icon

2007 silverado new body, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
these trucks are easy, i use a blank key from howard keys and program it and place it in a astcbm(audiovox) or use a 556u only need ignition(pink),accessory,(brown) hot(heavy RED / blk at back of fuse block), ground, pk lites,(ly blue- at switch) brake(blue at switch)locks are in left side of dash or at bcm(in most trucks have yet to find one without) and door triggers are also at each side dash panel
the problem with doing it d.e.i.'s way is if 1701 fails( and they do) truck will not start with key, the 2nd accessor/start wire with resistors isnt needed i do about 2-3 newbody gms a week and have never had issue all it does is store a hidden trouble code for improper key start sequence if 2nd acc wire not used and no tech will think twice if this is found cause could be customer started truck with both keys close together
texas-al 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, you are right. I was thinking about that. I am going to keep a close eye on where the techs are installing the modules so I know where to find it if it does go bad. I could have installed it myself, but I didn't want to deal with warranty problems if the unit does stop working. The BestBuy Techs and any DEI installer I spoke to wanted to go with the 1701g , so I am pretty much stuck with going that route. I like the fact that only a few wires actually go into my truck. It makes me feel better about it. I don't want this new truck's wiring to get messed with too much. Thanks for your input.

-al

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  

texas-al wrote:
... DEI will not honor the warranty if it is not installed by one of their Authorized installers.

Nor will they honor the warranty, if it was purchased from an un-authorized dealer. However, if you can prove purchase from an authorized dealer, you can usually slip by without the installation receipt. BestBuy will not act as the warrantor, like most dealers will. They will give you the product to RMA with the manufacturer. BestBuy warranties the installation, but not the product.

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
texas-al 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

I checked with Viper before purchasing, and they stated that they would honor the warranty as long as an authorized DEI installer  was used. The company I purchased it from sells on dozens of sites, with no complaints at all. This company probably slls dozens of alarms a month, and they also carry evey other sensor from DEI. Their prices aren't all that, so I am assuming that they are getting their products from DEI or something to the like.  I purchased them through Amazon.com and the seller is Sigma Enterprises from Houston, TX. . we'll see how the install goes tomorrow.

-Al

loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
I can only tell you, from experience, that a coversation with someone does not change the warranty clause. It's there to protect DEI and it's authorized dealers/installers. Hopefully, your authorized dealer installer will act as the warrantor for your product.
texas-al 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

OK, not you got me nervous. I went to the website, and here is what they have under warranty:

"Following are instructions for exchanging your defective Directed product* for a replacement unit. We recommend that you first attempt to exchange defective product at the store or dealer** where you purchased it; this is usually the fastest way to get a replacement. For Directed products that were installed in your vehicle by a Directed authorized retailer, you MUST contact the installing retailer for a replacement, and it must be re-installed by professionals per stated warranty terms."

Here is the link to the entire page:  http://www.directed.com/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx

The alarm and bypass module came in the Directed box, so as far as being in compliance with their warranty, I think I am okay. I read on this forum that internet sales are all "illegal" , but when I asked the customer service rep, they said they have lots of stores that sell DEI parts, and as long as the item was in a DEI box, and it was a reputable store, I should be okay. This store sells thousands of items each month, and all their feedback on alarms where great, so I should be okay. The alarm itself it high quality DEI stuff, so it looks good so far. Also, since I am asking Best Buy to install it, I will go back to them for any problems (according to the warranty) , so that works out pretty good. Thanks for your input.

-Al

loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a quick test. Is the retailer you bought it from an authorized dealer? If no, then the warranty is void. If yes, then call the retailer and ask to see a copy of their dealership license. BestBuy will be of no help to you, in the event you need to make a warranty claim.
texas-al 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Well, if you are correct, then I am SOL.  I hope everything works out okay, and I don't need to use the warranty.

-Al

loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
It's a toss up, as to whether or not DEI will verify the retailer, during a warranty claim. I'm just making you aware.
texas-al 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2009 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your input. Install went well, and I love this alarm. The features are awesome!

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic