the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

need advice on mismatched components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
James... Tell 'em to fix their front page! Grammatical and punctuation errors, and most especially the use of "your" when they mean you're, a.k.a. "you are". Idiots. Seems they need a better web designer - one with SPELL CHECK!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

bmr wrote:
I was thinking of running an active crossover, though. That is what the Orion 200 CRX is. 

Wow that PDF is hard to read - uh - yea go active dude.  That 200CRX looks like it would be a fine solution - two way your highs (maybe3khz @ 12db/octave to start) and then use the high-pass-filter on the amplifer to cut off the bottom 100hz.  Use your sub amp/channels normally.

I'll look over it again later - but in the meantime - what amps are you going to use? Link to the product pages.

haemph wrote:
James... Tell 'em to fix their front page! Grammatical and punctuation errors, and most especially the use of "your" when they mean you're, a.k.a. "you are". Idiots. Seems they need a better web designer

Haha - I know for a fact the owner paid $2500 for that site. (of course - he only paid me $9/hr to make the menus.. need advice on mismatched components - Page 2 -- posted image.)

One time he paid the telephone repair guy $80 to replace the phone cord that ran from the bar phone to the wall - that little plastic peice on the top of the plug had broken off - so his solution was to call the phone company and have them send a repair man - who charged the store $75 for an hour of labor and then $5 for a new phone cord.  My face looked like this: need advice on mismatched components - Page 2 -- posted image.

Naww - working at the place was like working in one of those funhouse mirrors - I was wondering if that would show thru in the link.  

I can't tell ya how glad I am to be back in school full-time!

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
bmrsnr303 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

[quote=bmr]I was thinking of running an active crossover, though. That is what the Orion 200 CRX is. 

Wow that PDF is hard to read - uh - yea go active dude.  That 200CRX looks like it would be a fine solution - two way your highs (maybe3khz @ 12db/octave to start) and then use the high-pass-filter on the amplifer to cut off the bottom 100hz.  Use your sub amp/channels normally.

I'll look over it again later - but in the meantime - what amps are you going to use? Link to the product pages.

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/MTX_Blue_Thunder_PRO_504/

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/pro50x4.cfm

Now this 2nd one isn't quite the same, but you can see from the ampguts sheet and the mtx one they are almost exactly the same amps. I will either use the aforementioned  in 4-channel mode or bridge it to two channels and use for the other two channels:

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Support/Manuals/Amplifiers/HCCA%20Series/Orion%20225HCCA%20Installation%20Manual(G1).pdf

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  

Yikes! 

Okay I went back and looked at that Orion pdf and I'm not really sure how you can use either of those two little boxes -

It looks proprietary for Orion gear - I'm not familiar with how to use a DIN output - I mean - are you using all these Orion amps as well?

If not, perhaps a more traditional RCA-based active xover might be better for ya. . .

But anyway - did you end up getting those PG's?  What tweeters are you using again?

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Yikes! 

Okay I went back and looked at that Orion pdf and I'm not really sure how you can use either of those two little boxes -

It looks proprietary for Orion gear - I'm not familiar with how to use a DIN output - I mean - are you using all these Orion amps as well?

If not, perhaps a more traditional RCA-based active xover might be better for ya. . .

Hey good call! Actually I was thinking of using my MTX 4 channel I have, but that won't work! I forgot the Orion acessories use 'Phantom Power' and have to be used with at least 1 Orion amp! I actually do have an Orion 225HCCA Gen1 in transit to me right now. That is just a 2 channel, though, 25X2 at 12V, so like 50X2 at 14.4 I think.  Cheater amp so maybe more???  Hmm. What to do. 

But anyway - did you end up getting those PG's?  What tweeters are you using again?

No I didn't get the PG mids yet, that'll be another 4-6 weeks. I am going to be running some old RF mids I got off E-Bay until finances are in order! lol. A pair of RF Pwr-64.  Right now I will be using the RF mids and my existing Kappa Perfect tweeters.  

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey good call! Actually I was thinking of using my MTX 4 channel I have, but that won't work! I forgot the Orion acessories use 'Phantom Power' and have to be used with at least 1 Orion amp! I actually do have an Orion 225HCCA Gen1 in transit to me right now. That is just a 2 channel, though, 25X2 at 12V, so like 50X2 at 14.4 I think.  Cheater amp so maybe more???  Hmm. What to do. 
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure what you can do with that xover and a 2-channel - you need 4-channels to run an active setup - 2 for the l/r mids and 2 for the l/r tweets.  I really wouldn't go out of my way to run Orion gear.

It doens't look like ur equipment will do this as is - you need an RCA based active xover, a CD player with an active xover, or you need to use passives.

If your head unit isn't waving your flag, swapping in one that has an onboard xover will probably be your cheapest/easiest way to go active at this point - but you still need to invest close to $300 for a suitable piece.

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

I'm not sure what you can do with that xover and a 2-channel - you need 4-channels to run an active setup - 2 for the l/r mids and 2 for the l/r tweets.  I really wouldn't go out of my way to run Orion gear.

It doens't look like ur equipment will do this as is - you need an RCA based active xover, a CD player with an active xover, or you need to use passives.

If your head unit isn't waving your flag, swapping in one that has an onboard xover will probably be your cheapest/easiest way to go active at this point - but you still need to invest close to $300 for a suitable piece.

In looking at the manual it looks like it (the deck) does have some EQ and/or crossover settings.

https://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/KDCX659.pdf

On pages 10-12 I found some information on it. It has some settings apparently I was previously unaware of. I have the KDC-X559 model. I could drone on and on here and maybe I would give you useful info and maybe not, so I just pasted the link and told you where to location the information you would need to reference. I was just reading your thread you started back in 05 about bi-amping. I am going to print that out. I am learning a lot but can only learn so fast, so hopefully I will be at a level somewhere approaching where you were then at some point before too long! haha. Thanks for your help! Let me know what kind of Crossover/EQ situation I need once you see what options my deck has. Thx!

bmrsnr303 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

bmrsnr303 wrote:

I actually do have the 4 channel MTX. Just FYI it is a MTX Blue Thunder Pro 504.

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/MTX_Blue_Thunder_PRO_504/

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/pro50x4.cfm

That model isn't the exact same cosmetically, mine is Blue Thunder Pro 504, but I am assuming it has all the same features and is just a newer version of the one I have. I have e-mailed MTX to verify this and am waiting for their reply

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Right but you have to use that xover with an Orion amplifier - so the MTX 4-channel isn't going to help you with that xover.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic