the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

installer’s point of view

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
hey all, long story short. I have been installing alarms and remote starts since i was 12 or so and have about 5 years of knowledge and experiance. Befor that, my mother purchased her car from the dealer, and they offered to put a remote start into it. The unit is an Artic Start 3-button 1way alarm/rs. Now After being familliar with alarms, i found out the dealer that installed the alarm/rs. They neglected to hood up the tach and the second starter wire. Should i just open it up and wire in the second relay and run the tach OR bring it back to the dealer that installed it for me - as all car shops do lifetime warrenty. i just want to know because during cold days the car doesnt even start it tried 3 times and thats it stops. when its warmer out it starts but has grind since its on voltage sense. but from Installers POV what do you think i should do. 1) bring it back 2) to hell iwth it and do it myself.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

That's a tough situation.  If your Mom paid for the install you should get a quality install.

But, the other side of that is they took a shortcut the first time, are they going to get it right the 2nd time?  If you do it yourself at least you know its going to be done right.

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
i know what you mean kpierson, I have been thinking about this since i have my high school march break, i dont know waht is best. Do you think they will charge me for the fix ie adding the relay and running a tach which they should have done in the first place? i dont mind spending 5 bucks for a relay to be honest, but any 1 want to chime in on this? thanks
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

I can agree with Kevin. They gave it their best on the first try, and failed miserably... do you want to give them another attempt?  If it's not that big of a deal for you to do it yourself, do it, then let

them know you had to correct their mistakes.

KPierson 
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

If installation was paid for then they shouldn't charge you at all.

I would take it back to the dealer and complain to them about it not working right.  Then ask them if they hooked up the 2nd starter wire and ask them where specifically the tach wire was hooked up to.

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
i have removed the drivers kick and checked the knee kick area and steering collumn. They have everything wired up properly, very clean but they didnt bother connecting the second starter wire and tach. I know the tach can be found there as well but yea i guess they cut corners. I kno for sure they didnt hook up the second starter wire as i opened and glanced at their job, didnt touch anything. THe crappy thing was, at the time i had very little knowlege on alarms/rs so my mother paid 700 dollars for a 1way wth! lol only if i knew befor i would have demanded a pager system. kartuneman, to be honest its not a big deal to me, if i do it by mysell, ill hook up the defrost, run the tach and the additional relay. Do you know of the artic start has a 5th relay programmable output? . I thank both you Kevin and KTM for giving some insight to my questions. .
tedmond 
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
btw this is a 2002 Toyota Camry LE V6. the tach is at the fuse box area and GEEZE they couldnt spend 2 min to tap into this wire.
KPierson 
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

If she paid $700 for it I would definately take it back.  If you are going to rip people off then at least do a decent installation job.

I'm guessing the dealer subbed it out to a local shop/installer?

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
yea 700 for a decent job its not wired in completely. The local dealer did send it out to a local shop. The thing is, i went to artic starts website and found 5 local shops that were authorized dealers. i called each dealer and they said they dont install for toyota. i questioed the dealership and the guy i was talkin to had no idea. i guess i have to call again and see exactly where it was installed. if i cant find it i guess its an hour of my time in my garage.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Damn 700 dollars for a crappy incomplete install?? That's crazy what some places let leave their shop.. If your mom payed that much send it back to them so they FINISH their install that you payed them for. I know i'd never let a car leave like that from my bay.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic