the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

loudest subwoofer set up w/ 500 600 rms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
What is the loudest subwoofer set-up you can get for 500-600 RMS?
I am doing this for my cuz, and he has a stock alt. I was thinking go with a single 12" alpine type R in a 3 cu.ft. Ported box? Or maybe you guys think 2x 12" Kicker comps? I dont know since I dont have alot of experience with alot of subs.
Help us out here. Money isnt a concern.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Mine.

But seriously, loudest setup takes a lot of experimenting.  And sounds like crap...but you aren't asking for anything but loud.  If this were my test, I would start with a bandpass and use WinISD to help me find highest SPL  *in cuz's vehicle*  before I started cutting wood.  I'd use a series of test tones with another setup in that vehicle to find the best resonant freq.  Use that freq as your guide as you work the box dimensions.  I'd probably model it using two subs, and work out placement so that they are both firing from the same plane and in the same direction toward the back of the vehicle.

By the way, if money isn't a concern, why the limit of 600 watts?  Is cuz wanting you to set him up for comp?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Mine.

But seriously, loudest setup takes a lot of experimenting. And sounds like crap...but you aren't asking for anything but loud. If this were my test, I would start with a bandpass and use WinISD to help me find highest SPL *in cuz's vehicle* before I started cutting wood. I'd use a series of test tones with another setup in that vehicle to find the best resonant freq. Use that freq as your guide as you work the box dimensions. I'd probably model it using two subs, and work out placement so that they are both firing from the same plane and in the same direction toward the back of the vehicle.

By the way, if money isn't a concern, why the limit of 600 watts? Is cuz wanting you to set him up for comp?

Its limited because of the fact that he does not want his headlights to dim and strain his alt. So I told him that he should stick with nothing more than 600 watts RMS. His dad is really strict on him so this is why we cant upgrade his alt or put in something like a kenetic battery. It is a 4 door mitsubishi Galante (4 cyl). He had to beg his dad to let him buy subs, so we came up with this, but he (like myself) loves loud music. (Sound quality imo is for those people that dont listen to loud music)
Well, I have winisd and i am gonna go ahead and see whats up.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

My system sounds good AND gets plenty loud. ONE 10" sub, BTW.

If you want it loud, and only loud, stevdart has the right idea... But, it will only hit the certain tuning freq loud -the rest WILL sound like crap.

If he wants it to get loud at low freq's (which is considered SQ material), then a simple ported box will do you good. If he wants it loud, then do what stevdart suggested.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah we already have our minds set, He is gonna buy 1 alpine type 12" and a 600 watt rms monoD hifonics amp. This set up should be loud enough for his tastes.
Now I have read that the type R   beats the hardest in a 2.5-3 cu.ft box. Therefore I will find blueprints for a 3 cu.ft. box tuned to 35hz for him.
It will be easy for us to buy the 3/4 MDF material and cut it. The hard part will only be finding a blueprint and borrowing a nail gun to seal up the box since I dont want predrilled holes in the wood. I think wood glue and nail guns are the best way to go. Well if any of you guys can help us let me know, my Email is (and no I am not gonna pay for blueprints, do this out of kindness)Thnx!
Hotgtboy2099@@aim.com
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2008 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Money is no object and your going with hifonics?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
I would suggest atleast a 1000 watt rms amp. I gave my Type R 1200 watts rms and it did fine...they are underrated on the powerhandling spec pretty good if you know what you are doin.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2008 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
advanced_audio wrote:
Money is no object and your going with hifonics?
Well I thought hifonics was good? As long as it supplies the watts I dont mind, and I also read hifonics had underrated amps. Now dont suggest something like JL audio becuz he is not looking for sound quality.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2008 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
I would suggest atleast a 1000 watt rms amp. I gave my Type R 1200 watts rms and it did fine...they are underrated on the powerhandling spec pretty good if you know what you are doin.
Well I do plan to but it in a Oversized 2.5-3 cu.ft. box. I am guessing a 700 rms @2 ohm hifonics amp would be playing it safe.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
i think fior  one sub a aplien not saying what model it is in a 3 cu box is kinda too big .
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic