icon

ast ultra remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zirconx 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
After a little back and forth with AST (they were very helpful with their two-word email response), I think I have this figured out.
The documentation is very bad. But 97gss you were right, on page 13 of the installer manual they say that holding unlock for 3 seconds will activate the trunk release.
The user manual (you know, the one you would think would tell you how to use it) has no mention of this. They also have no mention of the trunk release at all, only aux 1. So I assumed that aux 1 was used for the trunk, but from looking at the installer manual it looks like there is a trunk release in addition to aux 1 and aux 2 outputs.
So with the two-way unit you do loose aux 1, but you still have a trunk release and aux 2.
I'm puzzled why this is. On the one way units pressing the # button activates aux 1. On two-way units, evidently this does nothing??? Weird that you would loose a feature on the higher end model.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have been trying to program my newly installed AST 1270 for hours now. I would really appreciate some help.
Every time I try to remote start it, it flashes the parking lights 7 times. (no attempts to start, nothing comes on, just 7 parking light flashes).
The manual says this means "tach lockout", whatever that is, or in another chart is says 7 flashes means it did not detect a tach signal. It shouldn't detect a tach signal before the car is started, but I'm guessing that they mean is that the tach hasn't been programmed.
I'm not using the tach, I'm using voltage sense. I've gone into the programming mode and set this many many times.
So I think I need to program the "tach" (voltage sense). The manual says the proceedure is the same for tach or tachless. In the "auto tach learn" section it says to start the car with the key. Then it will flash the parking lights 3 times to indicate it picked up the signal.   But every time I start the car with the key, I just set 7 flashes (about 10 seconds after starting the car).
I've also tried the "quick tach learn", I'm not really how or why this is different than the auto tach learn, but it basically says to press the brake before starting, then press the program button 3 times after starting the car (with the key). Then you are supposed to get the 3 flashes. I always get 7. The instructions aren't clear if you are supposed to hold the brake while starting, continue to hold it after starting, or what. But I've tried it all ways.
Thanks for any help!
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, should have included this page from the manual, in case you want to see the exact instructions yourself:
http://ultrastarters.com/help_files/Updates/Reset_Relearn.pdf
thanks
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Been working on this all day now... I found another post where the guy couldn't get tachless mode to work no matter what he did with this particular unit. So I bit the bullet and ran a tach wire. Now it works.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Just an update on the button-hold-time issue. You don't have to hold down the unlock/lock button for any length of time, you just tap it. (however it doesn't unlock for 1-2 seconds later, kind of annoying).
However, to pop the trunk you have to hold the trunk button for 5 full seconds. PITA.
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I should clarify - this is on the AST Ultra Start 1270.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hook up tach and then program the tach wire. It will work much better that way.
I haven't done an AST unit in about 4 years, but this is what I remember.
If you insist on using tachless....
Key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON
Press antenna button one time....horn beeps once.
Press lock.....horn beeps once.
Press antenna button....wait......horn beeps once.
Hold antenna button....siren chirps twice.....let go of antenna button
Press unlock. Turn OFF ignition. Horn does long beep.
If you don't have the horn wire hooked up, it makes programming extremely difficult for someone who hasn't done it before.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic