I had an old ON_START OS3000+ sitting on the shelf from 1998 so I installed it. It still works but the range sucks. (If anyone has an install manual form one of these things, please let me know.....)
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

In my car I have a Clifford Solaris 5.  I really want to upgrade it to a Compustar 2-way, but that means replacing both window modules which is expensive. 

At work we mainly do Panther for the cheap alarms and Compustar for the expensive one's. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic