the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

opinion on my labor price sheet

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ceasar326 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
wow I'm like giving my labor away. How much you guys charge for 2 and 4 window roll up? I've been charging $50 for 2 windows.
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
250 a pair.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
overworked wrote:
250 a pair.
Plus parts, plus shop supplies.
Hey, this isn't a hobby folks, this is BUSINESS. Surprise! You want cheap, take it to your buddy with some tools. You want it done right, buck up, be professional, you are offering a professional service and skillset, then make sure you are compensated properly for it. That new big toolbox and table saw didn't show up magically for free. It gets paid for with a lot of hard work in a not so easy field.
Can you tell I am rather tired of DIY/hack shop prices and mentality yet????
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
overworked 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^^ Pretty much what he said sums up my feelings.
ceasar326 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
How is that possible with out scarring the customer?
overworked 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Easy, you need to believe in your prices and the work that you do. When I charge someone $55 for labour, $30 for the kit and $20 for a harness if one was used, I know that my price is fair both sides. Anyone can give a buddy $20 for putting in a deck....but is he going to back it up with a lifetime warranty on workmanship? Or is he just going to shrug his shoulders and blame the unit when it fades left to right and balances front to rear...or doesn't retain it's memory.
Your a professional. Right? Don't sell the farm, earn a living.
ceasar326 
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
How much would you guys charge let's say if a guy comes in and he got his stereo stolen and the theft cut the stock wire hardness. Would you charge a flat rate or per hour?
overworked 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
$100 for a hardwire.
overworked 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
gus1 wrote:
overworked wrote:
250 a pair.
Plus parts, plus shop supplies.
Hey, this isn't a hobby folks, this is BUSINESS. Surprise! You want cheap, take it to your buddy with some tools. You want it done right, buck up, be professional, you are offering a professional service and skillset, then make sure you are compensated properly for it. That new big toolbox and table saw didn't show up magically for free. It gets paid for with a lot of hard work in a not so easy field.
Can you tell I am rather tired of DIY/hack shop prices and mentality yet????
Just so people are aware, all the prices I quote are plus parts and supplies. I sometimes have a 10-15% sundries charge to cover that.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
ceasar326 wrote:
How is that possible with out scarring the customer?
How so? You are providing a specialized skill that they don't have. Do you bitch when you go to the dentist? They aren't cheap. How about a dealership?
It is up to you to sell it as a professional service. This is why you also get to offer a warranty on your work..... and the price should reflect that as well (unless you charge to do warranty work, then the initial price should reflect this). If I am charging you $75/hr, you are getting good work, work with a waranty, and piece of mind that you will be taken care of as a customer. How do you put a price on that?
Hell, even the box stores are raising their rates.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic