99 explorer pats bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Komobu 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hi;
Started to install a Remote Starter in a 99 Explorer with PATS. I was trying to locate the factoy disarm wire but couldnt. Now the car wont start at all. I have 65psi of fuel and I have spark. I think the PATS anti theft system is stuck. I have checked all the fuses and they are all good. Is there a way to bypass the PATS? Where is the module located at and can I just remove it?
Thanks for any advice.
Pat
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
you cant remove the pats system. You can bypass it, with a resistor but what is your real problem. does it crank? or crank but does not start. the factory disarm should have nothing to do with starting.
Komobu 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help. It cranks but does not start. I believe it uses a transponder. There is a black plastic ring with a module that fits over the key cylinder. It has 4 wires that hooks up to a white connector under the steering column.
Before I ran into problems I was checking out this connector. With no key in the ignition, all four wires showed ground. When key inserted and in run position, one wire was ground and other three where hot. I attempted to jump the three wires with hot and see if the vehicle would then start without the key in the ignition. it would not. Then i put everything back together and it still would not start. I think I may have fried it so I will try to replace it and see what happens.
Any idea what type of bypass unit I will need for this vehicle?
If I have to replace the PATS module, any idea where it is located?
Thanks for any help
Pat
Komobu 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Replaced the transponder on the Ignition cylinder. Still wont start. Guess I will have to look for the module and see if that is what is causing me the problem.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
One of them should of showed ground because it is ground.  Another one should show ignition which probably means that a fuse went out which probably cause it not to turn on the car.  The remaining two wires are the TX and RX and as far as I know you should NEVER jump these wires.  Chances were that the fuse was bad and thats why it didt turn on but now that you jumped the TX and RX im pretty sure you fried the transponder system.  You may need to replace the module and get the dealer to program new keys for system with their diagnostic tools.
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I shorted one of these wires once and it was just a fuse. not sure which one but an easy enough recheck. you need a bypass or a spare key and a relay to bypass the transponder when you get it all back together working
The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Your the one who asked about T-Taps ....did you install this explorer with them?
For pats you need to use a bypass module such as a xk04 from DEI with PKFORD firmware. You should only need one key to program unit.
unplug harness
starting from left to right looking at plug
pin 1 of plug is ground
pin 2 of plug is ignition
pin 3 of plug is RX
pin 4 of plug is TX
You can not use resistors for pats, only vats and passlock I and passlock II in older GM vehicles yes.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

When key inserted and in run position, one wire was ground and other three where hot. I attempted to jump the three wires with hot and see if the vehicle would then start without the key in the ignition.

Not a real good way to "test" any wires for connection during an install of a  remote start. You didn't even REALLY know what you were connecting together.

Komobu 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
Your right...I screwed up and I learned from it. Now I am trying to fix it. It is not a customers car and I have another like vehicle to get parts from. I am just now trying to figure out where the components are located in the vehicle. According to All-Data, the module is on the right side IP. I found what I think is the module. It is white with a ten pin connector(2 rows of five) that is mounted on top of the ac/heater box. It matches what AllData shows.
I will swap out the module from the other vehicle I have. It wont match the original key, but I am thinking if I dont attach the transponder to the ignition cylinder, I can place the key for this second vehicle in the center of the loop and see if the vehicle will start. If so, then I will mount everything as it should be and have the vehicle programmed and move on.
As far as the t-taps go, I have ordered them, but have not yet received them. Thanks for the info on the bypass module I need.
I know I must sound "Not To Bright" for making this type of screw up. I have installed 5 of these remote starts over the years before and never had a problem. I also never had any help other than the instructions. I have never encountered a PATS vehicle before though. All I can say is you live and learn.
Currently we use All-Data in the shop. Is there a better online program for wiring remote starts (hopefully with pics:-))?
Thanks again for the advice
Pat
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

im not sure if you can just throw the parts from the other vehicle in or not. from what you saying about using the key from the other vehicle it wont work. if swapping the parts does work than when you have the 2nd key there and turn the ignition with the 1st key the module will see two keys and wont start. you can try pulling the chip out of the key that turns the ignition and swap it with the one that works with the module

I would try this myself but I cant say that it will work or not

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic