Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

ill try that right now and then ill tell you the results

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have a dual bandpass box with fiberglass in the front middle and subs firing towards eachother but facing on an angle towards the front. Is it true I need to have 1 of the subs out of phase (positive and negitive switched) in order for them to sound right? I ask this because I ripped the subs out of the box and then later on put them back in but forgot how they were set up.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Audioman, from the info you gave and the box I am imagining you have, no I do not think this box needs to have one woofer inverted.  But if you put it back in the vehicle and it is not doing what you remember it was capable of, reverse one of the wires and see.  It will not hurt a thing to try it.  It will be quickly obvious which is the correct way.  

I guess Rodolfo got it fixed.  He hasn't let us know what happened.  I am betting he is riding and not even thinking about us.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well lets see.... My subs face eachother in a sealed chamber. The backside of the subs are vented each with 2 port tubes. When I have them both phased in (wired positive and negatives the same for both) I hear quick, thudded bass something like muffled bass where its like each sub is pounding against eachother hurting the others bass. Would this mean I need to phase 1 sub out? Also, when I phase 1 sub out, does it matter which one I phase out? I ask this because if 1 of my subs was phased out, I dont know which one was. All I know is that I pulled the box out, pulled out both subs and put them in ported boxes. I didnt like the results so I went and put them back in the bandpass. Also, I had all my settings changed on the amp and dont remember where I had them set. I thought I had the amps gain at 1/2 and the bass boost at 1/2 which is 12DB. But now, I have the amp's gain more than 1/2  and the bass boost at about 18DB and for some reason I dont feel its as loud as it was before. Could this be because I have the right sub phased out and the left sub could have been the one phased out before? In other words, is it possible to have more bass if I was to switch which sub is out of phase, or doesnt it matter?
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

If this box is the only subs in the car, it does not matter which one is out of phase.  Now with more info on your enclosure, I am sure that you do not wire those woofers out of phase.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a picture of what the box looks like. I have the one on the right out of phase. In a box like this, would I need one out of phase?

sub problems - Page 2 -- posted image.

i am an idiot 
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
That is just the box I was imagining you had.  No you do not need to put a woofer out of phase in that box.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so they should both be wired in phase. Ill change that tomorrow. Ill listen to it after I change it, but what if they dont sound right afterwards? I mean I have the one out of phase right now and the bass hits good, but not as loud as it was prior to me ripping the box out. Could they not be as loud now because the 1 is out of phase? Also, if I was to have them both in phase and they dont sound right at all, would this ruin my subs if I only have it set that way for a minute?
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
No it will not damage your sub.  Just switch it tomorrow and let us know what happens.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok 1 more thing before I stop for the night. When I have 1 sub wired up and listen to it  it will have its "bass". When I wire up the other one as well, the bass should increase because its now 2 instead of 1 correct? Another thing. If I was to have only the phased out sub wired up, would the bass in that sub be just as loud as if that sub was wired in phase? Understand what I mean?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic