icon

Ground When Armed Output Purpose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

You do NOT want to use a relay on the (-) when armed output, it will kill your battery.

Do the same thing you did for the LED, connect the (+) of the sensor to (+) voltage and connect the GROUND to the alarms "GROUND when armed output".

Constantly powered relays on "ground when armed outputs" are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Pierson
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
I second that. This is what I have been talking about. There is no good reason to wire sensors so that they only have power and ground when the alarm is armed. Simply wire them to the alarm like they are supposed to be. Sensors can false if they are powered up at the same time the alarm is armed. Don't complicate things. Your alarm ignores any sensor trigger until it is armed.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

So then I just shouldnt wire the sensors to that wire at all, or can I? If not, then I would wire the sensor's red wire to constant power, and ground the black wire. But that sensor will have power all the time then.

Ground When Armed Output Purpose? - Page 4 -- posted image.

I wanted to wire the relay like this. The - trigger would be the ground when armed output wire.  Pin 87 would go to the LED's power, to the sensors power as well. That relay wouldnt be energized unless pin 85 got grounded, correct? Plus when I go and arm my car, my LED there at the antenna doesnt start blinking (showing that the car is protected) until 10 seonds afterwards. I am not disagreeing with you's at all. I will do what you say, but just want to know if my method will work, plus know alittle more about this stuff.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
That method will technically work, but the 200mA current draw from the relay coil being energized while your alarm is armed will kill your battery in 3-4 days of sitting.
Kevin Pierson
jaybizz 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of sensor is it that you are tryin to wire up?
alarm king
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

The sensors I will eventually install will be a microwave sensor (which I probably wont install) and a tilt sensor.    So what you are saying is I should wire the constant power wires from the sensor(s) and from the LED to a constant power wire thats running to my battery. Then wire their grounds to the armed output "ground when armed" wire?

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Connect the sensor's battery wire to a fused battery source. Connect the sensor's ground wire to a good ground. Forget the ground out when armed wire. Use it for a starter kill relay if you want. Connect the sensors trigger wire to one of the alarms trigger inputs. If you have 2 sensors and only one trigger input, install both sensor trigger wires to the one alarm trigger wire. Install a diode inline in each sensor trigger wire before you join the wires together. Have the band of the diode facing away from the alarm. Forget using a relay. It is not required and will only cause a drain on the battery. The LED for your alarm may have it's own connection out of the alarm. Not all LED's can take 12 volts and usually the alarm has resistance built into the LED output to send the LED the correct voltage. Failure to do this will cause your LED to blow up.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will wire the sensors how you said sparkie, but 1 question. Since those sensors will be powered all the time, will it drain my battery? Also dealing with the LED, I am not talking about the LED that came with my alarm. That LED plugs directly into the brain and I will be leaving that alone. But that LED is small and hard to see from outside the vehicle. The LED I bought says to connect the power wire to a constant 12V source. So therefore it can handle 12V. I went out today and hooked that LED's power wire to a constant 12V (connected it to the battery + to test it). I then ran the LED's ground wire to the armed output from the alarm. As soon as I armed the system, the LED lit up. As soon as I disarmed the system, the LED turned off. So obviously this setup will work. I want to mount this LED on the middle, front part of the dash at the windshied. The LED that came with my alarm is mounted on the windshield right below the rear view mirror and faces down at the center console making it hard to see.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
The sensors draw so little current, it would take a month or more for them to discharge your battery. You can wire the additional LED as you mentioned without any issues. You should be good to go now.
sparky
attlfrank 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hi
The "ground when armed" wire can be used for a power window roll up module,,or a starter kill
That's all I can think,I'm sure the other guy's on this site know more
Hope this helps a little
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic