icon

remote start, 2004 subaru wrx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brettwhunter 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
The only suggestion AST tech support had was a six word email; "Use the manual tach learn procedure." I have attempted all of the troubleshooting and programming steps (including the brake pedal thing) with no results, and nowhere in the literature for the unit do they even mention a manual tach learning procedure.
The only other solution I have found to this problem was connecting to a coil wire, opposed to an injector wire or the tach wire at the ECM. This allegedly solved the same behavior on a Ford F150. However, if all three wires display the same AC voltage signal, this will not help your problem anymore than it has mine. I was leaning towards a replacement unit, but you say your substitute behaved the same way as the original unit.
My only other thoughts are that perhaps the AC signal is out of what the unit considers valid range (high or low). What was the voltage range you were seeing on your meter from idle-accelerated? This would not explain why the unit will not operate in "tachless" mode though, and my unit behaves the same.
The seller I purchased my unit from claims his tech can "walk me through it" on Monday; I'll post any results I have from that experience.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein
mtlman 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
 yea that would be great! they have an auto learn and quick learn procedure for Tach learning,but like you said it does the same in Tachless mode too. i hade the Tach wire hooked to the Tach wire off of the ECM originally and i was told that  was the problem because it was not the correct Voltage which i do agree with because looking in my paperwork the Tach wire is either a constant 0v in off Pos. or 12v when running which wouldnt be a alternating current. so i changed it to an injector wire. like i said before there are only 2 wires each for every injector and one is a constant 12v when key is on which would not be a waveform type voltage which it "must be" for it to work properly and the other wires are the wires from the ECM to the injectors which are in a waveform type signal and still no workie!  i had .8v AC at the wire while on idle and i did not check for how much on off idle becuase i just got fed up! according to AST tech support they said its not a matter off too much or too less voltage for the tach wire signal,its a matter of an alternating current which increases when the vehicle starts. Basicly if it were hooked to 12v constant when vehicle started it still should not work! at this point im lost and i just dont want to keep getting into the wiring harness over and over.
mtlman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
 it doesnt matter how much voltage there is.it just needs to be a waveform type voltage that increases when the car starts and like u said hooking it to the coil as opposed to an injector shouldnt mean anything cause they both have the same type voltage?
mtlman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
 now that i think about it ...how did i get .8v because the voltage should of been changing if it were a waveform?
brettwhunter 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

Using a digital multimeter you will not observe the 0 crossover when it is set  to read an AC signal, it will only display your peak voltage. Keep in mind that regular household AC current cycles back and forth 60 times every second, you only really need to know RMS. This information is moot however, if what you're saying about the voltage level is true. I have a valid AC signal being delivered to the unit, if the voltage level makes no difference, then there has got to be another explanation.

I did receive a response from AST tech support on the manual tach learning procedure, it was as follows:

"Make sure the system is connected to a tach then reset. Start the car with the key then jump the yellow and red wires on the 6-pin connector for 3 seconds. The module should click twice when you remove the jumper."

I have not had opportunity to try this myself, but I will post my results when I do get the chance. Good luck, and please let me know if this works for you.

mtlman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
oh ok i never herd about that method yet. and according to what AST support told me the module doesnt care how much or how little voltage there is as long as its  alternating and rises when the car is running.obviously i had 0v engine off and.8v AC while on idle and based on what they said i should be good,because its an alternating voltage and it increases with engine running?
brettwhunter 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that is what I would assume based on the information provided. If that is the case, you would be in the exact same predicament as myself. The unit is receiving a valid AC signal, but not tach learning. Attempting the "manual learning procedure", as according to AST tech support, would be your next move as well as my own.
The following is my email correspondence with AST tech support, hope this helps! (I have removed only my personal contact info):
Make sure the system is connected to a tach then reset. Start the car with the key then jump the yellow and red wires on the 6-pin connector for 3 seconds. The module should click twice when you remove the jumper.
Thank you,
Terry Thompson
AST Technical Support Manager
Support 877-598-2100 ext 1
Sales dial ext 2
Orders dial ext 3
Warranty dial ext 4
----- Original Message -----
To: "'ULTRA START'" <support@ultrastarters.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:45 PM
Subject: RE: Service Request Form
Terry,
WOW, what a fast response, I greatly appreciate it!
I cannot find information on the manual tach learning procedure in the installation or owner's guides. I have attempted to perform what the install guide calls a "Quick Tach Learn", where you depress the brake pedal>start the vehicle>press the program button 2-3 times within 2 seconds.
I have also attempted the troubleshooting techniques described on your webpage, but could use some clarification there. I have reset the unit and tried to relearn multiple times, and I have insured a good solid ground. The troubleshooting instructions say to check all connections (this has been done, all connections are correct and properly soldered), and if the connections are good they say to attempt jumping the ignition input to 12v source. However, the install guide only lists an ignition output. What is the pin-to-pin for this process, 12v to the #6 in the six pin connector?
If you could provide instructions on the manual learning procedure, or provide any further insight I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brett W Hunter - EET
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:19 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Service Request Form
Use the manual tach learn procedure.
Thank you,
Terry Thompson
AST Technical Support Manager
Support 877-598-2100 ext 1
Sales dial ext 2
Orders dial ext 3
Warranty dial ext 4
----- Original Message -----
To: <support@ultrastarters.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:00 PM
Subject: Service Request Form
> Here is the information submitted to
> www.ultrastarters.com/form_mail/service_request_form.php from
on Saturday, December 27th, 2008 at 5:00 pm.
> ------------------------
> My Drop Down 1: Technical Support Question
>
> Company Name:
>
> First Name: Brett
>
> Last Name: Hunter
>
> Address:
>
> City: Davenport
>
> State or Prov:
>
> Zip or Postal Code:
>
> Phone Number:
>
> Comment: G11 will not see a tach signal from 05 Malibu Classic.Code > "7 flashes" in tach or tachless mode.AC tach signal (2-4 volts)
> being delivered to unit.Keyless entry and other work great.Good
> ground.
mtlman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
yea that method is worth a shot,but i still dont see how that would work because your forcing it manually to see a Tach signal but when not jumped and on normal operation it still wont see a signal to know when to shut the starter off because it doesnt see one now as it is?
mtlman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Now do they want you to remove those two wires out of the plug and jump them removed and not connected to the module? or just jump them as is..still in plug?
brettwhunter 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
You're asking the wrong person, I don't know. Honestly, I'm not sure I would trust the advice given by these AST guys. When I get a chance, I'll give this process a try and post my results.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic