the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how would you set up these subs and amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

capamonkeyboy wrote:
I would go with 1-ohm, having more amplifier power means having more control over the speakers. That is a lot more important than the worry of blowing out the speakers.

This is true, BUT we're talking about the same amp. The OP's amp will have better control over the speakers loaded @ 4ohms instead of 1ohm. More power, yes. More damping, no.

I would wire it to 4ohms. Less stress on the amp, subs, and your vehicle.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Quite honestly, I would try the wiring both ways and choose what I like the best.  I can't tell you which way I'd choose from where I sit.  Wire each sub directly to terminals on the box so that you can change wiring schemes without removing the drivers.

All in all, the subs are only PART of the sound system, and everything has to be in harmony with everything else.  Would I want 45 Hz sub tones drowning out the percussion from the mids?  No, I wouldn't.  I would listen for a smooth transition through the entire freq range.

Daily listening isn't an SPL competition.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
auzz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
A little more info:
I have upgraded from the factory battery - Motomaster Eliminator (seems like a decent battery)
I replaced my alternator since I bought it - Still not sure of the amps it puts out, I can't see any thing on it so I might have to remove my intake to get a better look tomorrow. (There is no way to test it with a DMM is there?)
I have a 1 farad cap - I have read there is mixed opinions on the value caps.
I think I will do what Stevdart recommended and add a second terminal to my box, that way I can switch them around a few times to test them both out and hear the difference for myself.
This post has been very helpful for me, it has made me think of a few different things I wouldn't have otherwise.
Thanks again guys!! I will be sure to make a donation tomorrow, this site kicks ***!!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

auzz wrote:
I have a 1 farad cap - I have read there is mixed opinions on the value caps.

I think caps can be useful in marginal situations - I've had caps help a bit with mild light dimmage - they don't make any sort of audible difference, via the amplifier, though.

Most people here will tell you caps are pretty worthless - and in a vehicle with a properly fortified electrical system - this would be the case.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

auzz wrote:
I think I will do what Stevdart recommended and add a second terminal to my box, that way I can switch them around a few times to test them both out and hear the difference for myself.

Post back with which one you like better - I'm curious.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
 I would agree try it @4ohms and @1ohm.  i installed 2 15" RFp1  8 ohms. at first. i wired them 8 ohms stereo. thinking that if i ran my punch 6002. @4ohms bridged. the 746 RMS on the certificate would blow those subs. i was very disappointed with it wired @8ohms stereo.  i wired it @4ohms bridged . carefully set the gain. it sounds much louder and cleaner to my suprise.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Blowntweeters wrote:
 I would agree try it @4ohms and @1ohm.  i installed 2 15" RFp1  8 ohms. at first. i wired them 8 ohms stereo. thinking that if i ran my punch 6002. @4ohms bridged. the 746 RMS on the certificate would blow those subs. i was very disappointed with it wired @8ohms stereo.  i wired it @4ohms bridged . carefully set the gain. it sounds much louder and cleaner to my suprise.

I would hope so, considering you tripled the power! Triple the power equals +9dB's! That's almost twice as loud!

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

Blowntweeters wrote:

I would hope so, considering you tripled the power! Triple the power equals +9dB's! That's almost twice as loud!

only the cleaner sound was surprising.
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I wonder if you were clipping the amp @ 8ohm stereo...
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
i think it sounded cleaner .because of all the headroom with that much power for those subs.just a guess it sounds great now.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic