icon

little sub, little watts, big sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I have one Alpine Type-R in about a 2.5-ish cube foot ported box with a 500 w Alpine; the box was designed on WinISD and I really like it.  I'm one to never be satisfied so i'm always looking for something new.  Well to the topic:

My type r sounds great to me.  I just want to be one of those guys who has  a small amount of wattage and a small sub, but big sound.  Does that make sense?  If possible I would like my new little sub little amp set-up to be same amount of money/cheaper than my current set-up.

Also WinISD estimated about a steady 110ish dbs across the board. (I'd know more exact numbers, but my computer is getting fixed so i'm on a buddie's comp)

I'm not looking for an 8" to hit ridiculous dbs or anything.  Just looking for a unique set up (sub/box combo) that involves a small sub and a small box that hits about as hard as my Alpine 12" and costs the same/less.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hoffman's iron law states that you can have two, but never all three between high output, high efficiency, and a small enclosure. You MUST give up one to get the other two. Do you want high output in a small box? Then you will need a lot of power to do it.
An 8" or 10" sub that can keep up with a 12 probably isn't going to be cheap. Unfortunately you are going to have to compromise somewhere.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
an 8 or 10 inch sub can keep up with your 12" type r...but the enclosure is going to have to be huge...some kind of 6th order bandpass or horn loaded enclosure
ianedward1 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
really its not so much that you need a massive box or anything. you can find 8's that will hit nicely if you look hard enough but to get something thats gonna compete on the level of a type r 12 your probably going to be throwing down a good bit of cash. if your willing to throw it down then you could go with a jl 8w7 or for a bit less bass then the alpine you could go with a kicker 8L7 and with a ported box might be doing ok. thats just what i know
Head Unit - Pioneer P80MP
Sub - 1 10" Soundstream T-5
Amps - 1 Kicker KX400.1, 1 Legacy crap 2 channel
Door Speakers - Audiobahn 600V Components
Box - Custom by Southern Sound in Statesboro, GA
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Little speakers with little watts that can produce big sound?  Try Tang Band 6.5" subs.  Two in a vented enclosure @ 35Hz powered by 100 watts rock!  When these little guys were in my car people kept asking me "Where are your subs?"
Support the12volt.com
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Would this little sub hit lows and be as loud as my Alpine?  Waiting for computer to get fixed, don't have WinISD.

Sasquatch...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Hit lows?  Yes.  As loud?  No.
Support the12volt.com
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
 Tang Bands rock.......Look into some peerless SLS 8 inchers, or if you can find some look int the peerless XLS 8 inchers
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
And the digital designs  8" in a slot port box.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

These all look pretty cool.  Would these have as good SQ as the Type R?  I'm not just looking for straight high output. 

Sasquatch...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic