icon

kicker, indecisive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Your subwoofer choice and box choice depend on what you want: SPL or SQ.
I just ordered an Alpine Type R with an Alpine 500 watt amp, put all my specs in WinIsd, and it predicts around 112 to 113 db's within the 30 hz up to the 90 hz and beyond range.
I am going for an SQ-ish system, not really concerned with the output as much as the sound quality. I'm also in high school and it seems like everyone wants a bangin sub thats a one-note-hitter-quitter.
Also from what I hear you can't really get sound quality from a square woofer...just made for loud time thats not dynamic (won't hit highs and lows). That L5 is that bangin sub that's a one-note-hitter-quitter. I listened to an L7 and for the price I'd never buy it.
If you want something different do something different. I'd at least go for Eclipse woofers and amps...remember its all about the enclosure--spend most of your time doing enclosure construction. If you do it right you'll be satisfied.
Alot of these SQ guys suggest subs with the XBL^2 motor or something like that I think. I don't know what kind of deals you can get, but if you wanted to put your SPL money into SQ money you could go a long ways.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
i was really thinking about the eclipse sw8200 which i can get for just about 120 a piece  leaving me plenty of money to spend on a good amp and box. I would use the Win ISD program if i really knew what to do with all the damn specs that go into it and had someone who could convert those specs into a box...or does it do it for you?
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
You can put in your T/S parameters and you can do alot of things:
-see how loud it could be at certain frequencies
-design a box YOU want (the box YOU want may not be the one the manufacturer suggests)
-gives you port lengths/diameters etc.
-gives you general dimensions for your box
-personally I like to see how big my box is going to be in WinISD, see what room I have to work with in my car, and play with the box calculator on www.the12volt.com
-it's a free download, it has a help thing and that's how I learned to use it.
Also there is a sticky on how to use it. Don't feel like linking it.
Sasquatch...
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  

ill try it . any suggestions on an amp if i go with like 3 12' sw8200's?

mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
3 12's?
Dude are you a total bass junkie. I'm telling you I just hooked up my Alpine Type R and Alpine 500 w amp in a box I designed on WinISD and it absolutely slams and sounds great. $350 with shipping. Not competition but I love it.
Not saying those subs are bad but they are recommended sealed by Eclipse. Sealed is not really an SPL box.
I would recommend maybe one MTX 9500 12" maybe 15" in a nice ported enclosure designed on WinISD if you are looking for bass (seems like you want loud bass if you were going for 3 12's). I said MTX because you mentioned them a page back.
There's really too many sub choices for me to recommend just one. If you want 3 12's go for it. It would probably be bad ass. If you port them they would probably slam balls.
It would be a hell of a project to port 3 12's, and I don't know how I would start with 3 12's.
Honestly like I said before I would go with maybe a nice 15" ported and tuned down low. If you gave me the T/S parameters I could put it in WinISD for you and post up the charts, box volume, port size, etc...
Sasquatch...
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic