the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1 ohm amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well... Look at the OTHER products under the Directed umbrella...
Viper, Python, Clifford (a mere SHADOW of what it used to be) Avital? Puh-LEEZE.
Polk, DT and a/d/s... Jokes compared to their former selves, and none of them were ever REALLY good... the a/d/s PowerPlates used to be OK, but in the same era, compared to Nakamichi, Linear Power, the OLD SCHOOL Alpine stuff... Overpriced THEN, to be sure. Jolk Audio? I've met Dr. Polk, and he's as big a snake oil purveyor as Dr. Bose EVER was/is. While his company never dumped 80% of their annual operating costs into advertising as is the method for Bose, and they DO actually spend SOME money on R&D, for the money again, there are MANY manufacturers that can WASTE that gear, for less. YOU can build a better HT system for HALF the money, literally.
What is Precision now? Almost relegated to the second tier at Circuit City/Best Buy. One actually BUILT in the US, I can't even be sure that they are even still DESIGNED here. ( :::::EDIT::::: I did just find that the Directed products are, in fact, DESIGNED in the US, but since they SPECIFIY that portion, my expectation is that they are manufactured overseas) Another manufacturer hawking MAX numbers - meaningless. Orion is doing the same thing. From the Cobalt amps forward, Orion has slipped. And slipped bad.
Truly SAD what Directed has done to once great marques. Everything under the Directed umbrella is now farmed out to overseas manufacturers. Nothing that they sell or oversee CAN be taken as gospel, anymore. Respectable manufacturers still advertise RMS power ratings... Directed won't. Gotta make that dollar!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

So far you have listed nothing but a bunch of company hoopla. So your saying the big reason for directed being crappy is because it is foreign made!!?? lol. Not to sound unamerican but almost all the things we purchase here are made overseas! From cars to shoes, it's all foreign man. I see nothing wrong with a company trying to make money either, so long as they still provide a decent product. I also have NEVER seen anything wrong mechanically, thermally, or physically wrong with Orion, PPI, Viper, or Polk Audio. In fact, Polk has a hot set of components out right now - SR6500. So far nobody has been able to tell me factual information as to why Directed is bad. There are many companies that are overseas that are good. So if you are gonna fault Directed for being overseas, then I suppose you don't like JL Audio, Morel, Focal, or MB Quart (german) either?

As far as that horrific story from Sedate, you DEFINITELY got jewed! That is not Orion's quality at all!!! Not sure what you bought but Sounddomain screwed you bad. I have never had an Orion amp do anything close to what you mentioned! They also must have sent you a fake instruction manual because I am looking at one right now! (last years model, the all chrome ones) There is NO mention of max wattage anywhere. Not under the specification section and not under the CEA specifications either! It's all rms ratings man! Make sure your buying from an authorized Orion dealer so you don't get gyped like you did anymore. If you want some quality, I'll send you some Orion amps and you can feel free to beat the hell out of them and I guarantee you they will out live you or I.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
neontuner9 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
i deff agree orion products were deff fire back in the old days but since direct recently bought them some no name company just dont have money like that to buy out other big name companys as far as foreign you def are correct if it wasnt for crazy smart chinese n japs we wouldnt have half the technology that we have now im not discrimminatin against any brand foreign or american made im just budget ballin n tryin bump i know its hard in car audio but there are some but few things you can keep for cheap that will last BUT IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME THE MODEL OF THE ORION AMP THAT DOES 1 OHM STABLE 600W RMS N ANYWHERE 1K-12K MAX would be very appericated thanks
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

neontuner9 wrote:
AMP THAT DOES 1 OHM STABLE 600W RMS

I still would like to know why it has to be 1ohm... You have a 2ohm DVC driver, you could wire it for 4ohms and it will still  handle 600w rms. I don't know where you got the idea that lower ohms equals more power out of a driver. The Profile AP1200 will do exactly what you want and it's under $200.

neontuner9 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

so ur tellin me at 44 ohms its gonna hit just as hard as 1 ohm get off this website dude

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

yes it will...if the amp puts out 600 watts at 44ohms

a watt is a watt.  It is probably a cheaper solution to find a 2 channel amp that does 600 watts at 4 ohms.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
neontuner9 wrote:
so ur tellin me at 44 ohms its gonna hit just as hard as 1 ohm get off this website dude
POWER is the deciding factor... NOT IMPEDANCE! I'm running my Alpine PDX1.1000 at 4 ohms to a pair of 10's in isobarik (for the surface area of only ONE 10), and you'd never know, AND you'd never believe it was only one 10 inch woofer. I PROMISE you that.
But maybe with your attitude it should be YOU getting off this website. He was trying to help you, with accurate information, and you didn't want to hear it.
Impedance means NOTHING. Look for a less expensive amp, or if BENT on spending JUST that amount of money, find an amp that does that much at 4 ohms from a RESPECTABLE manufacturer, and be happier in the long run.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
neontuner9 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Impedance means NOTHING????????

are you serious or jokin take a 2 ohm sub and 1/2 or 1 ohm amp with respectiful amp u let me know what hits harder got money on the lower ohm one all day long when this amp comes in i will video it hook up at 1 ohm n then im take it to my amp at 4 ohm and i put the db reader in just to prove to you guys lower impendance sub will rock the socks off a higer one i understand he was tryin help but gave up on askin bout 4 ohm subs i want it at 1 ohm

haemphyst 
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever...
I am here to tell you that 600 watts is 600 watts whether it is through a dead-freakin'-SHORT, or Teflon oil. THE LOAD IS IMMATERIAL IF THE POWER IS SPECIFIED. If you take the amp you are going to buy, and connect it to a one ohm load, you will get X dB of output. I agree. Now, if you take that SAME AMP, and connect it to a 4 ohm load, you will get X dB -6 output... 'CAUSE IT'S ONLY 150 WATTS IN THAT CONFIGURATION. It's not the same as what we are trying to explain to you.
We were comparing an amplifer rated at 600 watts into 1 ohm VERSUS another, DIFFERENT amplifer rated 600 watts into 4 ohms.
Do what you want, but you're going to HAVE to learn some day that you DON'T know everything, and that if an amp is rated for 600 watts into 1 ohm, it will DO THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF WORK when connected to that 1 ohm load, as another amplifier rated 600 watts into 4 ohms, and connected to a 4 ohm load. Power is power. Learn this, and you'll decide that you want to learn even more!
Granted, a 4 ohm load requires more VOLTAGE to make that 600 watts, but the work performed is still 600 watts. End of story. If you have an amplifer, rated at 4 ohms and 600 watts, in THEORY you will have more power (4 times the power) into a 1 ohm load. THIS is why you think you know what you are talking about... But I think this is where your confusion lies. At 4 ohms, the work performed is 600 watts, but at 1 ohm, the work perfomed is 2400 watts... THEY'RE NOT THE SAME THING, DUDE! Do you see where you're confusing the facts?
600 watts at 4 ohms (a voltage amplifier) is a less expensive amplifer than 600 watts at 1 ohm (a current amplifier)... This is all we were trying to tell you.
But, since you are BENT on buying an amp rated at 600 watts at 1 ohm, and you seem to think that the Orion is a good buy, then it is the HCCA-D1200, and it's a piece of crap. Good luck with it.
Learn Ohm's law, and then come back and argue...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
neontuner9, I have built subwoofer systems at 32 ohms that "hit" just as hard as any other.  Impedance does not matter, it is system design that matters.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic