icon

wiring amp and cd player wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioinstaller3 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Just wondering if their is a way to hook up my radio's speaker outputs to my speakers, and still use the rca's on my 4 ch. amp to push the speakers with the amp. The reason is, when I take my car to the track. I remove my amps and subs, but would like the aftermarket radio to still play my speakers. Any ideas how to wire it?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
The only way to hook up two different amplifiers to the same speakers is by using a switch such as a speaker selector switch or creating your own switch matrix using a couple of DPDT relays.
Support the12volt.com
audioinstaller3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
I just came up with a new idea. Just using a line output converter, but set up in reverse. So when I take out my 4 ch. amp. Use the rcas and connect to the hi-lo. Then connect the speaker wires right there from the wires I disconnected from the amp. Would that work. It's not hooking up 2 amps. Its needing a fast way to have my radio push the speakers when I remove my 4 ch. amp. so right now I have no music cause my 4 ch. amp is out of the car. Without having to pull out the radio and connect the speaker wires in the back of the radio everytime. I want a fast way to make it easier for me to remove the amp, and connect the aftermarket radio to push the speakers with no amp.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Your head unit (radio) is an amp too.  And no, your idea will nopt work, sorry.  You need to use a switch.
Support the12volt.com
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

you can't use a high/low converter in reverse to increase the output of your rca's to speaker level.  You'll have to use a speaker selector switch or you can use wiring harnesses to switch at the amp.  Here's what I'd do.

Run your speaker level out's from the HU back to the amp location along with the RCA's.  At the amp location connect a deck wiring harness using only the speaker connections.  Then connect the same harness to the outputs from the amplifier.  Take your speaker leads that go out to the speakers and connect them to a REVERSE harness of the same type.  Then all you have to do is unplug one harnes and click it into the other.

wiring amp and cd player wires -- posted image.

audioinstaller3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much Megaman. That was exactly what I needed. I'm doing it as we speak. What speaker gauge wire would you recommend I use. Since the 16gauge wire I bought keeps burning the insulation near the amp hook up. Not sure if its a problem or not, but it might be if it melts thru. Thanks
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
or you could wire it all up how you you want it.  running wires to speakers too from deck.  but just add bullet connectors in the wires ran from deck to speakers . (in a easy access area )  disconnect them when running amp.  connect them when running no amp. 
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
"16gauge wire I bought keeps burning the insulation near the amp hook up. Not sure if its a problem or not, but it might be if it melts thru. Thanks".
Ahh ya, this is a problem...
audioinstaller3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
so the connector plugs all have 18 gauge wire on them. so should I even bother to run thicker cable like 12 gauge to the amp from the amp plug, and then from the speaker plug to the speakers? Or just leave everything 18 gauge?
DYohn 
Posted: August 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

audioinstaller3 wrote:
Thanks so much Megaman. That was exactly what I needed. I'm doing it as we speak. What speaker gauge wire would you recommend I use. Since the 16gauge wire I bought keeps burning the insulation near the amp hook up. Not sure if its a problem or not, but it might be if it melts thru. Thanks

What wire is melting?  Speaker wire?  If so you have something connected incorrectly... assuming it really is 16 AWG wire.  What amp, what speakers?

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic