icon

so i got a new job, disappointed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
The two biggest reasons in my opinion for the slow down in this industry is most people lease cars nowadays, and keeping a car for 2 years does not make people want to spend any money on upgrades, also the dealer threats on voiding warranty are another thorn.
So basically these two things and the fact that most people have never heard a decent sound system have kept us out of the new car market, unless you are and expeditor. yuk
I just wonder who would actually go out and buy a new Ford because it has voice recognition, I mean 20 grand or $399.00 a month for voice recognition is a hefty chunk of change. :)
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

And what good is the voice recognition on a Friday night out when you have to tell your drunk passengers to be quiet so you can use it? 

How much use is the factory installed remote start that has no more range than the factory keyless systems do, won't work from a high-rise apartment, most workplaces, a mall, etc., and won't work if the check engine light is on due to a downstream O2 sensor that the customer, living in a non-emissions testing area, doesn't give a damn about replacing?

Also...anyone here, a challenge for you. Name one factory system ever that can do idiotically loud SPL levels.  I've yet to ever hear one.

A Mark Levinson or Bose system is great for the driver who wants to hear every nuance of an Eric Johnson guitar solo or each individual instrument in a Handel concerto - however it's not going to be enough for the guy who's going to brag to his friends about how much his mirror shakes when the bass hits.  There are a ton of customers like that and none of them will ever be satisfied with a factory system.

There's business out there...you just have to know where to look for it.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I was referring more to sq than sbl levels, adding a really high end amplifier, mids, tweeters and subwoofer will make ANY factory system pale in comparison.
There was a saying we would say when someone would brag about the new "bose system" they had, went something like this.."no highs no lows, must be bose"so i got a new job, disappointed - Page 2 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Car manufacturers are always making it more difficult for aftermarket parts to fit.  I don't think they do it intentionally, but it happens.  Many higher end new cars (and some lower end) have fully integrated head units that can't easily be replaced.  Others have factory amplified systems that are costly to integrate with.  Then, there are things like the newer Infiniti Bose system - have you guys seen these things?  So much for the 'no highs, no lows must be Bose" saying!

so i got a new job, disappointed - Page 2 -- posted image.

I believe that is an OEM 10" speaker IN THE DOOR.  There is also a dedicated tweeter (may be a midrange, didn't look at it too close).  I have to admit, for a factory system this one sounded pretty good.  I can't imagine there would be many people willing to pay what it would cost to change this system.

While I had the door panel off I removed the speaker only to find it has no tradional magnet or basket.  There is NO Depth at all to mounting location.  The speaker looks like a dinner plate when you take it out!

It's already be said in this thread, but the future of people in this industry is going to be shops that do it all.  If you only do radios and alarms you probably won't last.  If you branch out to do mobile video, GPS, truck accessories, car accessories, heck maybe even wheels and tires you stand a much better chance of long term survival.  Where I'm at (Dayton, Ohio) the big box stores have killed the small shops.  Every so often a new ma and pa shop opens and lasts 2-3 years before going out of business.

Kevin Pierson
usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm. I never saw a speaker without a magnet, and I never hard my dinner plates reproduce music either.
I am no expert in speaker design, buy from what I have seen, the more speaker travel the better it performs and the better the magnet the more accurate the sound also.
The problem with these 'crappy" speakers is that they are made to fit the car instead of being made to produce the best possible sound, these car manufacturers buy millions and millions of speakers, and the "bean counters" try and shave off a buck here and there whereever they can.
Every system can be upgraded at the speaker level, by adding amps and processing and finally the best possible speakers, to say that people are happy with the sound of these "crappy systems" is just saying they have never compared it to whats possible.
KPierson 
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

It does have a magnet, just not a traditional magnet.

Like I said, for an OEM system it sounds great.  The head unit has a built in hard drive to rip music and the car has GPS from the factory.  As technology increases and things become cheaper you'll see systems like this in Honda Civics before much longer. 

Kevin Pierson
usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Comon Kevin who's side are you on anyway, your an aftermarket installer, if you wanna be succesfull you MUST look at whats wrong with OEM not whats good with OEM.so i got a new job, disappointed - Page 2 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Here is some more info about that OEM system:

The System

Studio on Wheels provides exceptional audio quality by combining a 3-way front door speaker system that uses 10-inch woofers with an audiophile quality head unit incorporating a 24-bit Burr Brown® digital audio converter.
To assure outstanding dynamic range with low distortion, the internal pre-amp incorporates Burr Brown® ultra low noise op-amps and other instrument grade components.
Studio on Wheels features 10 high-performance Bose neodymium speakers powered by a Bose eight channel amplifier which incorporates the company’s proprietary signal processing technology, specifically tuned for the G35 to deliver full lifelike sounds that fill every inch of the G’s interior.
The system delivers its high-range sound from two 1-inch neodymium tweeters located in each side mirror patch. Mid/high-range sound comes from three 3-inch neodymium speakers, one in each front door and one in the instrument panel. Low end sound is distributed throughout the cabin, with a 10-inch woofer in each front door plus a third on the rear deck powered by a dedicated two-state-modulation switching amplifier. The 6.5-inch, full-range neodymium speaker in each rear door rounds out a cohesive, balanced sound that seems to extend beyond the confines of the cabin.

For OEM, I think that is a pretty impressive setup.

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't installed audio equipement for years.  I consider myself unbiased before anything else. 

I guess I was just really impressed with this car.

Kevin Pierson
usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yadda, yadda, yadda, marketing CRAP, you dont need 10 speakers for outstanding sound, you just need 5 outstanding speakers and 1 or 2 outstanding amplifiers.. I could give you some hints, but bose is not one of them by a long shot.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic