icon

need a discreet sounding chirp siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  

I'm installing a keyless entry system in my 1990 Eclipse and I'd like to include a discreet "chirp" sound with the parking light flash when locking and unlocking doors. By "discreet" I mean unobnoxious, something that's unlikely to get on my nerves and result in disconnecting it.

I ran across one chirp capable siren here:
http://www.ecarsecurity.com/ProductDetails...R%2D20&Cartid=1
For $30 shipped.
Anybody know of any good (and preferably affordable) alternatives?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

Using the parking light output, in most cases, doesn't work out very well because the "chirps" need to be very short, and the parking light flashes are too long.

I've got a custom built electronic beeping system on my car - it uses a small piezo and custom controller.  Sounds almost exactly like the OEM Toyota setup.

Kevin Pierson
capamonkeyboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
are you going to have it actually do the keyless entry? ususally that is loud enough to hear, I would be sneaky and put the siren inside behind the dash. If someone gets inside the car and the alarm goes off, they will not stay in there for very long, it really hurts your ears. The great part is having it inside means the windows will dampen the volume and make it less obtrusive.
The best security is to not have anything to steal, but then again your car would be pretty boring.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Using the parking light output, in most cases, doesn't work out very well because the "chirps" need to be very short, and the parking light flashes are too long.

I've got a custom built electronic beeping system on my car - it uses a small piezo and custom controller.  Sounds almost exactly like the OEM Toyota setup.

Good point!  That hadn't occurred to me and I think you're right!  It's as though it needs a one-shot behavior that just gets triggered by the parking light flasher.  Though I would still need the "chirper" itself :)!

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

capamonkeyboy wrote:
are you going to have it actually do the keyless entry? ususally that is loud enough to hear, I would be sneaky and put the siren inside behind the dash. If someone gets inside the car and the alarm goes off, they will not stay in there for very long, it really hurts your ears. The great part is having it inside means the windows will dampen the volume and make it less obtrusive.

Thanks, but that solution doesn't really appeal to me!

icarus_icarus 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  

I was annoyed with the chirps on my CompuStar and the siren that came with it (too loud.) I bought a DEI 514N and cut the wire to make it use the soft chirp and was still annoyed (still too loud.) So I put the CompuStar one back in and put a piece of foam tape around the inside of the siren and it's perfect now. It tried the same with the 514N, but the sound was too distorted.

I hooked the horn output up with the alarm as well, so both the siren sounds and the horn goes off together, although the siren isn't very loud now. The horn doesn't chirp on the CompuStar units, just the siren. It's perfect as the sirens are ingored 99.9% of the time and annoying anyways imho...

The only thing that annoys me now is the drivers door priority unlock. It chirps twice when unlocking the drivers door, and two more times again when unlocking the passenger door. Same with popping the trunk with it armed, as it chirps when unlocking the car, and again when opening the trunk... (yes I can be annoyed easily at times! need a discreet sounding chirp siren -- posted image. )

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
need a discreet sounding chirp siren -- posted image.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
icarus_icarus wrote:

I was annoyed with the chirps on my CompuStar and the siren that came with it (too loud.) I bought a DEI 514N and cut the wire to make it use the soft chirp and was still annoyed (still too loud.) So I put the CompuStar one back in and put a piece of foam tape around the inside of the siren and it's perfect now. It tried the same with the 514N, but the sound was too distorted.

I hooked the horn output up with the alarm as well, so both the siren sounds and the horn goes off together, although the siren isn't very loud now. The horn doesn't chirp on the CompuStar units, just the siren. It's perfect as the sirens are ingored 99.9% of the time and annoying anyways imho...

The only thing that annoys me now is the drivers door priority unlock. It chirps twice when unlocking the drivers door, and two more times again when unlocking the passenger door. Same with popping the trunk with it armed, as it chirps when unlocking the car, and again when opening the trunk... (yes I can be annoyed easily at times! need a discreet sounding chirp siren -- posted image. )

Pretty wild :)!

I was oblivious to keyless entry until I recently purchased a Scion xB (roughly two months ago.)  Since then, I find it so convenient that I strongly prefer not to have to use a key :)!  This has resulted in my attacking the installation of keyless entry in my factory alarmed 1990 Eclipse.  Hence my questions :)!

From what you say and another comment above, I'm wondering if I might be best off purchasing another Scion alert and installing it in my Eclipse.  I've absolutely no complaints about it, even at four peeps for non-driver's door openings, sounds just fine to me!  Guess I should check with the dealer and see what the damage (cost) would be.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
Here is what my car sounds like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc9PXap0PUk
Kevin Pierson
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds good!  Nice job :)!
tillithz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
Here is what my car sounds like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc9PXap0PUk
anyway to get 'that' sound for the common person? I know you said it was custom and there was a controller board. Or, do you know of some electronic board that could control the factory item.. such as the toyota, or acura chirp pieces? thanks
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic