icon

scytek 5000 alarm/remote start, 99 eclipse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nayr747 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone also tell me if I have a neutral safety wire. One of the wiring charts I have lists the wire, but I haven't been able to find it. Is this wire only for automatics?
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  

I have a manual version of the Scytek 5000RS-2W and am considering swaping it into my manual car.

The only probelm is: The car needs to be turbo timed (continue running for a minute or two after stopped) as it has a turbocharger. But the method used by manual-safe alarms is to have the car shut off when you close the door, not allowing the car to be turbo timed.

So my question is: Is there a way using an aftermarket turbo timer that the car can stay running? I.e. Can the immediate shutdown be bypassed for a minute or so by the turbo timer? The safety function would remain the same as far as I can tell so I don't see why they wouldn't have this option built into the unit as the 5000RS-2W and other alarms already have a turbo timer fuction (which cannot be used with the remote start function on manual versions).

Any help would be appreciated!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
Set your remote start run time for a "short" run. Before  getting out set the car for remote start but before you open the door hit the start button... the car "should" stay running for the pre programmed run time!
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
Set your remote start run time for a "short" run. Before getting out set the car for remote start but before you open the door hit the start button... the car "should" stay running for the pre programmed run time!
Alright, I'll give this a try. Thanks!
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
Can anyone tell me how many milliamps an alarm should typically draw when not armed and the car off, and how many milliamps the alarm's antenna should be drawing? Does 25 mA for the whole alarm and about 10 mA for the antenna alone seem normal? Total draw is around 57mA. Alarm is a 2-way paging, remote start, etc. unit. From the other posts I've read total draw should be ideally under 30mA. Is that right?
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
Should my anti-grind relay be wired like this? The diagram in the alarm's manual is slightly different, the only difference being (I think) the 85 pole is going to the ignition wire on the alarm instead of being tied into the starter wire.
scytek 5000 alarm/remote start, 99 eclipse - Page 3 -- posted image.
Or should it be wired like this?
I have it wired like this. My diode is also facing the opposite direction as the diagram above. Is that how it should be?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
The diode is backwards in your picture.  The band of the diode has to be on the positive wire.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I don't like to see the current draw above 50mA.  Ideally, from the factory a car, at idle, will draw less then 35mA so that gives you about a 15mA buffer for an alarm system.
Kevin Pierson
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, thanks for the help. Well can anyone tell me if 10mA for the alarm's antenna alone seems high? Without that draw, the alarm would be pulling 15mA just like you said it should KPierson. Which would put the total draw at under 50mA. So does that seem like a short on the antenna wiring or just a badly designed antenna?
Also, does this draw (57mA) sound like something that would drain a battery pretty quickly? I have only tested the draw with the alarm unarmed and car off. So I don't know what it is drawing if it is armed or the r/s has been activated. Can I test this the same way with my DMM?
nayr747 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
Set your remote start run time for a "short" run. Before getting out set the car for remote start but before you open the door hit the start button... the car "should" stay running for the pre programmed run time!
From the manual, it looks like it only has two r/s run times: 15 min and 25 min. Would the car turbo time for this long, or is there something I'm missing? The only other thing I can think of is that the alarm has a port for connecting to a computer to modify its settings, but I don't know what options are available.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic