icon

Ground When Armed Output Purpose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hydroz_23 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=sparkie] The ground out when armed is only for starter kill relays and shouldn't be used for anything else. I wouldn't recommned using it to power a relay to supply power to any sensor.
the ground when armed is not only for starter kills, there are plenty of
things that this wire is required for like starter kill, window modules,
scanning led's, tilt sensors just to name a few.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

My instrustions for my tilt sensor's power wire says to install it to a constant 12V source OR the positive when armed ouput. Now since my alarm has a ground when armed otutput, I would need to install a relay to change polarity. Another thing, sparkie said that connecting it to the ground when armed output might draw too much current and drain the battery, which might be true BUT explane to me whats different about connecting the sensor to a constant power source? When a sensor is connected to a constant power source, that sensor will have constant power to it reguardless if its armed or not. My shock sensor that came with my alarm plugs right into the brain. I will have my car disarmed and when I tap on the sensor itself, the LED's light up. I kinda hate that because I only want my sensors working when the car is armed.

hydroz_23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
it will not drain too much, you have nothing to worry about. what other wires are on your tilt sensor besides 12v when armed?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
trigger and ground. Your battery will still lose the same amount of "juice" reguardless if the sensor is connected to the positive battery terminal or the ground when armed ouput.
hydroz_23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
that sensor with or without a relay is not gonna drain your system
jaybizz 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
i totally disagree with the statement that this wire is only for starter kills. u can use this wire for multiple things, such as starter kill, window rollup when you arm the car, scanners and more. the main thing to keep in mind when using this wire is to use diodes. what you would do is cut the wire in half and depending how many other things your planning to use when the car is armed is: say you have window rollups and a scanner, you use a diode with the white line facing the brain. then you connect the orange wire from the window rollup module and the scanner and join it with the orange wire from the alarm towards the brain side of the diode. then you use pin (85) of the starter kill and connect it on the other side of the diode(this is so the starter kill relay does't feed back through anything) and then pin (86) of the starter kill to ignition. doing all of this will make it so and only so when you arm the alarm the windows will go up(in case by mistake you or the passenger left one of the windows down)and then the scanner(s) will light up and the car will not be able to start with the key or another tool while the alarm is armed.
alarm king
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Yea you can use the ground when armed output to do starter kill PLUS anything else you want. You just need to use a relay. For instance use a relay for the starter kill. You would splice the ground when armed output into 2 wires. You would run 1 to the starter kill relay. I agree and would use a diode. Better to be safe than sorry. Then the other spliced wire would go to another relay which would be for sensors, window modues, led's. Wait. hmmm. So I could add another LED to my system? I wanted to do that. The alarm I have has the LED at the antenna. I wanted to keep that intack but add another LED. So I could simply use the ground when armed output run it to a relay to change the polarity, then run it to the power of the LED correct?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
The extra LED I got with my alarm has 3 wires: Constant 12V, ignition, and ground. Now since I will be hooking the LED up to the ground when armed output (using a relay to convert polarity) do I just run both the LED's constant 12V and ignition wires to that relay or do I run the constant 12V to constant 12V and run the ignition wire to the relay? I only want the LED to work when the vehicle is armed and no other times.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am sorry for starting such an uproar. Yes, I should have mentioned that you can use the grd out when armed for other things. My intent was to bring to light a common problem that some inexperienced installers make. Alarm sensors don't draw much current and it makes no difference if they are hooked up when the alarm isn't armed. They won't do anything unless the alarm is armed. The big problem that I have seen many many many installers make is to use it to ativate a relay which has the other side of the relay coil connected to battery. I have seen many upset customers and angry people after it is discovered that the battery was killed because of an improperly wired relay. The other factor that needs to be addressed is that transistorized outputs are rated for certain current demands. Using the output for too many devices can overload the transistor and casue it to fail. Not something you want if someone does try and hot wire the car.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I totally understand sparkie. People on here that ask questions and dont know much when we go and answer them, you should try and keep it as simple as possible for them so they dont wire it wrong and possibly cause a big problem, thus blaming it on us. But then on the other hand, lets also add the fact that you can do these things with that relay, for those of us who do know the basics and wont mess anything up. But one thing sparkie, could you possibly answer my question about the LED I posted above? The LED I have (thats not installed) has 3 wires. One is for constant power, one is for ground, and the other is for ignition. I want to run this LED off the ground when armed output so that the LED ONLY works when the car is armed. Now I think i tested this before and the only time the LED would work is when I had both power wires connected to the battery positive (so therefore both need to have power to them inroder for it to work). Now does this mean I run the constant 12V wire to constant 12V and run the ignition wire to the ground when armed wire (using a relay to convert polarity) or can I run both wires to that relay for the ground when armed wire, oor does it even matter? Thank you in advance. Oh and we arent trying to stir anything up here. We just want to get as much useful info out there to help everyone else. Thanks.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic