icon

first alarm, 2003 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lnhiv 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty straightforward: I've never done an alarm before, nor have I had one. I have a 2003 Cavalier 2dr, with power nothing and its manual. I plan on having power windows and locks in the near future, I just need to find the time to do it all.
I'd like some opinions on which alarm to choose. I know I want a glass break sensor, shock sensor and preferably a proximity sensor. It also must have a siren. I'd also like to install a dedicated battery for the brain. I'm currently looking at the Clifford Matrix 12.5 and the RSX 3.5 (I don't care about the remote start, I just wanted the options they came with).
Any better suggestions as to an alarm to choose? I'd like one with good range that is two way paging.
Thanks in advance
2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Just get one that is safe for a manual trans.....
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
i just plan on not hooking up the auto start...my car doesn't have a neutral safety switch, just a clutch safety switch. i don't want some idiot hitting the button after the g/f has left it in first.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
oops, not auto start, remote start, my bad
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
If you get a system that is manual tranny safe you don't have to worry about the car being left in gear accidently. You have to go through a quick process before getting out of the vehicle which will put the system in reservation mode. If you don't put the vehicle in reservation mode before getting out, then vehicle will not attempt to remote start. And, it is impossible to put the vehicle in reservation mode if the vehicle is left in gear, making the system manual transmission safe.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so what are some that are manual safe? I've heard about them before, but I was always under the impression that they were neutral safety switch dependent. I've never actually found one though.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I use Compustar... It's what I have on my own truck. They make some nice systems that are manual tranny safe. Directed has a module that will make their stuff manual tranny safe. This module will probably even work on the Clifford you want,but I'm not sure. One of the guys on here that uses Directed stuff can let you know for sure.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
I can't find the DEI module, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. I like compustar, but I honestly can't afford one right now, especially since I can't find a shop that will sell me one without install. That's the main reason I'm looking at dei stuff; I can get it online for cheap and I can install it myself.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

You can use the new Responder LE products from DEI which are designed for Manual and Automatic transmissions.  Clifford Matrix 3.3x is what we sell in this scenario.  You can also use a DEI 689M which is a manual transmission add-on piece for auto starts that aren't designed for manuals.  It's a pain in the (ahem) but it also sets up the reservation mode. 

Compustar is a great product that is set up for manuals, or try the new Responders from Viper, Clifford, or Python.

lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, here it is...I'm undecided between the Clifford 12.5x, the Clifford RSX 3.5 and the Viper 5002. I don't care about the remote start, and I don't want to deal with hooking it up.
I'm going to get the 506 glass break sensor and the 507 digital motion sensor. I will also get either the 515 battery backup siren and/or the 520 battery backup module.
Which of these three is the best (again, ignoring the remote start)? Also, should I get the 515 or the 520 or both?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic