icon

ultrastart u1271m, 2000 frontier problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ninno 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a Ultrastart U1271M in a 2000 Nissan Frontier with manual tranny  today and i can not get it to remote start, or even go into reservation mode. i have made the following connections:

U1271----------------------------Frontier

Red(2)----------------------------Green 12v

Yellow----------------------------BLACK / YELLOW stripe-starter 1

Green----------------------------WHITE/ Blue stripe-Acc

White-----------------------------RED / Yellow stripe-Ign 2

Blue-------------------------------Blach/White stripe-Ign 1

parking brake----------yellow wire at switch( verified a ground when brake is pulled)

brake shutdown----------BROWN / red stripe at switch

door trigger-----------------RED / black stripe at smart entry module

i know i need to connect both starter wires for remote start, but the unit will not even go into reservation mode, which leaves the car running until all doors are closed and locked to verify car is left in neutral. i wanted to make sure the unit worked( by hitting the start button while the key is still in, like pit stop features) before i built the two relay circuit for the dual starter wires. Also on the following site 

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=14127&MakeID=5 

it states to make a relay circuit for the ACC wire, but im not sure if that is just for their models.

Here is the manual for the series i installed

http://www.ultrastarters.com/Feature_Sheets/X2XXM/MAN-X2XXM-INSTALL-U-2006-04.pdf 

i also tried another u1271 module with the same results. i keep getting 4 short flashes when pressing the start button from outside, and i do get the 2 light flashes when trying to put it into reservation mode, but the car will not stay running likr the instruction state. im sorry to write a book, but i like to explain as much as i can. thaks for any responses. i might not have the truck again till tuesday or next weekend. thanks.nino.

ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
can you tell me more about the nuetral safety switch in a nissan. ive got a nissan frontier 2000 with a manual tranny. i installed  a ultrastart 1271m and cannot get it to remote start. is it possible to tap a neutral safety into maybe the hood pin, with a relay wired that when grounded changes polarity to a positive and tapped along with the brake shutdown wire input on a automatic only remote start unit. i cannot get this unit to work!
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Did you do tach learn? 
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
yes. tach learning procedure did seem to hold. i waited about 30 second and the parking lights blinked twice confirming that tack was learned. the car will also blink twice when attempting either type of reservation mode, but it wont stay running. thanks.nino.
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  
try this.  Put it into reservation mode, and try starting it with the r/s while you sit in it with the clutch pushed in(truck in neutral of course).  Before you do all of that, can you put it into reservation mode properly? Press brake(twice?  I haven't used mine in a long time), pull hand brake, park lights come on and stay on, remove key, truck/lights stay on until you open and close door. 
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

i tried different things, and reservation mode still would not keep the truck running. i would do the steps. pull e-brake, step on brake pedal twice, truck would flash lights twice, but once key was turned off the truck would also shut off. so i assume reservation mode was never acheived. i tried with door opened and closed. i verified e-brake ground, door switch ground, hood was not open. the remote starter will never start the truck until reservation mode is done, id like to see if theres something wrong with the brain, but i dont think so because i tried a different brain and also could not get reservation mode. tach was learned, i used a pink/blue strip wire at the cluster. i also used 2 ignition even though some tech sheets only show 1.

anybody know how to get it to remote start by bypassing a couple wires just to see if the starter works on its own. can i ground the e-brake wire, pulse the brake wire twice and see if the truck stays running. im pretty sure i tried that, cant remember, i wont see the truck again till saturday.

can i use an automatic only remote starter with that dei module for manual trannys the 689m? any other suggestions for a manual only unit with keyless and remote start

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  
You shouldn't need any kind of fancy relay setup for the second starter wire.
Your RED / yellow "ignition 2" wire is really an accessory, which operates the heater and air conditioner.
Your WHITE/ blue is the second accessory, and it just operates the radio, and some other non-essential items.
Move your Ultra's accessory wire to the cars' RED / yellow. Move the Ultra's Ignition 2 wire to the car's second starter wire, open the little cover on the brain, and move the jumper from "ign" to "start" or whatever it says in there.
Now, the radio won't come on during remote start, but you'll have your two starter wires without building relay packs.
As for the other part.......
Well, it wouldn't hurt to simplify things just for testing purposes:
1. Temporarily unplug the hood pin switch. You can worry about that last, after you get everything working.
2. Temporarily disconnect the door trigger wire too. If you can get it to go into reservation mode with the door trigger undone, then you'll know that the door trigger must somehow be incorrect.
3. Your idea of manually trigger the foot brake and parking brake wires is a good one, but do it one at a time, so if you get it working, you know where you went wrong.
Maybe first disconnect the parking brake wire from the car, and ground it manually, but leave the foot brake connected as it is.
I've installed a couple of Ultra manual-transmission remote starters, and they worked fine......the reservation process wasn't as simple as Compustar, but they worked.
I think it goes like this:
1. Move car into parking spot, with your foot on the regular brake.
2. Apply parking brake, release foot brake.
3. Apply and release foot brake again.
4. Unit should click (and chirp siren if connected), and then after a second or two you should be able to take the key out and the engine should stay running.
P.S. They have two types of reservation processes. There's one that's automatic by just using the pedals (as described above), and there's another that you have to push buttons on the remote to make it go into reservation mode.
So go into your programming menu and check if you're set to that automated reservation mode or not.
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
thanks ill try it that way as soon as i can get to it. ill let u guys know.
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

ok i got it to go into reservation mode, the hood pin was showing ground up or down( used factory hood pin). so reservation mode works car keeps running and shuts off once the last door is closed. but when i try to remote start it seems to turn on igntion but never cranks. i did redo the wiring like advised buy chris. after the second remote start attempt light will blink 8 times on one press again to remote start. the book shows no reference to 8 blinks. then when pressed again i get 7 blinks which states "tach lockout see dealer".

ive done many succesful installs, this is my first manual tranny install and i have a waiting list of manual tranny cars, but i need to make sure these ultrastart units will be convenient for my customers.

any suggestions. should i remove and install a compustar. how about a automatic  model with the dei 689m. all suggestions welcome and appreciated.

97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Double check to make sure you tapped the correct wire for the hoodpin:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1617.html

Next, I would double check I had the right tach wire and attempt to re-learn it.  I've seen a couple of mine(manual & auto) do the tach lockout thing on me as well.  What's wierd is if I wait a couple minutes afterwards or drive the car, it would crank and start.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic