icon

second amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have been running my 2 12's off a TMA 500.1 @ 2ohm and running my mids and highs from the deck (PYLE PLD51MUBT) 80x4 (probably about 20x4 watts rms) so I decided to take the PYLE PLA2240 that I had laying around and throw it in for some of the highs (front 2 speakers only 40x2 rms) it made the high end much louder and cleaner, the back 6x9's still run off the deck. Now here is my question. Was running a bit,  just to make sure everything started up and sound was coming out, then put the dash back together, started the car in the garage an listened at idle, started turning it up,,,,,sounded great.......................then my bass started going on and then off, then the highs got all distorted, reved it and took it for a drive and it sounded awesome again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I assume that now I have to do the BIG 3 and the HO-alternator?

The big 3 on my car looks pretty difficult, 2004 Hyundai Sonata

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like for the highs your amps not setup righ t as for gains and the sub if its going when the bass hit its either you have a loose wire inside the subs box or on the amp or you might not have enough ground on your amp . what did you ground your amp to and did you ensure your connections are tightly secured
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Sweet that is just how mine sounded right before my alt. quit that was back when I was young and dumb. Your charging system is not able to keep up with the power your pulling. Like said before check all your grounds and power wire,  then start with the big 3.

The fun part of when that happened to me was when I was heading home after shool and my alt died then a few miles later my car died too since it was running off the battery.

But the best part it died in front of a dairy farm on a warm day. Oh the smell of that crap!

04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
it seems to be ok when I am driving, just died out while I was in the garage, ground is in the trunk. 8 ga ground also screwed to the metal in the trunk (that is where the shop put it in the beginning) is that not good enough?
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

heck with it I just went back to running the highs off the deck, could it be the gage of the speaker wire? it is like 12 from the amp up to the head unit area and then like 18 to the speakers........guess I will have to stop pretending to know what I am doing, save my money and get local professionals to fix it. 

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
That doesn't sound right so you have 12 guage wire for your highs on between the amp and speakers right. Did you check your gains and crossover if you have a built in one on your amp. Also does your headunit have 1 set of preouts or two.
What I would do is preout to rca to a 4 channel amp for the interior speakers and the subs same thing. Second set of preout to rca to amp and 12 guage for the subs. On the interior you might wanna go with 14/16 guage wire but I would go with 16. On wiring it power/ground run from battery with fuse and run a distro block for the power and ground and hook the amps that way. As for the remote wire daisy chain off one wire from your HU and split it between your amps when you get to the trunk
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

my deck has 2 sets of rca preouts and a subwoofer out, so I hooked the front speakers to the amp, and hooked the front out rca's from the deck to the amp, the back speakers I left running off the deck's 2 rear channel speaker output (deck has stated 80x4, so I was only using 2 of the 4.)

I ran 14 or 16ga from the PYLE 2240 highs amp, up to the front dash, where I spliced into the factory wiring that goes to the front door speakers

I have 2- 8 gage runs from the battery to the trunk where the amps are at, grounds for the amp are short and in the trunk screwed to the sheet metal of the trunk.

gain on the amp yesterday (when I got frustrated and unhooked the amp) was set at less than 1/4 turn from all the way down,

My thought was that the amps were drawing too much power and in turn shutting down or getting distorted, but it is only 600 watts, even my sorry little 110amp alternator should keep up with that, all I added was a PYLE PLA2240- 2x50 watts, it says it has a Mossfet power supply, but maybe since it is a cheap amp it draws too much, I have no idea,  any help will be appreciated

so for now it is disconnected and all the mids and highs are running off the deck again, stated 80x4 (but I think it is more like 20x4 rms, is sounds fine again and the bass amp is no longer cutting out, but I would really like to use an amp to get some cleaner louder highs.

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok on the HU for the subs you run the rca to the amp and plug it into the INPUT not output. Same goes for the highs. Assuming the amp for your highs is 4 channel it should be marked left channel and right. You wire the speaker left on left and same for right make sure you get the polarties right. Are you having any problem with the power/ground wiring setup. At this point when you had both of them plugged up did you get power on both of them. Other than that make sure your remote wires are connected. Let us know if you need any further help
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I do know that much, everything was hooked up correctly in theory, but after a while of playing the highs would start to sound like CRAP, distorting out like an mis-tuned radio station

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Then its ur gains and the built incrossover. Start by turning the gain all the way to the left and tune it according to your taste. Its a forum post on how ajust your gains
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic