icon

need advice on mismatched components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmrsnr303 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Right now I am rolling low-budget, just trying to get something that works and sounds half decent for now. Basically I had one Kappa Perfect 6 seize up out of warranty and crossover is damaged because of improper install (thought he shop claims it magically came unmounted). I found myself between a rock and a hard place and on a budget. Saving up for nice components, but  can't afford it quite yet. I will tell you what I have now!

Two old school RF mids (two different models, but all same power ratings, mounting depth, etc) One is RFR-1406 one is PWR-64. I am not going to list all the specs since this thread isn't at all about amping speakers.

Two Infinity Kappa Perfect Tweets

An Orion 200CRX crossover

Now here is my question. What do I do? Also I found a pair of CDT Audio Satnet 400 2 way crossovers on clearance. Here is a link from the auction, it has a lot of info on the crossovers.

https://item.express./dll?ExpressItem&item=110229279556&pid=&wlid=3411358&wlitemid=8077658

Can I use the Orion 200 CRX or is that CDT a nice passive crossover and I should go with that?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

the problem with running mismatched passive xovers is that the xover point changes with the precise impedence of the speaker - umm - however - b/c of situations like urs I've actually ended up doing this - with some pretty good results in some cases, in fact, it is usually CDT passives I end up mismatching.

ur link isn't working for me - but if your expectations aren't for laser precise response - go ahead and grab the CDT passives - I think u'll end up with something very listenable.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

If you go to E-Bay, then click on Express, then type in CDT crossovers...There is only one. The person has 12 of them.  What do you think about those specifically??? They look rediculous for the price. I will wait for your response and maybe one or two others and if they response is a consistent "go" then I will do it. I do have the Orion 200 CRX crossover, too, which I have absolutely no clue how that works! lol

On a side note there are some slammin good deals on E-Bay express. They have the PG Comp Ti 6s for $130 for just the woofers. PG told me today that their DRS (or something like that) component that they make currently uses the same tweeters and that the woofer by far they don't make anything comperable anymore.  I don't really have the money, but it is tempting me hard at that price! lol.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Yea for $30 those xovers are a steal.  Grab 'em.

bmrsnr303 wrote:
They have the PG Comp Ti 6s for $130 for just the woofers

yea I've used the 5-1/4 and the 6-1/2 version of these mids - *nice* gear.  I run the 6-1/2 midwoofer with a 100hz-4khz bandpass with some really impressive results.  They aren't really output monsters, but the detail and SQ is unreal - after dynamatting the door skin, they play down to 50hz flawlessly - these speakers are *really* nice.  Hand-made in Isreal, too.

HOWEVER - I'm not shure that the $160 you'll spend on the CDT's AND the PG's wouldn't be better spent on a matched componet set - your getting to the point where you could grab a quality matched componet set, like say the JL Audio VR series componets - my perennial recommendation for componet speakers - here I would imagine a superior choice to mismatching a bunch of different gear. 

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=sedate]

[QUOTE]

Alright, I will grab them. They actually are from an authorized dealer and have a warranty!

[QUOTE=sedate]

[HOWEVER - I'm not shure that the $160 you'll spend on the CDT's AND the PG's wouldn't be better spent on a matched componet set - your getting to the point where you could grab a quality matched componet set, like say the JL Audio VR series componets - my perennial recommendation for componet speakers - here I would imagine a superior choice to mismatching a bunch of different gear. 

[QUOTE]

The only reason I was thinking about buying the PG woofers is because I talked to PG the other day and:

They don't  make nearly the same quality woofers anymore (I agree, but it was PG tech that said this) BUT they are using the same tweeters in one of their current series, so the tweeters shouldn't be that hard to find. So in reality, even if I do it once piece at a time (only have to pay a bit of money at a time), I should be able to put together the PG component set as it was sold. Now give that info what do you think???

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

bmrsnr303 wrote:
They have the PG Comp Ti 6s for $130 for just the woofers

yea I've used the 5-1/4 and the 6-1/2 version of these mids - *nice* gear.  I run the 6-1/2 midwoofer with a 100hz-4khz bandpass with some really impressive results.  They aren't really output monsters, but the detail and SQ is unreal - after dynamatting the door skin, they play down to 50hz flawlessly - these speakers are *really* nice.  Hand-made in Isreal, too.

HOWEVER - I'm not shure that the $160 you'll spend on the CDT's AND the PG's wouldn't be better spent on a matched componet set - your getting to the point where you could grab a quality matched componet set, like say the JL Audio VR series componets - my perennial recommendation for componet speakers - here I would imagine a superior choice to mismatching a bunch of different gear. 

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

bmrsnr03 wrote:
even if I do it once piece at a time (only have to pay a bit of money at a time), I should be able to put together the PG component set as it was sold. Now give that info what do you think???

Um  - well can u get the PG xover as well?  If not this probably a waste of resources.  The xover is a criical componet of the system sound - responsible for not just the xover point, but the slope and voicing of the componet system.  Again - I'm not sure I'd go about it this way...

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, I can get the crossover, too. The tweeter in the PG RSD series (a current series) is actually NOT the same, but very similar I was told. I can get the exact tweeter from PG, though. They have Each tweeter for $45/ea and there is only one crossover that is $75. I can actually put together the individual pieces for less than if I  bought the component set. I am student and only work part-time right now so I am on a big time budget. I have disposable income, sure, but it is only so much at a time.

PG Ti-6 woofers= $140

PG Tweeters $100

PG Ti-6 crossover=$85 

I think the complete set is $350. Also, if I really wanted to I am sure I could save another $20-$30 by just using the RSD tweeter (since complete component RSD sets are like $70-$80 on EBay)

People use...well maybe not different crossovers...but different tweeters all the time on here it seems like. Is that only with active crossovers? Because as I mentioned i have a Orion 200 CRX and I have acess to a Orion 300 CRX

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Haha yea I cobbled my system together waiting tables at an Italian resturant.  Everytime I had money to fix one problem - something else broke.

bmr wrote:
They have Each tweeter for $45/ea and there is only one crossover that is $75.

Sounds good to me - but I'd go with the proper tweeter.

bmr wrote:
but different tweeters all the time on here it seems like. Is that only with active crossovers

Probably - I'd be surpised if the experienced members on this board run a matched xover and mid with a different tweeter. . .

I mean - I run an active setup with the JL VR tweet and the PG TI elite 6-1/2 mid . . . but again - no xover for me. . .

bmr wrote:
Because as I mentioned i have a Orion 200 CRX and I have acess to a Orion 300 CRX

I dunno what these are link to the product pages.

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Haha yea I cobbled my system together waiting tables at an Italian resturant.  Everytime I had money to fix one problem - something else broke.

Sounds good to me - but I'd go with the proper tweeter

Probably - I'd be surpised if the experienced members on this board run a matched xover and mid with a different tweeter. .

I mean - I run an active setup with the JL VR tweet and the PG TI elite 6-1/2 mid . . . but again - no xover for me. . ..

You area probably right. I was thinking of running an active crossover, though. That is what the Orion 200 CRX is.  http://www.OrionCarAudio.com/Support/Manuals/Accessories/Orion%20200CRX%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

The above link has most all Orion acessories from that gen including the 200 CRX and 3oo CRX both.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic