the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

so i got a new job, disappointed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  
I feel like I made a lateral move. I really disliked my previous job, particularly my employer and his business tactics or lack there of.
I went from manager/head installer (I was the only installer) to a another managerial position, but primarily on the sales floor. I went from hourly to salary plus commission, I don't know yet how that is going to work out but the last place was some times 6 days a week and I still wasn't pulling 40 hours!
My first day on the job and I get a glimpse of my new employer's attitude/ business ethnics, and I was pretty disappointed. He yells like child and makes a big fuss that solves nothing. Most of the employees have no respect for him and say mean things behind his back.
This is a wake up call for me, I really hate to say it but the 12volt industry is hurting. Not only hurting but ever evolving.
I spoke to a former shop owner and his take was that these shops are no longer run by shop owners, but rather business men. Much has changed, and sadly I think my time in the 12volt industry is coming to an end.
There is of course the issue of the economy, I am not going to go on a political tirade but just mention that every body is hurting from it (obviously).
I wrote some stuff, but it seems that it is lacking a thesis, or main point so take it for it's worth.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
I spoke to a former shop owner and his take was that these shops are no longer run by shop owners, but rather business men. 

What does that mean?

dwarren wrote:
There is of course the issue of the economy, I am not going to go on a political tirade but just mention that every body is hurting from it

There are significant structural issues within the United States economy. 

Generally speaking, industries that deal in frivolities are the first to be impacted by an economic downturn.

dwarren wrote:
I went from manager/head installer (I was the only installer) to a another managerial position, but primarily on the sales floor. I went from hourly to salary plus commission, I don't know yet how that is going to work out but the last place was some times 6 days a week and I still wasn't pulling 40 hours!

I used to toy with the idea of getting a job as a salesguy -I think I'd be really good at it- but it seems like the enviornments I see when I go shopping are - hostile - to say the least.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

when shops are busy evryone gets along, when work slows down a shop can implode if people dont keep perspective on things.  if your making ok money to live and doing the type of work you want, then stay if your not you should move on.

as far as sales, i started on the sales floor and moved to the bay. sales is all about the sale,  that left me wanting a bit more out of my job.

life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

It's really hard working for someone who isn't a good leader.  By your brief comments and initial impression it doesn't appear the new boss is an effective manager.  Most places have a 90 day evaluation period.   Don't make any rush decisions, sit back and feel it out.  It after 30 days or so if things arn't getting any better you'll have 60 days to find something new. 

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

THE 12-VOLT INDUSTRY WILL NEVER DIE!!!!! fact is... as long as americans still buy cars with the sole purpose of personalization and customization... 12-volt will always be around....  now true.. the economy is down... and john q just don't have the money to spend on a bangin system that he used to... but as long as the carmakers continue to grossly overcharge for new cars with weak systems... people are always gonna change em.... then with the new technologies of bluetooth and ipod... the 12-volt industry must do as it always has and evolve.... continue to beat the carmakers in being cuttin edge.....

just remember.... u got that baby boomer that has that brand spanking new lexus, caddilac, or bmw..... and yeah.. changing the radio is a pain.... but if u go out to his garage.. there sits that same ol 77 chevelle he was driving back in high school.... 8-track cassette..... mono speaker and all in the rear deck.... soon as the kids finish up college.. adn the house is paid off.... he's gonna pull that thing outta the garage and pump it....lmao

there can be only one.......
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

i feel your pain though.... i myself have just recently changed jobs... i also was a shop manager for 5 years and am now a salesman.... yeah....my boss is an irritable sob most of the time..... but hell... he has been doin this for 30 years which for me would be too long....lol

somedays i find myself searching for motivation to go to work.... but u know what... the only motivation i have been able to find is the fact that i love cars.. i love audio..... and that's enough for me to pry myself outta bed everyday and go deal with this guy.... he is cool most of the time.... but when he gets goin.... watch out....lol

hey dude.... hang in there..... and just remember... sometimes it's gotta get a whole lot worse before it gets any better............

there can be only one.......
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard this industry was gonna end for the last 25 years!!
everytime it starts to get slow for some they say its ending. and start to blame it on anything and everything they can think of. instead of looking at themself.
I would say if you want to survive, stick to the service end of this industry and don't worry so much about failure. Don't be so arrogant with small jobs, the average customer dosen't know the difference between a small job and a large one, if they come into your shop it means they need something.
Take a good look around your shop and ask yourself, "how would I feel if I walked in the door, what would I like to see and how would I expect to be treated."
There are millions and millions of cars on the road, and to say this industry is gonna end is like saying the car industry is gonna end.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

usabuilt wrote:
There are millions and millions of cars on the road, and to say this industry is gonna end is like saying the car industry is gonna end.

You make an interesting point.  However -  I think you're missing the forrest for the trees by making such an absolutist statement.  Just as cars will not be running on gasoline (hopefully) in 10 or 15 years - the aftermarket industry is not going to be running on stereo parts or iPod integration.  Technology is going to eclipse this business model.

The overarching trend is clear - car makers will continue to integrate vehicular electronics more and more extensively as processing power, displays, and circuitry continue to become (in real terms) cheaper and cheaper.  Note how quickly car makers jumped on the iPod bandwagon . . .

From an OEM standpoint, sourcing high quality drivers, a high-power OEM amplifier and CD/DVD player that can compete with most aftermarket systems really is not cost-prohibitive - particularly as extras like this become the tipping point for actually getting the car off the dealers' lot in the first place.  The added cost to the vehicles production/sales/end purchaser cost would be a fraction of an aftermarket install for comparable quality. 

Part of me hates to admit it, but some factory sound systems have really gotten *incredible* over the past few years.  This trend is going to continue to the point where upgrading and pursuing aftermarket options for the majority of vehicles built is going to become pointless - well beyond the point of dimishing returns. 

While I don't argue that the trend is toward extinction by anymeans, irrespective of the US' temporary economic situation, the aftermarket industry here is in for significant constriction.

I heard this stock '05 Infinity the other day that could *easily* compete with my 1.2kw JL Audio system (well - above 100hz anyway).

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate all the comments, they all have put new perspectives on my situation. Thank you.

I still continue to feel that my particular situation is some what sparse, but there are positives to it, such as the fact that I am working with a higher end clientel, in general. We do much business with the local MB and Audi/VW dealers.

No, I don't think the industry is ending, but rather evolving and ever changing. I have faith in the after market companies, and that they will continue to produce great products that will integrate with oem systems, creating business for us.

I genuinely think my boss may be bi-polar or manic depressive, no joke. But obviously in his "good" moments things run very smooth and he is quite knowledgable, but he lacks one thing that my last employer did too, and that's hands on shop experience, (i.e business men, not shop onwers, sedate).

Sedate, as far as that first comment I made about the shop owners, I took as this, shops no longer have the small mom and pop mentality any longer per say, but rather a more aggressive attitude (which is understandable). I think the comment was aimed towards installers, as it used to be that installers would stay with a shop for many many years, but now installers are lured by the next big shop and better pay.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
A couple of points, we've recently done some high end work on older cars, laugh but look, lots of labour = profit, no warning lights, Iso radio slot so no nasty fascias or CAN interfaces. There are loads of mid 90s Camrys, Maxis, BMW and M/Benz out there! I'm looking at companies marketing tracking solutions to sub for them, the mom and pop shop is my age group (61) and dieing out. The biggest DEI dealer in the UK works from an industrial unit, no shop, massive advertising and all the instalers are subbies.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic