icon

bandpass vs ported

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
inoitall 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
I just wanted to know the pros and cons of each box. I currently have a dual bandpass box but I also have 2 single ported boxes that were made for my subs about 4 months ago. The bandpass box I have had for over 5 years. I want something that will give the killer bass at all frequecies, yet wont mess or blow the subs. Thank you in advance.
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
search it up... click whoo!
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
inoitall 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I looked at that link but it doesnt really help me out much. Basically a ported box is for SPL, a sealed box is for sound quality, and a bandpass box is for alittle spl and SQ. I guess I will just stick to my bandpass. I want some spl and sound quality, but am just afraid that If I used the ported boxes, that I would lose the SQ.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
In order of output capabilities (SAME woofer, SAME power) would be sealed (least output), vented and bandpass. Coincidentally, the order is EXACTLY the opposite for QUALITY of output, with sealed being recognized as the best for sound quality.
What is your desired goal? Output with respectable extension will nearly ALWAYS be a properly tuned vented enclosure, being as it offers the best in trade-offs.
Bandpass enclosures are horriffic enclosures from a sound quality standpoint. They "pass a band" of frequencies, (usually less than one octave flat, but if mistuned on purpose, you can get several octaves with HUGE response peaks on both ends) but do so very effectively, thus the output capbilites of such. Their group delay, transient response and extension ALL SUCK, relative to a quality vented enclosure, and aren't even in the same FIELD as a sealed enclosure. Generally, they are "one note wonders", offering little to NOTHING in the way of extension, unless you are using a HUGE!!!!!!!! enclosure. Even in this case, (speaking for the extension part) you won't ever get anything in the way of higher frequencies in the arena of "bass". One octave, remember?
Pros and cons? (and these are specified agains each other, sealed enclosure is NOT part of these)
Vented pros: Transient response, output, wider frequency response, easier to build and tune properly, more woofers to choose from, CAN be quite audiophile.
Vented cons: less output
Bandpass pros: more output
Bandpass cons: TERRIBLE frequency response, terrible transient response, TERRIBLY difficult to build correctly, destructive distortions (including amplifier clipping, and overexcursion) cannot be heard easily, fewer woofers are available than CAN be used in a bandpass effectively, have no place in a SQ system.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
What subs are you using?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

inoitall wrote:
Ok I looked at that link but it doesnt really help me out much. Basically a ported box is for SPL, a sealed box is for sound quality, and a bandpass box is for alittle spl and SQ. I guess I will just stick to my bandpass. I want some spl and sound quality, but am just afraid that If I used the ported boxes, that I would lose the SQ.

In general bandpass is the lowest SQ of any typical alignment so if you are seeking better SQ, dump the bandpass idea.  A well-designed bass reflex (ported) alignment will have FAR better SQ than a bandpass.  I suggest if you want to understand the differences and how each type works, start here: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

Support the12volt.com
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
"improperly tuned box". We have been over this ground before. Read down and find the relative info about ported and bandpass boxes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic