icon

remote start and immobilizer interface

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calhounmike 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

I will try to be as descriptive as possible:    Vehicle   2003 Isuzu Axiom   (Transponder type immobilizer)

Product:   Ready Remote "Remote Start Model 24921   and 556U immobilizer Interface.

I first installed the "Remote Start"  along with the tach wire and hood latch switch.   So far so good.   Went through the program steps and things were looking good.   Also programed the tack wire when I had it running on one of my attempts  When I hit the start the accessories would come on and hear some clicking and instrument panel would light up and go off.    I noticed a car symbol with key in it flash.    First clue.    I would stick the key in the switch and leave off and presto it would start everytime.    

After further research I decided I needed a 556U immobilizer bypass.   I went to a local store and they agreed.    They said they could not flash program it for that model.    I said ok and left.  I only have two keys.   Got this used and never received a valet key.    I plan on getting one or two made since one will be used in the box and I will have a spare one.   Easy enough to get one of those made that I can put in the box.   I decided to use one of my current two till I got everything hooked up and tested.     So I hooked in the hot and the ground from the harness.   I also connected the blue status output from the 24921 remote start to the blue wire on the immobilizer  by pass.   I  put the ring around the switch and connected each connector.    I opened the box to put my key in and saw a issue right away.    My manuf key will not fit in the sensing box.     So i partially stuck it under thinking that it should recognize it for a temp test.    Exact same issue as before I.    Car symbol flashes and it goes through several retries but never kicks in the starter.

Any advice would really be appreciated.    Everything works just fine if I put the key in the switch.

Thanks, Mie

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
it's ok if it doesn't fit. Just make sure the head is in the coil, then cut the end of the 556U to let the key stick thru. Make sure the ring around the cylinder is tight and as far out as possible....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
calhounmike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Mike M2,

I did not tighten the ring down at all and I will change it to be out to the front as far as possible and as tight as possible tomorrow.    The problem with the key head is that it has a 1/4 raised hump down the center of it which will not let the head go in the rectangular sensing coil in the box.   I don't think there is anything I can cut or modify to allow it in.   I get about 1/4 inch of the top of the key head in it.    I am hoping if I get the valet key made it will fit but I am not sure it will work.

I tried sticking the key in as far as possible but it does not sense it or I don't have the loop tight enough or out to the front.

I will try that tomorrow night and let you know.   Hopefully the guy can make a valet key tomorrow and I can take that out of the equation.   I am so close but 1.5 days is frustrating and I have been scratching my head a lot.....   LOL 

Thanks for the advice.   I will give another shot tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
sometimes i dont even put a key in the box because it leaves a key to possibly be found. in those cases i just cut the transponder out of the key head with a razor and hot glue it in the box where it needs to be. and it still gives you an extra key for the doors.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
Why is is that the key won't fit?
Is it one of those keys with a very big head, with the keyless remote built into the head of the key?
If so, the head of the key should come apart for battery replacement. There could be a little area where you pry it open, or a small screw you must remove, or both.
See if it'll fit inside there after you get the battery cover off.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
hehehe..i just shove the key in hard, make it fit!
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
calhounmike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  

ckeeler, Chris and Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I will get back to working on it when I get home this evening.   I will take the transponder out of the key or at least the battery cover off and slide it in.   Not sure I could even force it in if I wanted and with my luck on this one I wold end up with board and  peices all over.   Again long term I will have a valet key that will work once I figure out the system will work.

I will let you know my progress tomorrow.   I will also tighten up the ring around the switch.

Thanks again for the advice, Mike  

calhounmike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

Ok Guys,

Got to swing by the house between jobs.   I took the back off the key and got the key in the sensing loop.   It was still a very tight fit.   Which I guess is good.  

Second I tightened up the loop around the switch.   I took the tape off and saw two very tiny wires hooked and realized it wasn't adjustable.  So I taped it back up and taped a little slack on one side together.

I also tested that I have hot coming in on Red, black to ground, and blue to blue on my remote start.   I have both junctions hooked in box...    I have not been putting the cover on the bypass while testing but I don't see where that could make a difference.

Just like I don't have the remote bypass on.    Hear clicking and car symbol with key flashes for the three cycles that it tries.   I stick a key in the switch and it starts right up.   

UGH!!   Thanks for all of the suggestions.   Anymore advice would be helpful.

Mike

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
I was going to be facetious but Mr. Keeler got there first. Let me give you Howard's rule of thumb but please bear in mind that in the UK the alarm part is usually a Cat 1 type which means we are immobilising two circuits anyway therefore the transponder is not needed. The only vehicles (to my experience) which  require a 556 type by-pass (not talking about the latest CAN equipped units) are VW-Audi group and BMW because the factory antenna is low powered. On ALL others especially Japanese and Korean, I remove that chip and after testing, including waiting 5 mins for the transponder to turn off, I glue it to the antenna ring in the position that gives the best response. Second method if this doesn't work would be to remove the ring and bury a key in it. Don't forget this "switches off" the transponder. Also with Fords and Mazda you would have to remove the chips from BOTH keys. The advantage is with replacement keys you would only need the key, not the whole thing with chip thus only a few bucks. Last point, be very careful when removing the chip, they tend to be VERY fragile.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I was going to be facetious but Mr. Keeler got there first. Let me give you Howard's rule of thumb but please bear in mind that in the UK the alarm part is usually a Cat 1 type which means we are immobilising two circuits anyway therefore the transponder is not needed. The only vehicles (to my experience) which  require a 556 type by-pass (not talking about the latest CAN equipped units) are VW-Audi group and BMW because the factory antenna is low powered. On ALL others especially Japanese and Korean, I remove that chip and after testing, including waiting 5 mins for the transponder to turn off, I glue it to the antenna ring in the position that gives the best response. Second method if this doesn't work would be to remove the ring and bury a key in it. Don't forget this "switches off" the transponder. Also with Fords and Mazda you would have to remove the chips from BOTH keys. The advantage is with replacement keys you would only need the key, not the whole thing with chip thus only a few bucks. Last point, be very careful when removing the chip, they tend to be VERY fragile.

I did a Mazda Miata that i had to do this to and I broke the chip. It was quite brittle. Luckily because I had to remove the other chip as well from the other key i was okay. I just used the second chip. And I was much more careful.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic