icon

tuning my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenwoodman 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Ok here goes,i have two 12" kenwood kfc w3011 4 ohm subs and a kenwood kac729s 600 watt amp with a kenwood excelerion 492 deck... my subs are rated at 400rms ,800 max and 1200 peak,my question is what should i set my gain and my lpf at, the lpf on my amp is NOT adjustable but the lpf on my deck is down to 50 hzs, should i bridge my subs or run them normally? Should i use both lpf's or just one and WHICH one should i use? I dont listen to much rap,mostly country and rock but i want the deep bass there if i need it as country DOES have lots of bass. Also what should i set my front and rear hpf's at? I have sony explode 4.5x3 and my rear are factory 6x9.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

Your amp has LPF preset to 80 Hz.  Use that, and set the high pass of your mids amp to 80 Hz as well.  Both filters should be set to the same frequency.  Let  the deck supply a full range signal to the sub amp.

Apparently, the subs are single voice coil 4 ohm, so combining two would yield either 8 ohms or 2 ohms.  Not good choices to have when you want to power the pair with a stereo amp.  You can combine them and bridge the amp at 8 ohms, or you can connect one sub to each amp channel.  Either way, output is 75 - 100 watts to each sub.

I suggest you start looking for a mono amplifier, and get one that puts out real watts.  You would then be able to wire the subs to a 2 ohm impedance and run them that way.

You're not ready for gain-setting yet, but to find out how, do a site search for gains, gain setting, gain or other likely key words.  Find the Google search tool at www.the12volt.com

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kenwoodman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
i have a two channel 4 ohm stable when bridged amp and two 4 ohm svc  subs,my question is can i connect them in series in the box and then brigde the amp ,would that bring a 4ohm load on my amp when bridged?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. That's fine, but when asking questions about the SAME system, car, or equipment, please continue with your already opened thread.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kenwoodman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

ok thank you,sorry about starting a new thread im a newbie,i just want to make sure i dont blow anything,i talked to a guy at an audio installation shop and he said that i couldnt do it like that and that it would still be a 2 ohm load when bridged,thought i would ask some people who REALLY know what they are talking about.

klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

kenwoodman wrote:
my subs are rated at 400rms ,800 max and 1200 peak,.

How can your subs be rated at 800 'max' and 1200 'peak'? Max and peak wattage are the same thing, and not a good way to judge the power handling of the sub. Instead look at rms...

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
kenwoodman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
thats not entirerly true,max wattage is what your subs can operate at and peak wattage is the absolute maximum amount of wattage you can feed your subs before they fry,at least thats how it was explained to me,anyway,thats what it says on the box they came in.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I think "peak" would be the same as what I am beginning to see again in REALLY cheap brands: PMPO. "Peak Millisecond Power Output", meaning they would be capable of handling 1200 watts for one millisecond - NOT a very long time.
RMS - The CONTINUOUS power handling capability or power producing capability. Safe to use or supply this much power indefinitely.
MAX - The MOST power the device can accept or produce for a dramatically reduced duty cycle - usually no more than 50%
PEAK - Millisecond output or accepting time frames, literally.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

kenwoodman wrote:
i have a two channel 4 ohm stable when bridged amp and two 4 ohm svc  subs,my question is can i connect them in series in the box and then brigde the amp ,would that bring a 4ohm load on my amp when bridged?

To be correct, when bridging a two channel amp the load is called by the bridged impedance.  When you series-wire those subs, you will have an 8 ohm bridged load which should correspond to the same output as 4 ohms per channel.  Be aware that series-wiring those subs will not result in a 4 ohm bridged load.

So, to find power output, divide the 4 ohm bridged power rating in half.  Compare that to the per channel at 4 ohm rating...they should be the same.  When they are not the same rating, as is this case (on the specs page I linked to in my first post), the actual power per sub is an iffy matter.  Which is why I stated above that each sub will get 75-100 watts.  But it's more likely to follow the watts per channel at 4 ohm rating which is 100 watts per sub.

If you have any information that is different than that, link to it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kenwoodman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Now that i got that figured out i have another question....i have two 4-way ,4.5 inch speakers in my car doors and two factory 6x9's in the rear window,my question is what should i set the hpf's to on my deck for these speakers,they have no amp as my kenwood exceleron amp is plenty loud enuff.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic