icon

Setting Up Front Imaging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  

I've started the build on my pods and it's time to position my rings. I'm trying for the best SQ possible with this build. I've heard to aim the drivers at the dome lights in the vehicle, but I've got 2 sets, one over my shoulder when I'm in the drivers seat, and then one set directly in front of the windshield in this overhead console. So should I aim them over my shoulder or more towards the front? I want the staging to be as wide as possible and sound like its coming from the front of my hood. I'll also be running two or three sets of tweeters. One in the stock location by the 6.5 component, one in the A pillar, and possibly a 3rd mounted on the top of the door panel firing up. I've got a '97 tahoe, 4 door and there will be a 6.5 component and a 6.5 mid driver in each door. Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks

tubbs

...don't crush the weasel...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Those are HORIFFIC locations if you want your stage to sound like it's on the hood. If TRULY interested in sound quality, ONE SET OF SPEAKERS, placed high in the doors, with woofer/mid/tweeter all placed as close as possible to one another, is best.
Keep all those extra tweeters for paperweights or refrigerator magnets, they have NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in a "sound quality" build.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

hmmmm... I can only get about half way up the panel as far as bringing them up as high as possible. So no tweeters in the A pillars? I figured that would help putting the sound out front. Do either of you have pics of your set up online? I honestly have no clue when it comes to speaker placement, or really anything having to do with "SQ"... (I'm sure both of you all ready guessed that.) I think if I could see what ya'll are saying it would help. Thanks for the replies.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Nope... I got nothin'! Setting Up Front Imaging -- posted image. (that's a link, by the way...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

I've seen that before. What I meant to ask is if you had a picture of the install so I could see how everything is positioned. I see you use a CD8445... I have a CD8443... have you ever played with the e-commander??? I bought one N.O.S. from the local jl/eclipse dealer for $50... havent had a chance to play with it yet.

I think I'm starting to see the errors of my ways buying the stroker, and gobs of components... I could have bought some focals for the front with what I've spent on the tons of MA stuff I have... I hope I get it right someday hahaha....

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

and is it possible for me to achieve the same front stagging that you do when I'm in a tahoe and your in a civic?

haemphyst 
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
In that link (inside the thread) were more links to pictures of my doors, I just don't remember really where they were... Sorry.
The 8443 is a really nice deck, too, I swapped my 8445 for an Alpine w205. I wanted nav... Setting Up Front Imaging -- posted image.
Never did have a chance to play with the e-commander. Thought about buying one, and if I'd tripped across one for 50 dollars, I'd have bought it INSTANTLY! That's a smokin' deal!
eBay is the BEST, baby! Sell that stuff, even if you have to take a loss, and get some good products, and I don't mean Focal. Those things are WAY too bright. Build your own sets, crossovers aren't THAT difficult, and you can build way better for WAY less than you can buy a set of Focals for... I did.
As far as staging? It can be achieved in ANY car, and I do mean ANY. Careful placement, alignment, and crossover points are key to this. No kick panels... DOORS. No A-Pillars... DOORS. No rear decks... DOOOORS!!!
Full active systems are much easier to do it with, (at the expense of funds) but it can be done quite effectively with passive systems, also (at the expense of some other parameters).
How much:
A) can you get for what you've GOT, right now? and
B) more will you want to spend?
We can get you there... No, really!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Haem is the guy to talk to... if you want it done -correctly.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry... I should have read farther into the post... nice build!

I can probably return the stroker to my store... thats about $270... I'd sell the HK598 4Ch for $150 and the HK1000D for another $150. I've got 2 pairs of MA mid drivers I'd let go for $30 a pair and the components for the same.

That would free up roughly $650... I've got an older eclipse 4 ch (3442 I think) puts out about 50 watts at 4 ohms That I could use for the front. I've learned about sensitivity and thats why the MA mid drivers don't respond on that amp... the sensitivity is crap on them....

I'd be willing to put roughly another $500 - $1k into it, couldn't do it all at once though. Not sure how far that will get me in your world but I'd love to try! I was just using the focals as a reference. I honestly don't care about names. I want to put together a system that makes people sit back and say "damn." I'm past making as much noise as possible. I've done that for years. I want clean.

thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it.

Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic