the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how can these amps even be advertised

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so like I was trying to point out earlier, those numbers are meaningless.  I could post on this well-respected forum that I once tested a 12 watt head unit and got 80 watts out of it.  But that means nothing as it was a one-time anomaly and the amplifier chips fried during the test.  how can these amps even be advertised - Page 3 -- posted image.  All I'm saying is don't toss around things you might have read someplace, especially on forums, as "facts" unless they can be backed up.

And, back to the original controversy, in my experience Lanzar went from being flea-market crap when it first came out to being surprisingly good performers and a great value for the money during the 90's then back to being flea-market crap recently as part of Pyle.

Support the12volt.com
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

I believe the 430 doing ~600 is factual, and even logical.

The 268 doing 900+ may seem awfully optimistic, but it is at least conceivable.  80w out of a 12w head unit is not.

That's all beside the point.  So you think I'm full of it...ok.

I've never heard/read Lanzar was weak early on.  I know from the late 80's to the early 90's they won multiple autosound awards and those amps still bring nice coin on Ebay, as do the later mid 90's-early 00's.  My brother built a VERY nice SQ comp worthy set up using 4 Lanzar Opti's and all Lanzar speakers in the early 90's.  They were impressive amps to say the least.  I've seen them mentioned repeatedly as some of the better amps that were ever built.  In the same class as SS, HF, Zapco, PPI of the day.

They remained high quality for a few years after the Sound Around buyout until they parted ways with Zed.  The Opti's are still widely regarded as quality amps, but not what they were 10-15 yrs ago.  It's all the other over-rated entry/budget stuff they're selling under the Lanzar brand (not sure where Pyle comes in) that will eventually turn Lanzar into another Sound Around bottom-feeder in spite of the Optidrive line.

I own a couple Lanzar's from the end of the Zed Audio era (02-03).  I can't see myself ever changing amps.

usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
A little history on Zed and Steven Mantz[URL=http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/steven_mantz_history.htm]
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
opps link did not come uphow can these amps even be advertised - Page 3 -- posted image.
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Again, that's all well and good but completely beside the point.  If you or anyone else posts "proof" about something then I expect to see more than their word for it..  Anyone can post anything on an Internet forum but that does not make it true.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic