icon

pioneer ts-sw301 shallow mount subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armyboy521 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I have been installing and building boxes for my own car for a while now but have decided to start doing it right now lol I just have a couple basic questions I am going to be getting 2 Pioneer TS-SW301 they are the shallow mount design I am gonna be running them at a 2 - ohm load (thank you 12 volt for that) they can handle 1000watts peak and 250w rms do you think a 1000w mono amp will be enough to push these and has anyone ever heard these shallow mounts pound before do they sound good?
would greatly appreciate some input and thanks for everything i have learned so far
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
No. A 1000 watt amp is twice what you should be seeking for those woofers. Unless you ABSOLUTLEY know what you are doing, you run the very real risk of blowing them, especially in a vented enclosure.
And, no. Those woofers sound like crap, IMO. The JL shallow-mounts, however... Still not a GREAT sounding woofer, but certainly better sounding than the Pioneers.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input now that i think about your right that is to much power but they would be going in a sealed enclosure and i am mainly looking for spl not sq they are going in my standard cab ranger so i don't really have that much room
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Even in a sealed enclosure, that would be too much power. You know this already, I'm just sayin'.
If you want SPL, look elsewhere. The Pioneer shallows do neither SPL or SQ well, although they do lean toward the SPL side of the equation. One good SPL woofer, on 1kW would offer FAR better SPL. What's your budget and dimensions (depth, most specifically...)?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
If you absolutely have no room for any other woofers, then you have to use them.  If you can fit anything else in the vehicle, you really need to steer clear of those speakers. 
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Them woofs are a solution to a problem, thats all. The problem being no space.

If thats all you got room for.... use em. If you got more space, DON'T use em.

These things don't do SPL, nor do they give you SQ.

What kind of vehicle?

armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Even in a sealed enclosure, that would be too much power. You know this already, I'm just sayin'.
If you want SPL, look elsewhere. The Pioneer shallows do neither SPL or SQ well, although they do lean toward the SPL side of the equation. One good SPL woofer, on 1kW would offer FAR better SPL. What's your budget and dimensions (depth, most specifically...)?
i am looking at making an angled box that was why the shallow mounts would have worked so well at the most i could go 6in wide at the bottom and 4in wide at the top i had built a box for 1 10 down firing behind the passenger seat but that ate up way much room and when anybody sat in my truck they were scrunched in there I stand at 5 ft 8 and i don't want to feel like a sardine
appreciate all the help guys
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Them woofs are a solution to a problem, thats all. The problem being no space.

If thats all you got room for.... use em. If you got more space, DON'T use em.

These things don't do SPL, nor do they give you SQ.

What kind of vehicle?

it's a 94 standard cab ranger 5 speed
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a bed cover?
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
/\ no i don't have a bed cover