icon

sub problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes when the second sub is connected the bass should increase. If this is the only subs in the vehicle, it will make no difference in sound pressure, whether the sub is electrically in phase or out of phase. The above statement only holds true with one of the two subs connected.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
I didnt get to work on the car yet today because we had snow this morning and I need to wait for my car to dry off. Anyways, I was looking at another port (dont recall which) about phasing. They talked about moving the enclosure around and something about having the ports close to the back of the trunk. I dont know how that would make a difference. Right now I have the bandpass box facing the back of the trunk about 6" from the back. If I was to move the back closer, say to 3" away, would that improve my bass (loudness)? Doing it that way, the bass wouldnt travel as far when it hits off the back of the trunk. Does this mean anything?
rodolfo7171 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
audioman2007 wrote:
Ok 1 more thing before I stop for the night. When I have 1 sub wired up and listen to it it will have its "bass". When I wire up the other one as well, the bass should increase because its now 2 instead of 1 correct? Another thing. If I was to have only the phased out sub wired up, would the bass in that sub be just as loud as if that sub was wired in phase? Understand what I mean?
yea that is the same problem im having.
and no i havent fixed it.
i live in chicago and its kinda snowing so i havent really had a chance to fix it.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so what exactly are your problems? Maybe we can help eachother out.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I finally went out and worked on my system and heres the verdict. First off I had the box too close to the back of the trunk. I remembered that when I measured from the back of the box to the back of my trunk, I had 21" but when i measured it now I only had 19". So I went and pushed everything front. Then I went and changed the right sub so it was in phase but they sounded bad that way. When only 1 sub was powered it sounded good, but as soon as I powered the  other in phase sub, the bass went down. Then I switched the right sub out of phase and tried again. The bass went up alittle when I wired it back up. Then I went and turned my gain back down to half and my bass boost to half also. After it was all said and done, I had the bass boost too low and the gain too high along with the low pass filter alittle too high. So I turned the low pass filter down alittle. I now have the gain at 1/2 maybe alittle more, and have the bass boost at 3/4. It sounds very good now.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
lol bass boost should not even be needed..with your gains set at half and bass boost at 3/4 have fun with a clipped signal.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
no clipped signal whats so ever. I can have the bass boost all the way up and no clipping. I can have the amp maxed out and no clipping either.    Oh and another thing, my last amp I had maxed out. The amp was 5 years old before I sold it to upgrade. My subs are now 7 years old and arent stressed at all.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
no clipped signal whats so ever. I can have the bass boost all the way up and no clipping. I can have the amp maxed out and no clipping either.    .

How do you know?  Have you scoped the amp at full output?

Support the12volt.com
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
I can easily tell that my amp is not clipping. 1. My amp never gets hot. 2. I have the amp wired to 4 ohms. 3. I have the output on my headunit turned to negative 2 DBs. 4. I have very clean and tight bass. 5. I only get bass notes when I need bass notes. I never have bass notes blend into eachother. 6. I never have the bass cut in and out.    Thats how I know my amp is not clipping.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
But I am doing this ALL by ear. I might very well have a clipping signal but cant hear it. What else could I do to check if I do indeed have a clipped signal?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic