icon

01 mercedes e320 w/smart key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
revolutionz_s13 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone ever successfully installed a remote start on one?  I have a e-class with the smart key, and have pretty much found all my wires.  I can get the system(compustar 2w-sspro) to do remote start take over, and crank, so now I just need to get it to bypass the smart key to install on its own.  I have a friend that works at a MB dealer down in florida that told me the IR on the key is only used to unlock the steering deadbolt, and all the start verification is doen through RF.  I am thinking about trying the key with a 556UW and tying into the transponders antenna wires, but there are about 25 wires coming off the back of the key cylinder and I am not sure what wires they are.  Anyone have any ideas?  I think I have it narrowed down to either a brown pair twisted together that sits at ~3.6v all times, or a green pair twisted together that sits at 0v all times.  I know people have put remote starts in these, hopefully someone will share their findings so I can be done with this headache.  Thanks in advance.

-Nate

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
uhhhh, where's howie, and i think even he'll say turn around and run, 01 mercedes e320 w/smart key -- posted image.
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i agree with t&t....stupid sexy mercedes! 
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
revolutionz_s13 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I think I figured out a way I can do it.  It involves a handful of relays and leaving the key in the car in the On position.  I am not worried a bit about theft where I am from.  Basically, I am just going to use relays to cut the power from the ignition and accessory wires from the key being on when I am not in the car, but still giving the remote start the ability to power these wires when activated.  I drew out the wiring on paper tonight and it seems to make sense so i'll try it out later this weekend.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
Let's put it this way.......if you CAN, see I got that one in, PLEASE let us Doubting Thomases know!  By infra red, do you mean plastic key that you place in a slot? I was under the impression you had to bury a parallel version of it with a spare key inside at about £1000!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry just thought of what you said, the twisted green pair is control CAN, the browns should be transponder control.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

revolutionz_s13 wrote:
I think I figured out a way I can do it.  It involves a handful of relays and leaving the key in the car in the On position.  I am not worried a bit about theft where I am from.  Basically, I am just going to use relays to cut the power from the ignition and accessory wires from the key being on when I am not in the car, but still giving the remote start the ability to power these wires when activated.  I drew out the wiring on paper tonight and it seems to make sense so i'll try it out later this weekend.

WOW! your going to leave a key in a car in the on position in a car like that? first, how are you going to keep all those relays energized and not kill the battery? if someone were to disconnect the power to all those relays they could just start the car. and second, dont you think that is just a silly thing to do to a car like this? ive seen hack jobs and rigged up stuff, and even stuff that was installed very nicely but still a dumb idea, just plain dumb. and ive never heard of someone who owned a car like that and wanted to do something like that to it. not saying you cant do it or that you are dumb, but.........you definitly must not be making the payments on this car yourself are you? was it givin to you?

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
i for one would love to see this, won't u guys, 01 mercedes e320 w/smart key -- posted image.
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
revolutionz_s13 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2008 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:

revolutionz_s13 wrote:

WOW! your going to leave a key in a car in the on position in a car like that? first, how are you going to keep all those relays energized and not kill the battery? if someone were to disconnect the power to all those relays they could just start the car. and second, dont you think that is just a silly thing to do to a car like this? ive seen hack jobs and rigged up stuff, and even stuff that was installed very nicely but still a dumb idea, just plain dumb. and ive never heard of someone who owned a car like that and wanted to do something like that to it. not saying you cant do it or that you are dumb, but.........you definitly must not be making the payments on this car yourself are you? was it givin to you?

yep.  In the 25 years I have lived in this small city, only one car that I can remember has been stolen, and it was left running in front of a movie store.  If you had to get up a half hour earlier to go out into -30deg weather every day for 2 months straight to start your car so it might get to a temp above zero inside before you have to go drive somewhere, you would understand why a starter is important to me.  And yes, I bought this car on my own and am making the payments on it.  Also, I designed the wiring so that when the car is off, the relays are not energized, therefore there will be a very minimal power draw from them.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2008 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  

It really isn't 'that' bad of an idea.  Wire all the relays in a NO configuration so there is no power required when the car is off.  When you want to drive the car energize the relays (either with the remote start or a hidden switch - switch could be toggle, magnetice, rfid, key, etc). 

The cool thing about it is if the car is ever in an area where security is a concern you can pull the key.  The remote start won't work, but you still have OEM security.

Most likely, you can ONLY kill the main 12vdc feed that powers the ignition and accessory circuits (assuming there is on).  You may also have to kill a key sense wire, but past that it shouldn't be too difficult.  

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic