icon

phoenix gold hookup extensive .

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
"A quick word about using capacitors... unless you're building a magnetic igniter system for a high wattage lamp, don't make it a first thought.
Inductor wise, I'm trying to decide what you want to use them for. There are thousands of types of inductors, from various forms of line filters, to magnetic isolator systems... I can think of a billion ways to use inductors, most for filtering purposes. What has you thinking you need these, and where?
Your concern for a capacitor is slightly misguided. It will not help your power supply issues. See the Upgrading the Big Three post concerning how to upgrade your charging system, giving you a better power run to this amplifier."
Where in the hell did any of this come from???
"www.newark.com www.jameco.com www.digikey.com www.mouser.com"
The only thing you will find from any of these are resistors, very overpriced I might add.
You want Partsexpress, Madisound, Speaker City, Solen. You are quite correct to want help from Dyohn, Heamphyst, Jeff.
Ditch the 10 AWG, not going to do you any good. Waste of money, pain in the ass to solder/crimp and it bitch to get into the doors.
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Well, me being the nerd I am would build some stupid huge project box full of LED's for no real reason other than it looks cool :)
Look at the current pass ratings for everything and go from there, it's just a matter of filling in the pie chart before you find something. If you get realll deep in Newark you will probably find some good stuff. There's a European distributor who I can't think of the site of the top of myhead that carries more "Industrial Size" components, like 10 Watt+ resistors and such... I'll post them if I can remember their name.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy wrote:
"A quick word about using capacitors... unless you're building a magnetic igniter system for a high wattage lamp, don't make it a first thought.
Inductor wise, I'm trying to decide what you want to use them for. There are thousands of types of inductors, from various forms of line filters, to magnetic isolator systems... I can think of a billion ways to use inductors, most for filtering purposes. What has you thinking you need these, and where?
Your concern for a capacitor is slightly misguided. It will not help your power supply issues. See the Upgrading the Big Three post concerning how to upgrade your charging system, giving you a better power run to this amplifier."
Where in the hell did any of this come from???
"www.newark.com www.jameco.com www.digikey.com www.mouser.com"
The only thing you will find from any of these are resistors, very overpriced I might add.
You want Partsexpress, Madisound, Speaker City, Solen. You are quite correct to want help from Dyohn, Heamphyst, Jeff.
Ditch the 10 AWG, not going to do you any good. Waste of money, pain in the ass to solder/crimp and it bitch to get into the doors.
It came from me not initially understanding what he wanted, and responding before I thought a little more on it. And there's much more to be had from those sites, but yeah, resistors and transformers there are kinda over priced. Insert Radioshack. I also wanted their help because I had ventured off in my head to a palce of curiosity actually wondering about things that wouldn't help him at all, so off my back you go.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
basketthis69 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy wrote:
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
16 or 14 AWG is fine for speaker wire. When you buy inductors use air core and use 14 AWG min. Caps, spend the money on the MetalPoly. The Dayton stuff at Partsexpress is fine.
I like to mount passives in the rear somewhere.
Run a home run from each speaker back to the board. This way you can experiment easily without taking the doors apart later. The values you are going to need are off the shelf parts. You don't need anything industrial.
basketthis69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy wrote:
16 or 14 AWG is fine for speaker wire. When you buy inductors use air core and use 14 AWG min. Caps, spend the money on the MetalPoly. The Dayton stuff at Partsexpress is fine.
I like to mount passives in the rear somewhere.
Run a home run from each speaker back to the board. This way you can experiment easily without taking the doors apart later. The values you are going to need are off the shelf parts. You don't need anything industrial.
Thanks again!
Now, you've got me thinking the bottom side of the rear deck for the passives. phoenix gold hookup extensive . - Page 2 -- posted image. And, the capacitors behind the speaker close to the terminals?
After looking at the Partsexpress site, I see the in-line crossovers but can't seem to find the smaller caps that I would need. I see an 80Hz High Pass 8 Ohm crossover for example. Does that mean it is meant to be hooked up to an 8 Ohm speaker and the 4 ohm is for a 4 ohm speaker and so on?
Installer for life.
basketthis69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Found them!! You mean "Dayton Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors"?
Thanks guys! You guys are great!! I'm sure this will take me a while to get all together, but trust me you guys will know the progress! phoenix gold hookup extensive . - Page 2 -- posted image. I definitely know who to go to for guidance! I really appreciate the answers and resources.
Installer for life.
basketthis69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
LOL! One more question... It states on the Phoenix Gold manual that I should use only bi-polar capacitors. Are those bi-polar or would the ones that say bi-polar be the only ones that are?
I'll stop asking questions for at least a couple of hours from now. LOL. I promise.
Installer for life.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, this thread went to the moon and then back.

Ignore all the discussion concerning electronic power circuit design and references to Mouser or Digikey.  What your graphic illustrates is a passive crossover network.  Assembling this is not something that can just be thrown together, it requires quite a bit of knowledge and experimentation to get it right.  If what you want to do is experiment and play around and learn, go for it.  But unless you have the proper experience, getting one to sound right the first time usually requires a lot of luck.

Using the amplifier like that is called Tri-Mode, by the way, and there are pre-made crossovers for that purpose if you want to try it.  What speakers are you trying to use?  That is necessary information to design your own custom crossover.

Support the12volt.com
basketthis69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2008 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I am planning on going with kicker components in the front. 3-way 6x9's in the rear. The KS series. I think they're 4 ohm.... I also have a set of 3 inch Alpine type-s that I'm going to replace my dash speakers with. I know that the component set will come with crossovers. I'll just use those for the front doors. But I will need the other crossovers for the dash speakers, rear deck, and sub. Am I right about the way the crossover matches up with ohm load?
I was planning on using 100-120Hz high pass for the front dash speakers.
100Hz high pass for the rear deck 6x9s.
80Hz low pass for the sub.
All with respective ohm loads of course!
Installer for life.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic