icon

can't program remotes on ultra start 1270

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeff d 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed an UltraStart 1270 in my '94 Ranger and the install went fine. It tach learned and seems to be ready to go but I can't get the remotes programmed according to the instructions.
Here's what it says to do:
STEP 1 - Within 3 seconds turn the ignition key to the “ON”
position three times leaving “ON” the third time.
STEP 2 - Press and hold the Program Button. The park
lights will turn “ON” and the horn (optional) will
honk once. Continue to hold the Program
Button, the park lights will turn “OFF” and the
horn (optional) will honk 5 times quickly.
I've probably tried this 100 times now with no success. I've varied the duration of both the key on and off positions but the parking lights never come on. I can however do a factory reset which is a similar process and it lights up the parking lights as it should.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
jeff d 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
I've gone through the harnesses over and over and every wire tests exactly like the install manual says it should.
I emailed UltraStart with all of the details but I'm not sure if they'll help me since I bought it off ebay and I'm not a professional installer.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Jeff
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Are you getting it to do step 2?  How far are you getting into the programming before it looks as if it isn't doing anything?  Are the remotes not doing anything at all?
jeff d 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I just got back in from working on it and I've resolved the previous issue but am encountering another. My hood pin wire was grounding out. I knew this when I tested it but I mistakenly thought it was supposed to be grounded when the hood was closed.
So, it actually remote starts now!
The problem that I have now is the unlock pulse doesn't seem to be working at all. I'm using an Audiovox relay module to interface with the locks which works fine if I take the unlock lead from the module and touch it to ground. The UltraStart will lock the doors but not unlock them. If I flip the connector around it will unlock but not lock.
I put my digital ohm meter between ground and the unlock pin and I get like 1 million ohms all of the time, even when pressing the unlock button. The lock pin shows the same 1 million ohms normally but when I press the lock button it briefly goes to 2-3 ohms as it pulses to ground.
There are no settings to disable the unlock pulse, only to change the duration. I tried changing it from the default of 3/4 sec to 3 sec but got the same results.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Jeff
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the unlock output may be dead. You could use the trunk release output to trigger the unlock relay. Unfortunately you will have to hold unlock for about 3 seconds to unlock the doors.
jeff d 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I found an other option. There's a ground output on disarm that I hooked up to the unlock wire on the module. The downside of that is when I remote start it unlocks the doors. After that I found a menu option that sends a lock pulse after starting. So, when I hit unlock it unlocks just like it normally would. When I hit remote start it unlocks, starts and then re-locks.
I don't live in or frequent any high crime areas so I don't think this 3-5 second interval of having the doors unlocked while it starts will be an issue.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic