icon

need a discreet sounding chirp siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
I've decided to fly with the Scion beeper and makeshift a oneshot timer to adjust the duration.  My keyless entry controller has two signal outputs, so after the parking lights, there's still an available wire!  It's just begging for a beeper :)!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

tillithz wrote:
KPierson wrote:
Here is what my car sounds like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc9PXap0PUk
anyway to get 'that' sound for the common person? I know you said it was custom and there was a controller board. Or, do you know of some electronic board that could control the factory item.. such as the toyota, or acura chirp pieces? thanks

The beeper itself comes from Projects Unlimited.  It is a piezo with a built in driver circuit, so all you have to do is provide voltage to it and it emits the beep.  However, integrating it in to your locking system would still be difficult without the control board I made.

trevors wrote:
I've decided to fly with the Scion beeper and makeshift a oneshot timer to adjust the duration.  My keyless entry controller has two signal outputs, so after the parking lights, there's still an available wire!  It's just begging for a beeper :)!

Which output are you planning on using?  If you are going to build a one shot you would be best off to go with the parking light output, as you can get it to beep once for lock and twice for unlock (that is how most keyless systems flash anyway).  Do you have any info on the Scion beeper?  I've only messed with one OEM beeper and it was just a speaker - you had to drive it with whatever frequency you wanted it to beep at.  I would love to see some pictures of the installation if you wouldn't mind posting them.

Kevin Pierson
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Judging from the limited documentation with my controller, the two signal ouputs are equivalent -- the suggested application for both being parking lights.  The reason I'm falling back to the Scion is I own one and know the sound meets my needs -- I actually miss it when I operate my just-installed Eclipse keyless-entry.  I was hoping I could identify a good alternative at a price significantly lower than the typical auto dealer, but I'll just stick with what I know.

For my application, it really isn't necessary to have a dedicated controller output, just a convenience.  Given the extra signal output, a sonic companion to the parking lights just makes sense to me :)!   The drawbacks I see are the alert device isn't cheap, will probably have an oem specialized connector that's inconsistent with both the installation car and standard controllers and relays, and some kind of One-Shot has to be fabricated/mounted/powered -- other than that, a piece of cake :)!.

tillithz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson you got a model number by chance? when you say you simply supply voltage... do you mean you can potentially determine the duration the sound is produced? or is it a set thing and the pulsed voltage supplied is not relevant as far as the time its pulsed?
Im looking to integrate it with the tr7 i think it is.. the pac piece that can be programmed for multiple uses... like only arming/disarming... but also maintaining chirp deletion if desired on a per arming/disarming basis... ive got that part all worked out I just need the chirping device.
thanks in adavnce
KPierson 
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

I don't have a model number, but last time I checked there were only a few "loud" 12vdc piezos that they offered.

As long as voltage is supplied the unit will beep.  You can control how long the beep lasts by how long you apply voltage.

Kevin Pierson
tillithz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
right on, i think the ones for this project are under the indicators section. What you think the frequency is... maybe.. 5000 Hz ish?
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

You know, it's all very well to come up with circuits and solutions, but in the absence of clean mountable project packaging and wiiring connects/disconnects,  even rhe most elegant solution ends up half -assed :(!  Not very encouraging for the do-it-yourselfer.  Intentional? Or does no-one do it themself any more?

Anyone know of any good mobile packaging and interconnection suppliers?

KPierson 
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Half assed???

Here is my solution:

need a discreet sounding chirp siren - Page 2 -- posted image.

Modified on-the-shelf PacTec plastic enclosure ( www.PacTec.com)

Genuine Molex connectors ( www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com)
Modified Projects Unlimited electronic beeper ( www.projectsunlimited.com)
Wiring ( www.delcity.net)

The Molex connectors are nice, but the crimp tool is outragiously expensive (~$200).  If you are only doing a few you can get a knock off version fairly reasonable, but I wouldn't trust the crimped connections to last forever.

The PacTec enclosures are great.  Hammond also makes some nice enclosures.  I've been using more Hammond then PacTec lately.

Delcity has great prices on bulk wire.  I haven't been able to find a place to beat their prices on 20 ga stranded automotive grade wire.

Kevin Pierson
tillithz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
right on! slick!!
but thats not needed for alarm integration right, just the electronic beeper is?
KPierson 
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

That entire thing is soley for the electronic beep.

It has constant power and ground so that it can operate with the igntion off.

It has an ignition input so it won't beep if the car is on

It has a + door lock input and a + door unlock input so that it knows when to beep, and what beep pattern to use (one beep for lock, two beeps for unlock, one more beep for priority unlock)

It has a 200mA (-) parking light output to flash the parking lights (same patturn as the beep, just longer).

Kevin Pierson
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic