icon

Alternative to Dynamat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  

odd?Rubberized Compound-Fatmat sound deadener has a rubberized compound that is fused with a 1 mil Acrylic PSA "Pressure Sensitive Adhesive" Backing. This is the barrier used to absorb the nasty noises you don't want to hear (Rattles, Road Noise, Ect). The PSA backing is strong and very effective in keeping your mat where you want it. Unlike other products on the market with Fatmat you will not need any heating guns or other tools to install it, it's made to form and fuse to just about any surface possible, and it adheres better than any other mats on the market as our customers all agree. The last thing you want is for your mat to fall off in a week after you worked so hard installing it right? The nightmares of using other brand mats would make anyone wish they had used fatmat first. and i also bought direct and got a warranty guess im an idiot. the reason it dsnt stay on my trunk is the FLA sun.

OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
FatMat Sound Control Inc.   Warrants to the original consumer that FatMat & Rattle Trap products will be free from manufacturing defects for a period of ten years from the date of purchase when the material is installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s Application Instructions. FatMat Sound Control Inc will furnish replacement material for that portion that is proven defective without charge.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

daboss wrote:
The nightmares of using other brand mats would make anyone wish they had used fatmat first.

I think not.  Even a cursory inspection of FatMat's products against market leaders like Dynamat Extreme or SecondSkin reveals that FatMat is an inferior product that is made from roofing supplies. 

FatMat is Peel&Seel with a little Napster-like logo painted onto it.  That's it.  The stuff is garbage.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productid=154017-81326-PS625

Think ya got a good deal now?

daboss wrote:
the reason it dsnt stay on my trunk is the FLA sun.

This belies some misunderstandings about thermodynamics - but without even getting into it, I can assure you that unlike cheesy FatMat, SecondSkin or Dynamat will hold with God's own grip up to some ~400 degrees.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
sounddeadenershowdown.com
Your tests are right there.
All those brands like b-quiet, fatmat and such is just re badged Peel and seal(the asphalt versions). Ant at Second actually said somewhere that they started out as the main distributor for those company's, they just bought roofing materials and put labels on them. Second skin has since gotten out of that market to manufacture their own TRUE sound damp materials, ones designed for their application, unlike the cheap knockoff brands that do nothing other than add mass to a panel, which helps, but they do not absorb the resonance and convert it into another form of energy such as heat, like Second Skin does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbxEEM433k
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
so what now i have 2 layers of fatmat in my trunk now? and im half way through my doors? and everyone says its ok ,and everyone says it suck balls. lol
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
It's better than nothing :)
You may as well finish, it will still do a good job and im sure you will be impressed. Next car you get, you will know to give the better products a try, you will be more than impressed.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone ever try this schtuff?? supposed to be pretty good, http://www.cascadeaudio.com/
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
daboss593 wrote:
so what now i have 2 layers of fatmat in my trunk now? and im half way through my doors? and everyone says its ok ,and everyone says it suck balls. lol
the fatmat will eventually fail sooner or later...how fast it fails depends on your climate
Alpine Guy 
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
usabuilt wrote:
Anyone ever try this schtuff?? supposed to be pretty good, http://www.cascadeaudio.com/
Yup, I used some of their stuff too, it's very high quality also, but very pricey.
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 well i already thought of that before the install of the dreaded fatmat leaving my trunk wide open in the fla sun for a full day. to be honest no issues YET? lol ive gone to a buddy who is pro in car audio and says we do have options to prep to do the best we can. and i do understand basics of heat expands, cold contracts. so yeah sooner or l8r it may be an issue as of now with it in the FLA heat for 2 weeks nothing to say but thats not to say it wont. to be honest im wized about the false adv fatmat did. my next project car is going to be a 95097 impala ss or caprice ss with a lt1 motor. and no fatmat will not be going in that ride.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic