icon

amp turn on ineffective

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lamigra05 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

My friend and I are trying to hook up his system (power acoustic amp with a 10" kicker, square version). we are using an output converter so we hooked the remote to the radio fuse and the power wire is hooked up to the +battery. only thing is, wen we touch the ground wire onto the chassis we get ALOT of spark and the wire gets HOT, the amp turns on n off, and the sub is making some sort of heartbeat motion like its trying to fight for its life. we already tested the amp at the store and it worked just 2 days ago. and the sub works too. if anyone knows whats wrong it would be very beneficial to us. thank you for your time.

wat it do?
dustysnakes 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
have you checked to see exactly how much voltage your getting at the remote lead sounds like thats your issue i recently had that problem on a cavalier it was sending almost exactly 12vdc to it but that wasnt quite enough to keep the amp on i actually had to run a relay triggered off the ignition wire in the key switch and off the batt lead.  also if the wires getting hot that could be an indication of either that problem or two small guage of wire.
keep it greasy
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

How big is the ground wire to the amp?

How big is the power wire to the amp?

How big is the fuse installed in the amp power wire at the battery?

Kevin Pierson
lamigra05 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmm. i think the wires are 8guages. he got em at walmart. they were a cheap brand. and the fuse we boght seperately and i think its a 100A fuse.
wat it do?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

I would put a 30A fuse in it and hook everything up correctly (ie securely ground the ground).

Then, try it again.

It's possible that when you are just touching the ground to ground that you arn't getting a good enough ground connection.  Make sure you scrape away the paint wherever you are grounding so you will get the best possible connection.

Kevin Pierson
lamigra05 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
what if i keep the fuse. but get bigger wires? will that work too? and do you know what the other guy was talking about? my remote lead is pushing out enough power?
wat it do?
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I would put a 30A fuse in it and hook everything up correctly (ie securely ground the ground).

Then, try it again.

It's possible that when you are just touching the ground to ground that you arn't getting a good enough ground connection.  Make sure you scrape away the paint wherever you are grounding so you will get the best possible connection.

Also ive found it a good practice to hook up the ground first. power second without the fuse. than the fuse last.

for testing purpose you can jump a wire from the batt to rem on the amp after all the connections are made(you can fuse that wire if it makes you feel better) if the amp is fine than the rem will only draw what it needs which is not much

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
dustysnakes 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
yeah lucky gives a good test point to what im talking about man jump it across from vdc + to remote after youve checked ground and power connections if it comes on then but not with remote wire then your not getting enough voltage. if thats the case ill be back on tomorow if you still need help or im sure some of these other guys will offer plenty of assistance
keep it greasy
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
You have shorted output transistors in your amplifier.  Do not hook it back up.  Get it repaired.  If the wire is getting hot, the shorted outputs are taxxing the power supply of the amp.  If you have a  meter and a little basic instruction following skills I can help you get it working.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
It can also be a bad RCA cable on the input stage causing the issue. Test connections and don't hook up RCA's and see if that pulse goes away. Then have the amp bench tested and repaired as needed. Replace rca's with better ones or change the line out converter if that is causing issue.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic