icon

installer’s point of view

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
I would bring it back. I will not warranty a RS that someone has messed with and i know my work and supplies that i use. in other words if something happends to the brain and they figure out you messed with it even if you know 10 times more than them and can do it right they may not warranty it
The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
Ted, 5 years is probably too long for comebacks in the real world. With your knowledge you could do it yourself in half an hour, and swallow it OR suggest you rectify it and make them pay say $30 towards your parts and labour.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  

zerepdivad wrote:
Damn 700 dollars for a crappy incomplete install?? That's crazy what some places let leave their shop.. If your mom payed that much send it back to them so they FINISH their install that you payed them for. I know i'd never let a car leave like that from my bay.

yea 700 ! at the time i had little knowlege and thought it was a pager but in the end was disapointed ahah. See i know installers here would have to agree that they did a half ass job on their part, and 100% sure no1 here would let a car leave their install bay like this; since your here helping individuals that need guidance and telling what is best from an installers point of view.

tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
luckytii7, I realize that ALL shops follow that if you messed with the install, then warrenty is no longer issued. But with years of experiance it kinda makes you want to fix their mistake but at the same time, i worry about the warrenty as if something does go wrong, then i can take it back-if it was the case, that would give me the excuse to get a compustar pager unit ahah.
tedmond 
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Ted, 5 years is probably too long for comebacks in the real world. With your knowledge you could do it yourself in half an hour, and swallow it OR suggest you rectify it and make them pay say $30 towards your parts and labour.

if only they would pay me for parts and labour i would be more than happy to finish off their half ass job ! at the same time its my moms car,so care and making sure its done right would be priority. hey howie, thanks to you and others for tsuggestions. I guess its hard to decide when your an installer, but had the unit intstalled elswhere huh.  

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

By all rights they should fix at least the 2nd starter - the tach is more sketchy, I know a lot of shops that don't hook them up and Scytek's tech support told me "our tachless is excellent, why are you using a tach on that car?"

It boils down to which you find more pleasant - forcing a dealer to fix substandard work or saving time. You've got the skill to fix it yourself in much less time than it'd take to drive to the dealer and back, to say nothing about waiting there.

I had a similar dilemma with an easy repair on my Saturn(still under warranty). Doorlock was slightly bent on the front pass. door...took me 20 minutes to fix compared to a 30 min. roundtrip to the nearest dealer...but then again it's sometimes fun forcing people to give you good customer service installer’s point of view - Page 2 -- posted image.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't want to make too many excuses for the installer.......but 2002 was the first year for that style Camry, and if your mother might have bought it in late 2001, there probably wasn't much wiring information available about the car yet.
Regardless, if whoever installed it is reputable, they should be happy to fix the mistake.
Are you 100% sure they missed the second starter? I'm pretty sure those cars won't even start at all if both aren't hooked up.
Regardless........
I don't see any reason why the company that did the original installation wouldn't be willing to correct any mistakes.
Tach hookup is more of an opinion thing than a rule......but probably if you or your mother asked nicely if they could hook it up, they probably would.
Like the others have said, if you do go ahead and fix it on your own, forget about any warranty from the original installer after that.
I think:
--If you feel your installation skills are not only good enough to fix this problem, but to fix any future problems that may arise, go ahead and take care of it yourself. It would save your mother the trouble of leaving the car at the dealership for the day.
--If you don't feel comfortable with any possible future repairs, as well as the loss of warranty, it might be good to bring the car back there and let them deal with it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

A truely good installer should be able to mimic the installation of another installer.  After all, the goal of any good installer should be to create an "OEM" appearance by blending their installation in with the OEM wiring as best as possible.  For these two connections I wouldn't worry about the original shop voiding your warranty.

:)

Kevin Pierson
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
A good son would go ahead and fix the car correctly for his mom(if he knows how).
tedmond 
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

you both make a good point chris Luongo and wallace ! hey chris luong, im postive they missed the second start wire. The toyotas will start with one starter wire, but will rarely start in the winter sinec its missing its second starter wire. Its same as nissans starting system. 2 starter wires, if main is connected car starts no problem. but as winter comes around it wont even crank properly.

well as Kevin mentioned, i guess im going to do it myself. NO biggie. now i just need to pick up a relay harnesses, 2 relays, and green wire (thats what they used).Need to make it look OEM - thanks for the tip KPierson.  

any1 know what the defrost is on the car? i dont wanna poke around to test each wire to see if its the defrost :) any help is appreciated and thanks again to all that replied.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic