icon

Ground When Armed Output Purpose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I just tested out that LED. The only time it lights up is when I have the black wire grounded, and the red wire to constant power. As soon as I touch the ignition wire to the battery positive, the lights go out. So does that mean I ignore the ignition wire all together and just wire up the red wire to the ground when armed wire (using a relay in between)?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

Try hooking the constant power to constant power, the ground to ground, and the ignition to the (-) when armed wire.

Most ignition systems rest at ground, so when the igntion isn't on it is grounded.  If this doesn't work, then try hooking the constant up to constant, don't use the igniton wire, and wire the ground to the ground when armed.

Kevin Pierson
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I just tried that. I touched the constant to the battery's positive terminal and grounded both the ground and ignition wires to the negative bettery terminal, and it worked. BUT, it will also work it I dont use the ignition wire at all. But if I touch the ignition to positive, it wont work. So does that mean that If I wire it up exactly how it should be, then when the vehicle is on, 12V will go through that ignition wire causing the LED not to work. Then when I turn the vehicle off, that ignition wire then is grounded thus making the LED light up? But this wont work with how I want to do it. I want to use this with the "armed output" which in my manual says that when I arm the alarm, that wire gets grounded (which is for starter kill). So what I would do is run that "armed output" wire to a relay. That relay would change the polarity from negative to positive. I would run that relay then to the red constant power for the LED. The yellow ignition wire I would leave disconnected, and ground the LED's black wire. This way the only time the LED will work is when the alarm is armed. Would this setup work?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

You don't need the relay - just wire the "GROUND when armed output" to the GROUND terminal of the LED.  Don't connect the ignition wire at all, just tape it off.

Kevin Pierson
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
The LED is designed to be both a LED for an alarm and a fake alarm. I used to sell LED scanners like this. There are a few LED's wired into a small circuit that can flash in different patterns and rates. If you want you can wire it up with battery, ground and ignition. This is the fake alarm method. When the ignition is off the LED flashes and makes people think you have an alarm. If you use it for an alarm system status indicator then only hook up the battery wire to it and the ground for it can go to the alarm's ground out when running wire. The drawback to this method, is that many alarms use the LED that they come with to flash a specific sequence to inform you of something. They can tell you if it is in valet mode, whether it is passively arming or whether or not the alarm was triggered and which zone was violated. You can also just bury the LED that came with the alarm in another hidden area in case you still wish this info.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, well with my alarm, my LED is with my antenna. I have the antenna mounted on the windshield under my rear view mirror. I will leave that LED in tact. But that LED is small and hard to see sometimes at night. Thats why I wanted to have another LED. This LED wont do the stuff you mentioned before, the LED that came with the alarm will do that stuff. I just want this other LED so that people can see it alot better. So would I wire it like I said before, using just 2 wires, the red wired up to the relay for the armed output and then ground the black, or should I run the red to constant 12V and run the ground wire to the armed output?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry Kevin, I wasnt ignoring your post. I just looked at the very last post there was and did not see yours till now.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Run the red to a fused constant and the black to the ground out when armed. Using the brighter LED is a good idea. It is your best deterent to convincing a thief to find an easier target. Mount it where it is visible from either side of the vehicle.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Thanks guys.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok 1 more thing. I have 2 sensors that I want to hook up but I only want them powered when the car is armed. To do this I would need to use that exact same wire the armed output wire. I would have to use a relay to convert polarity ofcource. Now since I want to do that also, can I just connect the constant power to the armed output and  just ground the black wire? I mean i would need to use a relay for those 2 sensors anyways, wouldnt it just be easier to run the LED into the relay as well?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic