icon

how can these amps even be advertised

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

The amp will do, at most, 650watts RMS into a 4ohm bridged load.

70 x 14.4 = 1008watts (@ 100% effeciency)

@ 65% effeciency (still being VERY generous); 1008 x .65 = 655.2watts RMS x 1 @ 4ohms.

Lanzar sucks! I once, before I knew better, owned a LanzarVibe241 ("1000watts"). It only put out 250watts.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

techman93 wrote:
Same idea... the fact they are owned by the same company is just a formality

by that logic - I guess we can say Saturn owns Hummer, or Volvo owns Lincoln.

jmelton86 wrote:

The amp will do, at most, 650watts RMS into a 4ohm bridged load.

70 x 14.4 = 1008watts (@ 100% effeciency)

@ 65% effeciency (still being VERY generous); 1008 x .65 = 655.2watts RMS x 1 @ 4ohms.

Lanzar sucks! I once, before I knew better, owned a LanzarVibe241 ("1000watts"). It only put out 250watts.

1) you should take a few minutes to look at how fuses work.

2) I've owned several vibes.  230, 430, 1200D.  All were respectable amps.  The 430 was independently tested at 296x2.

3) The vibe 268 (w/2x30A) was independently tested at 923w bridged.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
n2audio wrote:
 The 430 was independently tested at 296x2.

What tests under what conditions and done by whom?  Link?

Support the12volt.com
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
n2audio wrote:

:rolleyes:

Unless you could talk to the technician who did the tests to verify the process and results were accurate would anything really qualify as proof?

Believe it or don't.  I do recall the supporting info on the 268 test was not exactly thorough, but the 430 test was.

My point was only that a fuse takes time to heat up and open, especially when music is the source.  Reducing the power capabilities of an amp to the size of the fuses and some basic math can get you, at best, in the ballpark.

Besides, on a test bench it's not uncommon to remove the fuses and replace them with bus bars to conduct the full power test.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
My point is that unless "tests" are published in such a way that they can be reviewed and verified, they do not exist.  If you're going to make claims, post your proof.
Support the12volt.com
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

and again - what really constitutes proof when it comes to a power test?

Paper with a border, a voltage, % THD and someone's signature?

Take my "claims" for what they're worth.  If that's nothing to you, that's fine.  The 430 claim I firmly believe to be accurate, the 268, I admit, seems far fetched, but the info I had at the time seemed legit.

Besides, you don't have to take these power tests as fact for my arguement to stand.

You probably know better than I do that fuses often don't survive max power tests.  That's all that needs to be understood for my point to stand that fuse size on an amp is not enough info to calcuate it's power capability.

DYohn 
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Have you ever conducted power tests?  I have, hundreds of them, and I find your argument spurious.  Besides, a "peak" power test is and has always been completely meaningless.  What does it take for a test to be meaningful?  The test must be conducted using accepted standard processes (such as CEA or DIN or EIA) or at least the methods used must be described and utilize standard industry loads, test frequencies, voltages, etc.  And your statement that the high current some fuses might allow to flow for a few fractions of a second before they blow somehow justifies an inflated power rating is completely bogus and is one of the things wrong with the car audio industry.  That kind of "rating" is meaningless to real world applications and advertising those kinds of "performance capabilities" is part of what keeps the "more is better" myth alive.
Support the12volt.com
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Have you ever conducted power tests? 

no, I don't care to.  I typically buy quality amps with accurate specs. 

When I buy cheap ones I'm well aware that what's printed on the box is meaningless.

DYohn wrote:
I have, hundreds of them, and I find your argument spurious.

That fuse size can't be used to accurately determine the power of an amp??

Seriously? 

Then I think you have the problem, not me.

I only got involved in this thread because of the "Lanzar is junk" comment.

And I'm surprised you're trying to pick me apart vs the person making an ignorant blanket statement such as that.

DYohn wrote:
Besides, a "peak" power test is and has always been completely meaningless.

Who said it wasn't?

DYohn wrote:
And your statement that the high current some fuses might allow to flow for a few fractions of a second before they blow somehow justifies an inflated power rating is completely bogus and is one of the things wrong with the car audio industry. 

didn't say that, didn't imply that, and I don't agree with the practice. 

Again, my point - it is reasonable to expect an amp with a pair of 35A fuses to perform as a 900w rms amp should perform when playing music.

Regarding inflated ratings -- What I said is it's there, and anyone of a better level of comprehension than the average newbie is aware of it.  I believe I said something along the lines of - budget amps like to market a "MAX POWER" number that is roughly double the rms power.  That is one thing, and nobody likes it.  But Lanzar going with 4000w on one of their 900w amps is completely ridiculous, and they deserve the reputation they're earning (Pyramid's equal) for that sort of practice.

DYohn wrote:
That kind of "rating" is meaningless to real world applications and advertising those kinds of "performance capabilities" is part of what keeps the "more is better" myth alive.

No arguement there

DYohn 
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Good, apparently we agree.  But I am still interested in this:

DYohn wrote:
n2audio wrote:

If these numbers are simply something you read elsewhere, then point me to it as I'd like to know how they were obtained.

Support the12volt.com
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

the vibe 430 was from sounddomains forum 3-4 (??)  years ago.  I only recall that I was familiar with the poster and knew they were well informed.  I don't remember if they measured it themselves or had it done professionally, but I know I took it as fact at the time and still do.

The 268 was from caraudio.com.  IIRC the owner/poster had taken it to a local electronics shop that had the means to test it.  As I've said - I'm not sure of the specifics on that one.  I recall thinking the poster wasn't very technically savvy, but that they were surprised by the results as well and the technician was certain about the measurement. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic