icon

adding a siren to a factory alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jaice 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 Chevy Impala LS with the factory alarm. I was wanting to add an aftermarket siren to it, so when the alarm sounds, it will horn honk and siren. I'm sure the factory is all set up through the bcm so it tells the horn to sound, I could be worng. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only one I could think of as wire the siren up with the horn in the front, it might work, only drawback is when I press the horn it will siren also, would this work?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2008 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Your best bet would be to find the wiring diagram for the alarm system.  Some cars have seperate circuits for the alarm horn output and the steering wheel horn output, but some cars use the same circuit.

If it does use the same circuit you could wire a relay up to prevent the siren from sounding if the ignition is on - that might be good enough.  You may also be able to tap in to the steering wheel horn switch (most are low current (-) signals that drive relays or BCMs) and prevent the siren from sounding whenever the steering wheel horn switch is pushed down.

Kevin Pierson
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2008 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  

the previous post is an easy enough solution, you can also try adding a capicitor to the siren to keep it on during the gaps in the horn honks so as the horn is honking, the siren remains constant throughout. There's a diagram on here for cornering lights (to turn on and stay on with intermitent turn signal) that should work for this.

MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic