icon

1995 Cadillac Sedan Deville, New Head Unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cadillac95 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
honestly I got lost in that post, im not someone who understands all this. One of my friends who hooked up my last system is the one who cut the factory harness and now he is nowhere to be found. I have it working just cant figure out why it cuts out when the volume goes up
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
It probably cuts out when the volume goes up because the factory speakers cannot handle the head unit power, or are too low an impedance load for the head unit.  You will probably need to replace the speakers with proper after market units, and you may need to get some help from a pro in your area if you can't follow the instructions on this web site.
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Wow I thought we were dealing with a jensen head unit.      Do you have access to a volt meter so we can do a little troubleshooting?  Did you connect all 6 speakers to the head unit.  The 4 doors and the 2 in the rear deck?

cadillac95 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
right now there are only 4 hooked up to the deck, 1 in each door. what exactly do you mean by troubleshooting? ill do whatever I can to fix it
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have access to a volt meter?
cadillac95 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
yes i do
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Set your meter to the DCVolts setting.  If it is not an auto ranging meter set it to the 20 volts scale.   Touch and hold the black meter lead to the case of the radio.  Touch and hold the red meter lead to the yellow wire of the radio.  Turn the radio up to just before it starts to cut out.  Notice the reading on the meter.  Balance the radio to the left.  Turn it up and see if it cuts out.  Balance it to the right, and check again.  Let me know the reading, and let me know what happened with only one side at a time.
cadillac95 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
the meter i have doesnt have a 20 volt scale it only has 1v-1000v i did what you said and it was at 1.3-1.4 when it cuts off, i dont have a clue wht that means. I also tried to balance it to the left and right but the problem with that is I have to open the screen up to do it and as soon as i open the screen it will cut off and close the screen.
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  

With the volume all the way down, do the thing with the meter again.  Black to case of radio and red to the Yellow wire.  You need to connect the red lead to the metal part of the wire.  where you connected the yellow wire to the orange wire would be a good place to do this. 

When you said the yellow wire is connected to an orange wire, is it the orange wire at the cigarette lighter, or is it an orange wire of the factory wiring?

cadillac95 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
i did it with the volume down and it was pretty much exactly the same 1.3-1.4, its the orange wire of the factory radio. I went through all the wires of the factory radio, is there suppose to be a wire that has power even though the car key is in the off position? cause i couldnt find one, with that meter atleast
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic