icon

1997 subaru legacy central locking issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chizzy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

long time reader, first time poster. i've just got myself a "BlackHawk V2000" GPS tracking system for my 1997 Subaru Legacy work car to install as a demonstration for customers. it has the capabilty to recieve a text from your cell phone to lock and unlock the doors but the central locking diagrams that come with it do not give a description of wiring for single wire CDL systems like that of my car and also only has 5 wires instead of the usual 6.

digrams from install manual are as follows:

3 WIRE NEGATIVE-

1 - Not Used

2 - Negative Unlock Wire

3 - To Ground

4 - Not Used

5 - Negative Lock Wire

3 WIRE POSITIVE-

1 - Not Used

2 - Positive Unlock Wire

3 - To Fused +12V

4 - Not Used

5 - Positive Lock Wire

5 WIRE ALTERNATING-

1 - To Unlock Switch

2 - To Unlock Motor

3 - To Fused +12V

4 - To Lock Switch

5 - To Lock Motor

ACTUATORS / REVERSE POLARITY-

1 - ----------------------------------- connect to 4

2 - To Actuator                        

3 - To Fused +12V

4 - ----------------------------------- connect to 1

5 - To Actuator

I did some cross referencing with another alarm im familiar with and came up with:

1 - Not Used

2 & 5 - Relay Side of Control Wire

3 - Ground

4 - Door Side Of Control Wire

do you know if this would work or if im gonna need extra relays. if so, where can i find a diagram?

thanks in advance

nz represent
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am still kind of new at this, but I take it you have the single wire with resistors type system?
chizzy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

not exactly sure. i haven't actuallty started the install yet as its raining :( but i've done many of these cars before and they all use what the alarm manuals call "single wire CDL" so i know mine will be aswell.

there is one wire in the drivers kickpanel that changes from a ground to a power depending on what the drivers door lock is doing. eg, its showing a ground with a probe so you flick a power onto it and it locks but as soon as you disconnect that power, it unlocks again. when you cut this control wire, all doors go to either locked or unlocked (i forget but it's one or the other) 

Do you follow?

then normally  the connections would be as follows:

1 - Connect to CDL Relay Side of Control Wire

2 - Ground

3 - Cut Off And Insulate, Not Used

4 - Connect to CDL Relay Side of Control Wire

5 - Cut Off And Insulate, Not Used

6 - Connect To Door Side Of Control Wire

but this new blackhawk only has 5 central locking wires which got me stumped haha

these were taken from the manual of an AVS alarm which i have used many times and had no problem with.

link to install manual of AVS alarm: http://www.avs.net.nz/uploads/dealer_area/AVS_3010.pdf        relay diagram is at the top of page 9

nz represent
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Chizzy,
That Subaru will need to have an actuator added to the driver's door, as the factory central locking system did not come with one.
Your manual may have information on how to wire an added aftermarket actuator; if it doesn't look here.
Install that and the rest of them will move automatically whenever your aftermarket actuator does.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
I can show you photos of how to do it on an Impreza even if it's the opposite door to you, It's a pain and you have to move the channel to get the motor in. PM me with your email address. On  thinking further I'm with Chris on the Imprezza needing an actuator but  I remember doing a Legacy at the time which was 1 wire locking, the principle being that you apply a neg to the wire to unlock and open circuit via a relay (or from your unit if you have 6 lock wires)to lock it OR vice versa  This diagramme should be on this sight or any DEI install guide except Arrow 5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Look at the lock section on this sight, Nissan Sentra, it's the same system.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
OK, I've just been to this sight and Directechs, this sight* isn't sure DEI says it's a one wire system, if you've only got a 2 wire output use a relay as in the diagramme I mentioned in the previous post. Sorry about the "wrong way round door" I just realised that unlike the US you also drive on the proper side and before Chris jumps down my throat we ALL drove on the left before Henry Ford and Andre Citroen.   * I refuse to spell sight the American way even if they are right, (NOT rite) it's a privilage of age. Thank you.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Chizzy, your second post has it exactly right, you will do no damage if you get the leads the wrong way round. Got to help the colonials.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Bullet Tooth Tony: A bookie's got blagged last night.
    Avi: Blagged? Tony, speak English. I thought this country spawned the f***ing language, and so far nobody seems to speak it.
Anyway, here's the diagram you'd use for single wire locking, however I'm still inclined to think that you need an actuator. U.S. spec Legacys of that year and earlier did not have one in the driver's door.
If your passenger door actuator will lock and unlock all the doors then an actuator is unnecessary - also if that wire you mentioned before was actuating all doors including the driver's door, the same applies.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Actualy it's a New Ziland spec mite (that's my attempt at an strine accent), what do you call an intelligent Australian--- a New Zealander Poor jokes aside Australian and New Zealand vehicles will be either Jap or UK spec. If UK they wil have multipoint locking.As a point of interest Sweden changed to RH drive in 1958 and in Italy they drove on left in towns and right in country or vice versa, till about 1952, in one of the first two Godfather movies Pacino goes back to Sicily and you see him driving a RH drive Lancia or Alfa Romeo. Mind you back in the 60's when Europe got Colour TV, UK and Germany went Pal, France and Russia went SECAM and the Italians transmitted both!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic