icon

Ground When Armed Output Purpose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
one_slows2k 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of installing my viper alarm (5002) on a 2000 s2000 and will probably have TON's of question for the install...    My first question, one of the wires on the alarm is titled "H1/12 Orange(-)500 mA Ground-When-Armed-Output" --->  I'm not doing any remote starts, or anything like that, would I still need this?  what exactly is its purpose? 

Thanks for the clarification!

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
I am sure it has several purposes, but the one that comes to mind is for an aftermarket LED array called a scanner. 
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Generally do not need that wire unless you are adding some type of accessories. I used mine for a window roll up module. For a basic alarm install however and adding no additional components or sensors, you will not need the ground when armed output.
It Hz
one_slows2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

actually, i'll be adding 2 additional sensors.. ummm, tilt and radar...  they plug right in to the brain....

so am I right to assume that I would need to wire this then (ground when armed output)?  Do i just simply bolt this wire to the car's chassis?  sorry for the noobie questions, appreciate the help

hydroz_23 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
starter kill
rhythmicnoise 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 4:57 AM / IP Logged  
I have a very similar question with a Clifford Arrow 5. I have the same wire orange(H1/17 on my harness) and for the same purpose-ground when armed. I had assumed that I simply leave this wire alone, until I add an accessory.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Yea that wire is for a starter kill. If you wire that up, as long as the vehicle is armed, the vehicle cant be started. Another thing you could use that wire for is for adding sensors. Sensors get power reguardless if the vehicle is armed, disarmed, or even being driven.  So you can actually wire that ground when armed output to the sensor's power wire. Thus the sensor will only be powered when the vehicle is armed. It can save battery power though those sensors dont draw alot of current anyways. You will just need to remember that the ground when armed output is a negative trigger and the sensors power wires are a positive polarity. You will need to have a relay to convert the polarity. I have 2 sensors; a tilt and motion sensor, that will have their power running to that ground when armed output wire. I will be using 1 relay to convert that wire to positive then. That single wire will power both those sensors. Just remember that the ground when armed output is only a 500ma current. Those sensors need alot more than 500ma. So you install that relay. The current from that wire will trigger the relay. The relays power wire will then in turn power both those sensors. Hope some of this helps you and whenever in doubt, simply ask us.
one_slows2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you to everyone.  I like this forum alot, its very noobie friendly! 

rhythmicnoise 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
audioman2007 wrote:
Yea that wire is for a starter kill. If you wire that up, as long as the vehicle is armed, the vehicle cant be started. Another thing you could use that wire for is for adding sensors. Sensors get power reguardless if the vehicle is armed, disarmed, or even being driven. So you can actually wire that ground when armed output to the sensor's power wire. Thus the sensor will only be powered when the vehicle is armed. It can save battery power though those sensors dont draw alot of current anyways. You will just need to remember that the ground when armed output is a negative trigger and the sensors power wires are a positive polarity. You will need to have a relay to convert the polarity. I have 2 sensors; a tilt and motion sensor, that will have their power running to that ground when armed output wire. I will be using 1 relay to convert that wire to positive then. That single wire will power both those sensors. Just remember that the ground when armed output is only a 500ma current. Those sensors need alot more than 500ma. So you install that relay. The current from that wire will trigger the relay. The relays power wire will then in turn power both those sensors. Hope some of this helps you and whenever in doubt, simply ask us.
I may need to start my own thread for my install. I've got an immobilizer harness with 3 black wires (H2/1,H2/2,H2/3) for normally open or normally closed circuits.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
The ground out when armed is only for starter kill relays and shouldn't be used for anything else. I wouldn't recommned using it to power a relay to supply power to any sensor. If you use it for this purpose the relay will be energized when the alarm is armed. The resulting draw of around 150 ma will kill a vehicle's battery in a day or so. Sensors should always be hooked up as the instructions say. They are almost always hooked to battery and constant ground. They only draw a couple of ma or so. Sensors also tend to trigger right after they are powered up, so it could cause false alarms when arming. It is important to understand that when using the ground when armed output it should only be connected to one side of the relay coil (Terminal # 85). The other side of the relay coil (Terminal # 86) MUST be connected to an ignition source and NOT to battery. This way the relay is only energized when the alarmed is armed and only when the ignition circuit is powered.
sparky
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic