Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, thanks for your help.
Protect what's yours.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
Have any of you actually damaged an FET from static electricity?
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I have I was installing them in a car Amplifier and it didn't work. 

I found out from the school of hard knocks that you must wear a grounding strap and absoloutly no wool or poly.

I tried to return them to the electronics store I bought them at and they ended up selling me this rinkey dink wrist band with a  wire and clip. I ended up making my own by wraping some wire around my metal band flexable wrist watch and running a wire to a water pipe.

Most houses these days have plastic pipes so I had to run a 4 ft rebarb into the ground and tie the other end of the wire to that.

Another easy way is to wrap a strand of wire around all of the pins before you solder it into the board and unwrap the wire after it is soldered in. I also use a grounded soldering iron.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

I guess that I am a permanent ground.  I have even tried to zap them with no luck, walking across the carpet  charging my body and then touch the device.  Have tried on several occasions.  I know several people who do this for a living, nobody uses any kind of protection.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I guess that I am a permanent ground.  I have even tried to zap them with no luck, walking across the carpet  charging my body and then touch the device.  Have tried on several occasions.  I know several people who do this for a living, nobody uses any kind of protection.

same here, ive never zapped anything. ive even tried. i also know several people including my brother who do this for a living and have never zapped anything and never use a grounging strap. i asked my brother about using one and he just laughed at me. Weird. hotwaterwizard must just has that "magic" touch that wizards have.decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image.

hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

Some devices are more sensitive than others.

A regular FET is not sensitive.

MOSFET is. IRFZ40 for example is static sensitive that is why they send them in a special shielded bag.

Stockton California
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
You guys aren't suggesting ESD damage is a myth?
There's a great deal of variation in ESD susceptibility. Depends on the type of components you're dealing with, humidity in the air, clothing, shoes, etc.
If you work with regular transistors all the time you're more likely to get away without protection, but components with high impedance inputs are going to be much more liable to get damaged. And damage can be latent, where it's not an immediate outright failure but degraded operation. Not always as obvious a result as with condoms maybe but it's just a matter of reducing the odds of a mishap..decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Not having personally seen the earth isn't really flat, doesn't mean it is-
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

haha, calm down dualsport. of course we are not suggesting that. that would be just plain ignorant now wouldnt it? what we are saying, is that we have never done it before. even on purpose ive never done it. ive tried. not saying it doesnt happen......saying ive never been able to do it (knock on wood).decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
what not enough smilies?decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image. decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image. decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image. decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
decifer diagram? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Stockton California
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic