icon

sq amps pdx/jl hd/ jl slash v2 series

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schizophrenic 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

hello everyone i'm designing a system for my friends 71' ford bronco i plan on using focal 165 k2p's or polyglass 165 vr's (front) polyglass 165 cvx (rear fill) jl 10w3v3 subs  but unsure which amps to power these beauties i've been told to stick with the jl slash v2 series any other qualified opinions based on experience i mean someone that has used or even heard these amps perform thanks for your input

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

Please don't post in all caps, and please use punctuation.  Reading the forum rules might be a good idea.

I personally prefer the Alpine PDX to the JL Audio amps for mains.  For subs those have no discernible difference.

Support the12volt.com
schizophrenic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the mistake i made earlier and thanks for your input.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

discernible difference.

Thats cool..... sq amps pdx/jl hd/ jl slash v2 series -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
PDX, baby! I have 2200 watts of the stuff in my trunk. I will tell you right now, though... You WON'T like the Focals with the revealing nature of the PDX amps. (I don't like the Focals ANYWAYS, but they will be B-R-I-G-H-T on those amps.) The Focals have a very brash character to start with, (metal domes, and all...) and I'm not a fan of the metal domes, from ANY manufacturer. The Focal products are FAR more expensive than they are worth.
(Just since you were asking for opinions... Focals? Beauties? Not in my book.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
what do you think bout the cdt or morels haemphyst? or running the focals with zapco amps?
schizophrenic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

I agree, Focal tweeters are bright and kind of annoying after about 10 minutes of listening. I also took a listen the Hex Series from Diamond audio much smoother with silk dome tweeter.

Oyeah, i meant cosmetically beautiful.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
The Morels would be a better choice in my opine! I am a Morel fan from WAY back. The CDTs DO have some nice products, but from what I have heard they are far more critical of placement. This leads me to believe that the crossovers are really shallow slopes, or not necessarily perfectly integrated... Translation: cheap-ish. This is just me. If you were to go with a full active system, the CDTs are very nice, indeed.
Zapco is a FANTASTIC product. I love that stuff, too. Expendy, but worth it. For slightly less money, the new Alpine PDX amps are also beautiful products. HUGE power in small efficient boxes.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
what would you recomend then for a passive 3 way and an active 3 way set up then? price doesnt matter, but a nice sq for a daily driver/ comp vehicle
schizophrenic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
The Morels would be a better choice in my opine! I am a Morel fan from WAY back. The CDTs DO have some nice products, but from what I have heard they are far more critical of placement. This leads me to believe that the crossovers are really shallow slopes, or not necessarily perfectly integrated... Translation: cheap-ish. This is just me. If you were to go with a full active system, the CDTs are very nice, indeed.
Zapco is a FANTASTIC product. I love that stuff, too. Expendy, but worth it. For slightly less money, the new Alpine PDX amps are also beautiful products. HUGE power in small efficient boxes.

Which series from Morel? Hopefully they sound better than MBQ's sq amps pdx/jl hd/ jl slash v2 series -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic