icon

need a discreet sounding chirp siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Well, as a follow up, I really had trouble simply waiting for the two "project" boxes to arrive, and so I cruised Radio Shack again.  Turns out they have a series of reasonably priced and sized "project" boxes on the shelf, and so I went with a pretty tiny 1"x2"x3" version (their smallest) and was just barely able to squeeze my piezo "peeper" perf board into it.  However, the heavily trimmed board and two mini-phone jacks just fit :)! So naturally, I wanted to fit my second project into the same box.

I tested the breadboard circuit in the car and it worked, so I returned to Radio Shack, picked up another 1"x2"x3" box and a DB9 subminiature male and female ( had already used the mini-phone on the Piezo box.), and this evening built it.  The transition from breadboard to final article ixn't necessarily problem-free, but when it's confirmed working in my Eclipse, I anticipate taking photos of both "controller" boxes and the Piezo buzzer install, and post them (in light of an earlier request) -- presuming the heavily restrictive rules for posting on this forum will allow it :(!

We'll see what happens :)!

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

So here's the photo -- nothing spectacular I'm afraid (including the focus :(), but just to the left of the two stacked modules, you can see the red nose of the Piezo buzzer.  As I mentioned earlier, it's mounted to the  actuator shelf with a single tiewrap -- the grey material round the Piezo's body is dense adhesive foam to stabilize it.  The modules are just sitting atop the HVAC relay box for the purpose of the photo, they normally live in the cabin along with the keyless entry controller and four relays (kinda crowded at this point.). 

need a discreet sounding chirp siren - Page 4 -- posted image.

If this image post doesn't work right, then sorry -- since I'm not permitted to edit my post, whatever is wrong will just have to stay that way :(!

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

tillithz wrote:
take out the tags

OK, I'll drop the HTML.  See if this works (fingers crossed:)

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a33/TrevorSt/Buzzer.jpg

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

How does it sound there?  I got the best results out of mine from aiming it down through the engine compartment to the ground below.  My main goal was distance though, not being discreet.

What beeper did you end up using?

Kevin Pierson
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
How does it sound there?  I got the best results out of mine from aiming it down through the engine compartment to the ground below.  My main goal was distance though, not being discreet.

What beeper did you end up using?

I went with the Toyota "peeper" :)!   For me, the number one requirement is that it doesn't annoy me, (hence the thread title), the second is audibility.  I can make it louder by delivering more current, but the louder it is, the less comfortable I find the sound.  I've adjusted the level about three times since installation -- it currenty sounds pretty reasonable to me, though modestly loud ambient can certainly drown it out.  However, if I could hear it then, it would probably get on my nerves in more typical quieter locations.

I previously read a recommendation to point the "siren" down -- reason being to minimize entry of road dust/dirt/debris.  Perhaps it would also be more 360 degree audible (presuming an open path to the ground ), however, I don't have a convenient way to mount it facing down (especially with a direct path to the ground) and I normally only operate the remote (thinking of my Scion as well) when in close proximity.  To (for example) unlock too soon, results in re-lock with the 2008  Scion xB setup.  I'm expecting this high-up far-back location to be reasonably low dust/dirt/debris, but to be seen.

noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
I thought I would ask this in this topic since alot of people have been chiming in. I wanted to know what is the best sounding (loudness and overall sound) and most reliable siren? If you could give brand and model number, that would really help. Thanks.
tillithz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
hey trevors, toyota peeper? you took stock piece and are using that?
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

noobie4life wrote:
I thought I would ask this in this topic since alot of people have been chiming in. I wanted to know what is the best sounding (loudness and overall sound) and most reliable siren? If you could give brand and model number, that would really help. Thanks.

I've no idea :)!

Read the thread from the beginning (at least my inputs), and you'll know where I'm coming from :)!

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  

tillithz wrote:
hey trevors, toyota peeper? you took stock piece and are using that?

As I mentioned, I recently purchased a 2008 Scion xB and I like the sound of it's "peeper" :)!  The reason I started this thread was to see if there were any interesting alternatives, target being my Eclipse.  Well, I can't say there aren't, but I still don't know what they are!  Hence, my choice was to go with what I already knew.  However, it's clear the sound of the Toyota "peeper" in my xB is not identical to the sound I'm getting with the supposedly identical device pictured above in my Eclipse.  If I removed a few rear engine compartment pieces from my xB (yet again), I might understand the reason for that (some specialized containment perhaps), but frankly, I'm in no rush to perform that disassembly (also don't really wish to purchase yet another Toyota part -  enough money spent already.!)

However, what I have is currently working for me and yes, I purchased it from Toyota specifically for installation in my Eclipse.

tillithz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
great!
by chance are you simply supplying 12 volts dc (or less) like a piezo beeper, or are you actually supplying the frequency to where its more like a speaker? As mentioned I am looking for a solution that would be a simple supply of 12 volts dc to activate the device. I have not had the ability to play with toyota stuff to learn about it, but the Acura piece I have is more like a speaker then a siren or piezo. I then want to package this in some way to make it an as easy add on, I think the discreet sound is desired by many. thanks for any input.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic